PDA

View Full Version : I'm getting tired

Jack_Roberts
12-19-2006, 01:36 AM
So many rejections. The agent who was so excited she wanted the whole manuscript within the week for a weekend read? Three weeks after that expensive weekend read (overnight mail for 450 pages is expensive) and it became a rejection.

Sure, one rejection I recently received had a positive hand written note that she just did not have the time but keep submitting, but guys, it feels like no one wants it.

Iím becoming so down. It feels so right, like it will happen. Right now though, I donít know WHY Iím getting that feeling. Everyone keeps saying ďnoĒ.

Maybe I shouldnít have joined Miss Snarkís Crapometer. Iím so down that when she rips me, Iíll just sink lower.

Sorry for the downer. I just wanted to share my grief.

janetbellinger
12-19-2006, 01:40 AM
I sympathize, Jack. That's why sometimes I think it is better to not submit for awhile, give yourself a chance to recover your ego.
So many rejections. The agent who was so excited she wanted the whole manuscript within the week for a weekend read? Three weeks after that expensive weekend read (overnight mail for 450 pages is expensive) and it became a rejection.

Sure, one rejection I recently received had a positive hand written note that she just did not have the time but keep submitting, but guys, it feels like no one wants it.

Iím becoming so down. It feels so right, like it will happen. Right now though, I donít know WHY Iím getting that feeling. Everyone keeps saying ďnoĒ.

Maybe I shouldnít have joined Miss Snarkís Crapometer. Iím so down that when she rips me, Iíll just sink lower.

Sorry for the downer. I just wanted to share my grief.

Meerkat
12-19-2006, 01:42 AM
Hi Scott,

This happens to everybody at one time or another. My routine is to always have two manuscripts or partials or at least queries out there, so that when the first rejection arrives, I can mentally rely on the second and quickly send out the next attempt to keep two possibilities. But don't give up man! Possibly rework the ms, but never give up!!

johnzakour
12-19-2006, 02:14 AM
Well, maybe you should give up. At least for a while. Take a step back and see if this is what you really want to do. You never know what might happen when you take a break and refresh your mind.

I actually did give up eight years ago. I was tired of all the near misses (I had a couple of ebooks out) but no traditional publisher seemed to want me. So I decided, that was that! I was DONE!! I was going concentrate on finishing my Ph.D. and working on my day job as a web guy. There would be no more writing for me.

Then one day while working as a web guy I got some email from a lady I had never heard of. She said, she had been given one of my ebooks and really liked it. I sent back a polite note saying, “thanks, too bad you aren’t a publisher.” She said, “Oh I am, I own Daw books.”

Right then and there I decided while I’m not going to quit my day job, but I’m also not going to quit my night job.

Since that day I have published ten books and have contracts for five more. My night job has become my day job. (Though my wife has a really steady job – which helps.)

So, take a step back. Take a few breaths. You never know what might happen. Talent always comes through in the end.

Sorry to be so long-winded. Everyday I wake up amazed that I’m actually a writer. (I think my agent is pretty surprised too.)

aadams73
12-19-2006, 03:14 AM
Don't. Wallow. In. It.

Seriously.

Pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and keep on trying! You can do it!

Little Red Barn
12-19-2006, 05:19 AM
Really sorry, you're close if you can feel it. Pick yourself back up and start fresh after the holidays!:Hug2:

glassquill
12-19-2006, 05:25 AM
Don't give up. Since it's the holiday season, just step away from it for a few days. Go have some eggnog. Sure, it's a bit early but I think you're entitled to it. Your hard work will find its home someday.

:Hug2:

Rane
12-19-2006, 05:51 AM
Definitely don't give up. :)

Maybe this site will help:

http://www.scribesworld.com/writersniche/articles/FamousRejections.htm

David McAfee
12-19-2006, 06:13 AM
Yo, Scott. Don't let the rejections win! Maybe take a deep breath, then hit the typewriter again (not literally).

jeffrivera
12-19-2006, 06:34 AM
Sorry for the downer. I just wanted to share my grief. Never ever give up. Every successful writer I've read about Michael Crichton, Alice Walker, John Grisham, etc., etc. has their fair share of rejection stories. Keep on doing it, start writing your National Book Award acceptance speech. They'll be sorry they rejected you when you're successful. Never give up!

Elektra
12-19-2006, 06:40 AM
That's okay. This agent seems a bit rude, anyway--if she wanted it that quickly, she should have been okay with an E-mailed version and not given you the extra expense.

