Status
Not open for further replies.

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
Does anyone know any Scottish Gaelic? I've done some research on the net and found some conflicting translations so it would be a help to speak to someone who knows what they're talking about it.

sharra

Registered
Reaction score
good luck - most of the gaelic translations on the net appear to be Irish Gaelic.
I usually work from the oxford translation dictionary - I only know 1 or 2 words. Keep in mind, though, translations will vary according to the region of the translator - regional dialect had an impact, like any other ancient or modern language, although the basics should remain the same.

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
Cheers. I'll keep looking. I only need some basic terms but I want to make sure they're right.
I've got a dictionary from my library so that should be a good start.

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know if this will help, check out Diana Gabaldons Outlander series, which I found to be a wealth of info.

Last edited:

Deleted member 42

Tell me what you want to say (please, just short phrases; I'm really trying to finish my dissertation) and let me know where in Scotland, roughly, and the time period.

johnnysannie

Banned
Reaction score
Website
leeannsontheimermurphywriterauthor.blogspot.com

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
Thanks for the help. I'm only after a few terms at the moment (although this may grow). The setting is a different world to ours so I'm not sure if I would need to think about time and region.

I'll see what I can find with those links. Thanks again.

Anne Stevens

Registered
Reaction score
I have a Scottish Gaelic Dictionary I picked up from B&N, so I could probably translate at least words, if not phrases. I can't help too much with the grammar, though.

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
I nabbed a dictionary from a library so that with those links should give me what I need, fingers crossed. :)

Dollywagon

Registered
Reaction score
The Beeb do a gaelic website. I can't remember it exactly, but it's
colinandcumberland ???

Deleted member 42

Keep in mind that Gaelic has sound changes or mutations that depend on the way a word is used grammatically.

The word mo, or the first single possessive pronoun lenites or softens some initial letters of the following noun -- a word beginning with c will begin with ch, for example, following mo.

PastMidnight

Oponionated
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jabrockmole.com
I'm reviving this thread in the hope that someone can help me out with a few sentences in Scots Gaelic. I don't have anything particular to translate, as I'm hoping for something more natural than a direct translation. Just a few sentences that an outraged mother might say when she walks in the door to see her only daughter in a, shall we say, compromising position with a strange man.

I'm also looking for a very mild insult, something equivalent to 'moron' or 'idiot'. Something that a friend might call another in a joking way without hurting any feelings.

The character is from the Inner Hebrides and this takes place in the first half of the 20th century.

Tasmin21

They will come from below...
Registered
Reaction score
I could be wrong, my Scots Gaelic days are long behind me, but I believe "amadan" might be the kind of word you're looking for. Means "fool", loosely, and I think is actually still in use some today, for those few rare people who still speak the language.

Status
Not open for further replies.