Talk Dog

AllyWoof

Becoming a Serious Writer!
Registered
Reaction score
When I was a teenager I wrote a bunch of short stories told from the point of view of my dog Missy. I want to turn them into picture books for children, but I am a total nervious wreck. Please help me.

Dollywagon

Registered
Reaction score
You could try going into the Share Your Work - childrens section and have a browse around in there.

You will find lots of helpful advice and tips and it will give you some idea where to start. There is also a childrens section nearly at the top of the forum boards where you will find a load of stickies to help you get started.

AllyWoof

Registered
Reaction score
Uh! I do not use profanty. The stories have titles such as "Missy Joins The Beatles".

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Just.... write! (Was that helpful?)

AllyWoof

Registered
Reaction score
About as helpful as me telling Mom I want food when she asks what I want for breakfast.

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Ah, but you do it anyway, don't you?

Only you know how your story should read... now go cook your own breakfast!

AllyWoof

Registered
Reaction score
I will when it is breakfast. But, when we had this conversation I didn't know how to cook. Still don't really.

endless

Of course I'm listening....
Registered
Reaction score
Obviously if you were here, my dogs would be forced to trade you in for another person -- one who does know how to cook. You haven't lived until you've baked liver muffins!

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
First, you might want to do a little research into how you should do a picture book (and get one of the books on writing for children). There is something of a standard in laying a picture book out. I'm no expert on this so I can't help you much. There are several members in the Writing for Children forum that have done picture books, including Jenna who used to run AW (her book is Hattie! Get a Haircut!).

Then pick out the dog story you like the best and go through the process of rewriting it, and blocking out the story and pictures (even though a publisher generally hires the illustrator, unless you plan on doing the book as both writer and illustrator); still you can do a rough sketch of how you visualize the book.

AllyWoof

Registered
Reaction score
I don't think I could sketch anything.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
kimmi 57 said:
Click on her highlighted blue.
That would be a 6'-3", NFL linebacker-sized he . . . but that's okay, everyone seems to make that mistake.

AllyWoof

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Alleycat. Can you do one more thing for me, though?

AllyWoof

Registered
Reaction score
Actually, I know you can't. That said, I would love for you to be able to clue me in on why my male friend who supposidly has no romantic interest in me suddenly wants to shower me with gifts? This sounds like the start of a very trashy romance novel.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe he's in the Christmas spirit. Or maybe he's only pretending not to have a romantic interest in you. Or maybe he's a friend and just wants to make you happy. Or maybe . . .

I don't believe it's quite to the trashy romance novel stage yet. You can hope! :)

endless

Registered
Reaction score
Back on the subject of writing about actual dogs, when you write what's on the dog's mind, try and keep it true to the breed/breeds. And do your research on the breed/breeds you want to write, even if they are your own dogs.

There's nothing nicer than learning why your dog/s do what they do!

endless

Registered
Reaction score
So? All dogs, even purebreds, were once mixed breeds. A little bit of this and a little bit of that and -- voila -- you've got a breed, if it breeds true. There are very few breeds that man hasn't twisted throughout the years.

Your dogs have some, or many, breeds in them. It's kind of fun to try and figure their parents out. Just a little note: Few dogs actually have wolf blood in them, even if they look wolfy. Most wolves prefer to eat dogs rather than breed with them.