PDA

View Full Version : Does this make you mad too?

Mandy-Jane
12-20-2006, 09:17 AM
We got a Christmas card in the mail today from a car tyre company that my husband went to when he needed new tyres. A Christmas card! He went there once, will probably never go there again, and they send us a Christmas card. I thought the purpose of Christmas cards was to let people know that you care about them and that you're thinking of them, not to suck up to people so that they become repeat customers. I was so angry, I just threw it in the bin straight away.

Anyone agree?

A. Hamilton
12-20-2006, 09:22 AM
Ha! These days, the only cards I get are from businesses. The dentist and the pediatrician both send nice strong refridgerator magnets and another one (tire shop?) sends a useful calendar.
I hate to admit this, but I'm horrible at sending out Christmas cards. I have gone through stages of good intentions through the years, and have a box fulll of cards in various stages of readiness from years past, some even stamped and addressed, but none sent.
All my friends and family gradually gave up I think this year, finally. I have not received a single personal card yet.
The family newsletters however, were the last to go.

ChaosTitan
12-20-2006, 09:39 AM
Re: thread title. Nope.

The company spent the time and money to send a card. My insurance company does that. I read it, smile, and then toss it into the trash. No sense in getting frustrated over something so silly. ;)

CaoPaux
12-20-2006, 09:40 AM
I generally appreciate it when companies spend a stamp to acknowledge $$$ I've given them the previous year, even if I don't expect to use them again. I might even remember to refer someone to them should occasion arise.

billythrilly7th
12-20-2006, 10:02 AM
I think it was very nice of them.

"Merry Christmas, tire store!"
It's a Wonderful Life

poetinahat
12-20-2006, 10:32 AM
"Thank you for your card. But why?

Signed,

The Goldbergs/Hassans/Singhs/Ishikawas"

Kentuk
12-20-2006, 10:37 AM
Now you know you paid too much.

dpaterso
12-20-2006, 11:35 AM
Heck I would have welcomed it, any Christmas card is a good Christmas card as far as I'm concerned, no one ever sends me cards. Oh, we must have received 100+ cards by now, but they're all for Miss friggin Congeniality "& partner" or somesuch wording. They don't even remember my name.

Behind every great woman is an insignificant man...

-Derek

whistlelock
12-20-2006, 11:48 AM
I loath Christmas cards.

Loath them.

Cards for a list of people you don't bother with the rest of the year? and getting one, that's supposed to make me feel better? Some pasteboard with a pithee or sappy saying?

You couldn't be bothered to contact me throughout the rest of the year, but some vapid pre-conceived art along with a emotionally meaningless statement is supposed to show some sort of connection?

Bah!

dpaterso
12-20-2006, 11:59 AM
Point taken, tho' connecting once a year is better than never. (But if they didn't contact you... does that mean you didn't contact them?)

I must admit to never reading the printed wording in cards, maybe a glance at the graphic in case there's a joke, then the signature. And I update the phone/address book if anyone gives a new address on their envelope or card. So there's a practical side, sometimes.

Just think of all those card company employees bringing food home to their grateful families. Warms your heart doesn't it?

-Derek

whistlelock
12-20-2006, 12:07 PM
No.

It pisses me off!

Get a real job, you bums!

Stop mucking up my crappy holiday! Let me suffer without having to worry about my mailbox being over loaded.

oswann
12-20-2006, 12:54 PM
I disagree with everyone. This is exactly what companies should be doing. Thay should be sending you a best wishes card they should be ringing you asking if everything is okay. They should be asking if there is anything they can do for you and not to you. This is the way to create happy customers and passionate users.

If you're smart you should be doing the same thing too. Ring your bank manager and wish him or her happy holidays or send a card to the insurance comapany and see how your relationship changes. Stop whining and appreciate the human contact.

Os.

Mandy-Jane
12-20-2006, 01:14 PM
I disagree with everyone. This is exactly what companies should be doing. Thay should be sending you a best wishes card they should be ringing you asking if everything is okay. They should be asking if there is anything they can do for you and not to you. This is the way to create happy customers and passionate users.

That's all very nice, but it seems very rare in the real world. And I still think a plain Christmas card (which wasn't even personalised) sent to a customer whom they wouldn't even remember, is just silly.

If you're smart you should be doing the same thing too. Ring your bank manager and wish him or her happy holidays or send a card to the insurance comapany and see how your relationship changes. Stop whining and appreciate the human contact.

Os.

The manager of my bank wouldn't know me if he fell over me in the street, and I'm sure my insurance company couldn't care less if I sent them a card or not.

