Little Help? I'm Tripping over Submission Hoops.

Status
Not open for further replies.

aliajohnson

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alissa-johnson.com
If this should be elsewhere please let me know. Thanks!

Last month I got a request for a partial from a great agent in which she requested a more detailed outline of my manuscript. I erred and sent her a more detailed synopsis. Oops. :eek:

So, when I got a request for a full from another agent last week, I was very, very careful to follow the instructions perfectly.

I used the agency's online submission form and addressed a specific agent, got a response via email that I am assuming came from said agent (there was no signature or greeting and it came from the agency's general email account) stating, basically, "I'd love to see this. Follow the link below."

YAY! I followed the link. Filled out my contact info and uploaded my manuscript using the little button that said something like "Upload your manuscript here." Then I put a one or two line "Thank you" in the comments box.

NOW I discover comments she's made n the past about the importance of a good cover letter. ACK! Where? It's too late to include it with my manuscript. My options are to send it to her private email or post it in the comments section of my online "account".

What's the best course of action here? :Shrug:

PeeDee

Where's my tea, please...?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
I think that sending it to a private e-mail would be odd, I think that trying to piggy-back it after your current submission would be confusing. I say just let your submission stand on its own right now, and hope it does well. It's the most painless of the available options. At least, until someone comes along and suggests one better.

Sooner or later, your manuscript will have to stand on its own in front of the agent anyway. Be optimistic and think of this as saving her the trouble of wading through a cover letter. Smilie face.

aliajohnson

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alissa-johnson.com
Thanks PeeDee. I thought the email route might be weird too. No to adding it to the comments section, though? It's part of my "account" It's titled something like--"Alia's Account for Title of Book" and I'm allowed to add additional stuff--like awards won, questions I have, etc. And the agent can write back. But if you think it's a bad idea, I'll sit on my hands.

PeeDee

Where's my tea, please...?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
aliajohnson said:
Thanks PeeDee. I thought the email route might be weird too. No to adding it to the comments section, though? It's part of my "account" It's titled something like--"Alia's Account for Title of Book" and I'm allowed to add additional stuff--like awards won, questions I have, etc. And the agent can write back. But if you think it's a bad idea, I'll sit on my hands.

Oh, I misunderstood. I thought you'd have to re-send the whole submission with it in the comments. If you just have comments bar that you could quietly pop a cover letter into, then I'd absolutely use that and go for it. Sorry.

aliajohnson

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alissa-johnson.com
PeeDee said:
Oh, I misunderstood. I thought you'd have to re-send the whole submission with it in the comments. If you just have comments bar that you could quietly pop a cover letter into, then I'd absolutely use that and go for it. Sorry.

That's a huge relief. I'm terrible at sitting on my hands. Thanks so much! :D

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Alia, after erring twice, I've found from the AW's here to let it be...hopefully the agent will like your MS enough to not be concerned w/ the tiny picky stuff....
Good luck and am crossing my toes for you! Whoo HOo! hugs kimmi

aliajohnson

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alissa-johnson.com
kimmi 57 said:
Alia, after erring twice, I've found from the AW's here to let it be...hopefully the agent will like your MS enough to not be concerned w/ the tiny picky stuff....
Good luck and am crossing my toes for you! Whoo HOo! hugs kimmi

AHH! Too late, I just added it. Oh, well. If the agent sends me hate mail, we can take it out on PeeDee's knee caps. :hat:

Thanks both you! :Hug2:

Status
Not open for further replies.