JeanneTGC
12-19-2006, 07:07 AM
Louis L'Amour received over 350 (closer to 400) rejections before he sold one, single piece.

Rejection sucks, and believe me, everyone here knows it. I can totally relate to how you are feeling. All last week I felt the same way. I almost feel the same way today. BUT...the only ones who succeed are those who persevere. Perseverance will win out over everything else. And that includes talent -- there are plenty of talented people who will not persevere and write more and write better, who will never take action and send a piece out because it might get rejected, who will not keep on sending out an MS because they got some rejection. The ones who keep on even when it just hurts to do it are the ones who will achieve success in the long and the short run.

Nothing worthwhile in life comes without work and pain. Hang in there...you are NOT alone.

Jack_Roberts
12-19-2006, 07:16 AM
Thanks guys! Really, it helps. I'm going to splash some water on my face and just dive back in.

Thank you.

Pisarz
12-19-2006, 07:00 PM
Oh, Scott, do hang in there. You're definitely garnering interest and that's a big step in itself. Let yourself sit back and enjoy the holidays--don't let this wear you down. You can approach your work (and agent-hunting) after a holiday break and dive in at the start of the New Year. You can do it!

Maprilynne
12-19-2006, 08:56 PM
Hey Scott, You're not allowed to give up till your rejections are in the triple digits . . . and even then, that's just the one book.
The fact that you are getting positive responses from several agents says that you have a decent idea and and strong writing. (It might mean more than that, but at the very least, that's what it means.) If you were getting nothing but rejections on your work without even getting partial requests, I would send you to SYW to fix your query. But you are having success!!! Really! I doesn't feel like it, but you are.
My suggestion. Take a couple of weeks off. Christmas is a great time for that. Don't query another agent, don't look at your story, try not to even think about it. Then give it a fresh read and see if you can tweak a few things to make it fresher, faster, neater, better.
And have some chocolate.;)

Maprilynne

Jack_Roberts
12-19-2006, 09:58 PM
Heh.

OOPS! I just queried Firebrand. I was looking at Dia's blog and she's looking for something just like Annabelle.

Then suddenly I heard this eerie whisper "Go for it, my scribe! All you can do is try. Submit!"

I can't argue with a 300 yr old vampire child. I'm her Rynfield. So I did!

But I'm going to take a break, write some stuff for the Parodyverse message board I belong to, and take it easy.

Then, after Christmas, I'll turn her lose on the agent world again.

Thanks for the support guys! Even us slaves-to-vampires get lost too.

Toothpaste
12-19-2006, 09:59 PM
I had so many insightful things to say, but as I read this thread I found that they have already been said!

Nonetheless, because I can't not write something anyway: I know exactly what you mean, that sort of tired feeling. Especially as an actor. Every time I haven't got a role, people tell me, "Well at least you can learn something from this." Like I guess how to perservere, to pick yourself up, to not give up. And I go . . . "Yes but, you know, I think I've learned that lesson by now, I'd really like to learn the lesson of what it's like to be in a sensational show with good production values and a fabulous director while playing the role of a lifetime. I think I could stand to learn that lesson."

None the less, just keep going. Because if you are getting this sort of interest, people asking for your full, well, you are getting very very close. It would be a shame to give up now! (not that I think you will)

Ms.Write
12-21-2006, 06:38 AM
I know what you're going through. I "came close" on my third novel - was represented by the Sheil Land agency in London, who tried to sell it as crime fiction. However it was lacking a hard edge and what they really wanted was "the hunt for the serial killer" and not a story told from the potential victims' perspective. The rejections finally crushed me. I didn't write another novel for 10 years. But guess what... I'm back!

I'm not saying you should wait 10 years, but it IS possible to get burned out. I started back to fiction with short stories and now I want the scope of a novel again. If you do feel burned out, a break is all you need. And it helps to have supportive friends... even if they're the email kind!

Let us know how you make out.

Odile
12-21-2006, 06:53 PM
Hi,

You are so much further than I am... I wish I was that far already. :)

Jack_Roberts
12-22-2006, 04:39 AM
Thanks guys. All I can do is keep trying. I'm taking a little break, but I have replaced the rejections with more queries. I'll just keep at it. :)

johnzakour
12-22-2006, 04:56 AM
Being rejected does suck, but it makes us humble and really appreciate the acceptance more.

stormie
12-22-2006, 04:58 AM
Hey, Scott! Looks like you're going to be all right. There is not one single writer who never feels that little urge to stop and give up. That's what we're here for--to give each other that boost we all sometimes need.