PDA

View Full Version : What do you think this means?

writerterri
12-19-2006, 11:03 PM
I submitted How Cow Found Her Moo in July/06 and recieved my receipt within a week that they had recieved it. I forgot to stamp my reciept but they stuffed it into an envelope and stamped it themselves. Unheard of! After 5 months of waiting I send them a letter stating that if they were done considering it would they please send it back to me (exclusive submission) so I can pass it on. I got a letter back from them within days again, from the editor:

Thank you for your patience during our review of your manuscript How Cow... is still under review, as we are behind in our evaluation of submisions. (Yes, she wrote it like that, odd, is that correct?) We will try to get back to you in 3-4 weeks.

Sincerely...

I get excited when I read it, but I quickly lower myself to earth.

Just currious, what do you think it means? Is it still in the slush pile and their waiting to get to it, but then why would I get the reciept within days of sending it?

Ol' Fashioned Girl
12-19-2006, 11:07 PM
My guess would be that they have someone to open, date stamp and or send the receipt before routing the MS to the appropriate pile. As for the rest, heck, I dunno!

Silver King
12-19-2006, 11:09 PM
It means that when they FINALLY get around to reading your story, it'll knock 'em dead, and they won't be able to make out the check fast enough and send it to you.

I usually charge to reveal my premonitions, but this one's on the house.

writerterri
12-19-2006, 11:12 PM
It means that when they FINALLY get around to reading your story, it'll knock 'em dead, and they won't be able to make out the check fast enough and send it to you.

I usually charge to reveal my premonitions, but this one's on the house.

*grinning*

I'll send my over my big missle toe.

Little Red Barn
12-20-2006, 12:13 AM
terri this sounds encouraging! toes crossed for you sweetie!

Meerkat
12-20-2006, 12:17 AM
I pity the lack of curiosity in the individual who could read that title and still set the manuscript aside even for a day. It shall sell!

maestrowork
12-20-2006, 12:25 AM
I think it's a good virtue to be patient now that they have responded; it's probably wise to give them another four weeks. If by that time they still have not made a decision, you can decide then.

priceless1
12-20-2006, 01:41 AM
What an adorable title.

writerterri
12-20-2006, 02:21 AM
I pity the lack of curiosity in the individual who could read that title and still set the manuscript aside even for a day. It shall sell!

I'm floating off earth again...

writerterri
12-20-2006, 02:23 AM
What an adorable title.

Thanks!

Pat~
12-20-2006, 03:29 AM
I think it means you made it to first base; it wasn't rejected outright, and they want to give it more consideration. Congrats!! And good luck--hope they love it.

janetbellinger
12-20-2006, 03:49 AM
Love the title. Good luck, Terri.

aadams73
12-20-2006, 04:27 AM
I remember reading this over and SYW and thinking it was totally adorable. Good things are coming your way Terri! My fingers, toes and eyes are crossed.

stace001
12-22-2006, 01:01 PM
I have my fingers crossed for you also. It is such an adorable story. I can't wait to be able to read it to my young son. :D

writerterri
12-22-2006, 09:03 PM
Thanks, Stace. That made me feel good.

And the rest of the comments too. :D

kwwriter
12-22-2006, 09:19 PM
Not unusual. I had an agent do ( and word the letter ) the exact same way.

JM

wyntermoon
12-24-2006, 03:50 AM
I think it's a great sign! Good luck!!

aliajohnson
12-24-2006, 03:57 AM
I'm in agreement with everyone else on this--that is a great title. And according to Silver King, good things are headed your way. What more can you ask for? :D

Um . . . I have 100% faith in Silver King's fortune telling expertise, but I'll keep my fingers crossed for you just . . . just 'cause.

janetbellinger
12-24-2006, 04:03 AM
I'm on my way over to SYW right now to read it.

writerterri
01-25-2007, 03:21 AM
Okay it's been four weeks. I'm expecting an answer any day now. I sure could use some good news after waiting six month for them to decide.

Kate Thornton
01-25-2007, 03:24 AM
It sounds so promising, and that title is a killer! Best of luck, Terri!

writerterri
01-25-2007, 03:28 AM
Thanks for the warm fuzzy, Kate!

Azure Skye
01-25-2007, 03:30 AM
Okay it's been four weeks. I'm expecting an answer any day now. I sure could use some good news after waiting six month for them to decide.

I don't know anything about this waiting process yet but my mom always used to tell me, "No news is good news."

That's a really cute title by the way. I'm crossing my fingers for you too.

Judg
01-25-2007, 03:38 AM
As Miss Snark says, exclusives stink!

writerterri
01-25-2007, 05:25 AM
I don't know anything about this waiting process yet but my mom always used to tell me, "No news is good news."

That's a really cute title by the way. I'm crossing my fingers for you too.

Thanks! I appreciate it.

writerterri
01-25-2007, 05:25 AM
As Miss Snark says, exclusives stink!