It still makes me mad.

oswann
12-20-2006, 01:17 PM
That's all very nice, but it seems very rare in the real world. And I still think a plain Christmas card (which wasn't even personalised) sent to a customer whom they wouldn't even remember, is just silly.

If it's not personalised it's bollocks. If your bank manager doesn't know you get another bank. The relationship you have changes if you have two banks. It's business.

I'm sorry you're still mad.

Os.

aadams73
12-20-2006, 02:10 PM
We received one from the car dealer we purchased my car from...five fricking years ago. It looked quite lovely lying on top of the empty egg box, and next to the red pepper scraps. It wasn't personalized, just had his signature scrawled at the bottom.

Mandy-Jane
12-20-2006, 02:42 PM
I should say that it was totally not personalised - it was just a card with nothing written in it except the name of the company. We get birthday cards from our mortgage bureau, but at least they have our names handwritten on them, so I don't mind that so much.

I should also say that I'm not so mad anymore, just annoyed.

alices
12-20-2006, 02:47 PM
Guess the old adage, “It’s the thought that counts,” is dead.

aadams73
12-20-2006, 02:54 PM
No, if there is an actual thought besides "buy more stuff from us" it counts.

oswann
12-20-2006, 03:03 PM
No, if there is an actual thought besides "buy more stuff from us" it counts.

Of course this is the thought but we do buy and if we are going to buy we have to choose where. If I have a good contact with a tire company I will buy my tires there and not down the road. In fact if I am really impressed I will tell a friend to buy there too. I maintain that a sense of proximity and human contact will not only persuade us to buy but make us actually want to buy.

Os.

The Gorn
12-20-2006, 03:06 PM
Guess the old adage, ďItís the thought that counts,Ē is dead.

It sure seems that way in here.:cry:

aadams73
12-20-2006, 03:11 PM
Good service is what makes me go back, not a completely non-personal Christmas card. I feel so overloaded by advertising in all forms during the Christmas season that non-personalized cards mean absolutely nothing to me. It's just another bit of paper I have to throw in the trash.

K1P1
12-20-2006, 03:46 PM
Last night I came home and saw a red envelope with the return address of my publisher in the stack of mail. Obviously another corporate Christmas card, I thought. But when I opened it I discovered a card designed for them (probably by their art department), with cartoons of people doing and making things their how-to books cover. And inside, I discovered that everyone at the company who's met me, including the president, had written a personal note about my book, my next book, advice I'd given them personally, or my other interests.I couldn't believe it!

ETA: I don't mind the corporate cards that come from individuals within a company, or the ones that are actually signed by everyone who works at a small company or at an office I deal with. It's the ones from corporate headquarters with no signature at all that are too impersonal. And my insurance agent sends cards at Christmas and on birthdays that include prepaid long distance phone cards as a reminder to call him if you need him. Those come in handy.

Unique
12-20-2006, 05:25 PM
I save all my cards. All of them.

When I am very, very old I will have something to do whilst I sit in my rocker. Help keep ancient Unique off the streets. Send her a card! :D

tourdeforce
12-20-2006, 06:01 PM
To actually be angry about getting a Christmas card is a complete over-reaction.

BardSkye
12-20-2006, 06:31 PM
I sent out my first corporate Christmas cards this year. I sent one to my printer for taking an impossibly short time to print and ship the book in time for the launch. I sent one to the stores who agreed to stock it and see how it did. I sent one to the authors with their first royalty cheques. I sent one to the reviewer who gave us our first review.

They're limited edition cards not available through anyone else and signed by the president and only employee, me.

I sent them to say "You probably don't remember me but I remember you and wanted to say thanks for helping get this venture off the ground."

Shadow_Ferret
12-20-2006, 07:00 PM
Personally, I"m mad that you can't spell tires. :tongue

I appreciate any effort by any establishment to recognize that I spent some money with them. I even put the Christmas cards from my realtor, our vet, our mortgage company, our car saleman, etc. etc. etc. out along side the ones from my family and friends.

MidnightMuse
12-20-2006, 07:19 PM
I like just about any mail that isn't a bill.

Then again, I've been wandering around town for a week handing presents to strangers, so go figure.

truelyana
12-20-2006, 07:52 PM
I think its sweet, they went through all the trouble of doing that. :)

tourdeforce
12-20-2006, 07:56 PM
Personally, I"m mad that you can't spell tires.

Is 'tyres' the hobbit spelling?

Jaycinth
12-20-2006, 07:57 PM
Just about every company I've worked for sends out cards at this time of the year. it is a nice way to acknowledge the people ...customers...who are the reason the company exists in the first place.

The two places I worked that did not send out holiday greetings were miserable places to work filled with mostly miserable people and I was glad to leave them.

So here is a big holiday hug!