Well, her and I agree on something. :D

Soccer Mom
01-25-2007, 06:12 AM
My little beta child, loved the story. Moo is a winner. I think it means good things.

writerterri
03-24-2007, 12:33 AM
8 months later and How Cow was rejected.

They made me wait 8 months! Dorks.

Kate Thornton
03-24-2007, 12:55 AM
Yes, I waited that long for a rejection from Alfred Hitchcock's Mystery Magazine. It stinks, Terri - but we both gotta mooooove on.

How Cow will find a place out there!

victoriastrauss
03-24-2007, 01:39 AM
As Miss Snark says, exclusives stink!Plenty of other agents don't agree.

- Victoria

Cath
03-24-2007, 03:16 AM
8 months later and How Cow was rejected.

That's a shame, Terri - but keep sending it out. I remember thinking it was really cute when I saw it in Share Your Work. :)

writerterri
03-24-2007, 06:08 AM
Yes, I waited that long for a rejection from Alfred Hitchcock's Mystery Magazine. It stinks, Terri - but we both gotta mooooove on.

How Cow will find a place out there!

Yep, this time I'm sending out lots of them.

writerterri
03-24-2007, 06:11 AM
Plenty of other agents don't agree.

- Victoria

Hi Victoria!

I'm wondering how so. I know how it's terrible for me to wait, but why do some require exclusives and why don't some agents mind that? 8 months is a long time.

Terri

writerterri
03-24-2007, 06:13 AM
That's a shame, Terri - but keep sending it out. I remember thinking it was really cute when I saw it in Share Your Work. :)

I'm glad you liked it. Thanks.

I know someone will pick it up. I just know it. Off to do more research...

Soccer Mom
03-24-2007, 07:18 AM
I've got a story that's been held hostage since last Sept. I really want it in this magazine, so I'm toughing out the wait, but it stinks.

Sorry about How Cow. Moooooooooove that story back out of the barn.

writerterri
03-24-2007, 07:47 AM
I've got a story that's been held hostage since last Sept. I really want it in this magazine, so I'm toughing out the wait, but it stinks.

Sorry about How Cow. Moooooooooove that story back out of the barn.

Yes it does. Thanks, darlin!

Maryn
03-24-2007, 09:09 PM
I don't have anything out at the moment, but I'm planning to adopt a strategy I read about here. (It was ages ago, so I have no idea what thread. Sorry.)

The agent or editor who's my first choice and asks for an exclusive can get it--but I'm imposing a time limit a bit longer than their typical response time. Say it's usually 2 months. My cover letter might say, "Enclosed is my manuscript for MARYN'S BRILLIANCE as requested in your letter of March 21, 2007. I'm pleased to give XYZ Agency exclusive rights until June 30, 2007."

No threats about what might happen after that date, which is one and a half times longer than their stated response time. If they didn't write, email, or pick up the phone by June 30, I would have no qualms about sending it to others starting July 1.

Maryn, who can't wait 8 months for anything, except babies

writerterri
03-25-2007, 07:31 AM
Yea, that's too long when the web site said it would take 3 months. I was willing to give 5.

Oh, well.

victoriastrauss
03-27-2007, 10:14 PM
Hi Victoria!

I'm wondering how so. I know how it's terrible for me to wait, but why do some require exclusives and why don't some agents mind that? 8 months is a long time.No agent should ask for an eight month exclusive! I know that some ask for six, and I think that's unreasonable too. Three months is long enough, IMO. Some agents ask for only a couple of weeks.

The argument for exclusives is, basically, time and money. A good agent won't consider offering representation unless she carefully reads and evaluates your manuscript. It takes time to do this--time that will be completely uncompensated if the agent doesn't make an offer, or if she offers and then fails to sell the book. Under those circumstances, it's understandable that an agent would want an exclusive on the manuscript, so she can be confident that she won't be investing her time only to have someone else snatch the book out from under her.

This is a personal preference. Some agents insist on exclusives (but will often be willing to waive them if you let them know the ms. is being read nonexclusively elsewhere). Some agents don't ask for exclusives. It really depends.

Speaking for myself, I wouldn't grant an exclusive of longer than three months, and I'd never grant an open-ended exclusive. If the agent doesn't state a time limit for the exclusive, you should set one yourself. And I would never grant an exclusive on a partial--which an increasing number of agents seem to be asking for.

- Victoria

Braydie
03-28-2007, 06:05 AM
I don't have anything out at the moment, but I'm planning to adopt a strategy I read about here. (It was ages ago, so I have no idea what thread. Sorry.)

The agent or editor who's my first choice and asks for an exclusive can get it--but I'm imposing a time limit a bit longer than their typical response time. Say it's usually 2 months. My cover letter might say, "Enclosed is my manuscript for MARYN'S BRILLIANCE as requested in your letter of March 21, 2007. I'm pleased to give XYZ Agency exclusive rights until June 30, 2007."

No threats about what might happen after that date, which is one and a half times longer than their stated response time. If they didn't write, email, or pick up the phone by June 30, I would have no qualms about sending it to others starting July 1.

This is a great idea - a very good solution.