Del
12-20-2006, 08:22 PM
Mostly it is just direct mail advertising. You are more likely to open a Christmas card that to look at a flyer. On occasion I have received cards from businesses with thought behind them but usually it is just a "don't forget us" sort of thing. My realtor sends not only Christmas cards but birthdays cards for each of us. It is a computer generated list. No thought at all so it means nothing to us, or him for that matter. Advertising. It is junk mail and treated as such.

TrainofThought
12-20-2006, 08:37 PM
It doesnít bother me. The company I work for and my broker sent me Christmas cards and my company donated money to a fund in my name. Businesses send coupons, cards, etc. to keep your business or to get new business Ė itís marketing. Iíd rather receive the yearly Christmas card then junk mail or email from the companies. Sometimes the fronts of their Christmas cards are beautiful. I hang up all of my cards. This year, I received more Christmas cards from businesses than I have my family, now that annoys me. Itís pure laziness on their part.

Iím annoyed with solicitation calls, not a Christmas card from a company who serviced me.

C.bronco
12-20-2006, 08:41 PM
Angry? No. Some years we don't get a lot of cards, and I like to tape them around the opening to my dining room all festive-like. I'll take any extras, they make me look more popular!

(SF: P.S. "tyres" is middle English. The spelling can be traced back to Canterbury Tales, I think.)

veinglory
12-20-2006, 08:47 PM
Most of my cards this year were from my publishers. It made me go out and get some cards and send them. Next year I'll have a full list and maybe a few people will wonder why I am sending one to them :)

NeuroFizz
12-20-2006, 08:57 PM
The card does reek of "keep your business with us," but it also carries a "thank you for your business" ring to it. If you think the handshake when you leave their showroom is any more genuine, you're mistaken. Do you refuse to shake the salesperson's hand because it's such a blatant attempt to forward a nameless "come back and spend more money with us" gesture? Shame on that business for making Christmas so commercial. Next thing you know, everyone will be doing it. You know, businesses will start advertising with a Christmas theme after Halloween, and the biggest shopping day of the year will be the day after Thanksgiving. Then what will this joyous occasion become?

Shadow_Ferret
12-20-2006, 08:58 PM
(SF: P.S. "tyres" is middle English. The spelling can be traced back to Canterbury Tales, I think.)
Thanks for the histori lesson. I know. I was just being funni.

TrainofThought
12-20-2006, 09:43 PM
Thanks for the histori lesson. I know. I was just being funni.Your knot spelting tings corectly. That was hard to type.

MMcC
12-20-2006, 09:52 PM
It's clearly a marketing tool, but getting mad? It's a card. Meant to be a nice gesture, meant to perhaps create good will and inspire you to return for business. If you don't like the business, you don't go back.

It's certainly kinder and gentler than unsolicited phone calls.

Jcomp
12-21-2006, 01:13 AM
I wouldn't be mad or moved. It's good business. What are the odds of offending someone with a Christmas card so bad that they won't buy from you again if they got good service the first time? Now weigh the odds of someone being influenced to buy from you again because they got a Christmas card when they didn't expect it? It's good business...

sassandgroove
12-21-2006, 01:36 AM
We got our Mortgage in Oct, and before we made one payment it was sold off to another bank, and I've gotten three cards from mymortgage guy. A thank you card, and thanksgiving card, and a christmas card. I hang them up next to the card from the guy I bought my car from three years ago.
Why would I get mad? If it did bother me, which it doesn't, why would I waste my energy getting mad? If you don't want it throw it away.

JennaGlatzer
12-21-2006, 01:40 AM
I'm fascinated. Guess who sent me a card? Google! I just got it in the mail. Merry Christmas, Google. I ain't mad at'cha. :)

Cat Scratch
12-21-2006, 03:01 AM
It's basically a form of junk mail. Do you get mad every time you receive junk mail? If so, that's a lot of mad.

The shop where my husband bought my engagement ring still sends us a generic card every year on our Anniversary. Which is sweet because it's called The Wedding Ring Shop, and it's not like we're planning to get engaged/married ever again. It's just a nice acknowledgement of our business with a personal touch. I'd definitely recommend them to a friend.

jbal
12-21-2006, 04:05 AM
The theme is, people that send them aren't annoyed by them.
I send them, though not for Christmas, just thank you's for people who buy something expensive from me. They are all hand written though (which I guess is a plus), and I try to remember something we talked about. e.g. Hope your daughter's swim meet was great" or whatever. People call me all the time and thank me for the cards, but probably a few just say "that jerk" and toss 'em.

Now....wait till you get the card from the cops. "Thanks for paying your ticket, I bought the world's biggest jelly doughnut. Man, that thing is still in my fridge"