TIO regulars: WIP 30-day word count

In the last 30 days, how much writing did you do on your WIP?

• zero, zip, nada

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • 500 words in the last 30 days

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • 1000 words

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • 2500 words

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5000 words

• 10,000 words

• 25,000 words

• 50,000 words or more, nanowrimo every mo

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

greglondon

Planet Wookie techno geek
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Rodents Of Unusual Size? I don't think they exist.
Website
www.greglondon.com
Will try to set this up as a non-anonymous poll.
For the TIO regulars, I'm wondering how much writing they've done on their current work(s) in progress for the last thirty days. If you've been published in some form or another, that would be another datum to mention in the thread comments.

TheGaffer

Docking Bay 94
Registered
Reaction score
I went nuts last week and wrote 4800 words in one sitting. Combined with the surge I've had in the last few weeks, I believe I've added more than 10,000 words in the last 30 days. I had set a goal of 250 pgs by the end of the year, and I hit it last week. 17 pages in a day was a ton, though, and I needed a week off. Planning on getting back to it tonite.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
I'm rewriting a screenplay. I've completed 25 pages in the last 2 weeks. I don't know how many words that is. I'll find out and answer soon. My intention is to finish it before the new year, so I can get it to my agent when his office reopens for the new year.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
And if you include my Messageboard Memoirs (a collection of all the posts I've ever made on the internet), that WIP got maybe 1,300,058 words in the last 30 days.

Bravo

Socialitest
Registered
Reaction score
hmmm 25 pages?

and this your second draft too??

hmmm...

Not that good dclary.

The 1st act should go by pretty quickly.

hmph.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
Bravo said:
hmmm 25 pages?

and this your second draft too??

hmmm...

Not that good dclary.

The 1st act should go by pretty quickly.

hmph.

It's something like 20 pages of the 3rd act and 5 of the first, Bravo.

And you're right greg. 1 page per minute is the rule. This outline is a 120-page outline, although the original clocked in at 108. This version I'd like to get to 120 and then edit down to 105 or so.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
And if you're rewriting correctly, the second draft should take longer than the first. Didn't take no time to get it down wrong the first time. Oughta take more time to get it right on the next.

Bravo

Socialitest
Registered
Reaction score
dclary said:
And if you're rewriting correctly, the second draft should take longer than the first. Didn't take no time to get it down wrong the first time. Oughta take more time to get it right on the next.

You rewrite the entire thing?

Yea i dont do that.

:Shrug:

I was just worried cuz i thought you had to get this in soon, and the 1st act is usually the quickest (at least for me).

So if it took you that long there, the 2nd act would be a killer.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
If you write the 1st act correctly, and you know what has to happen in the third act, the second act should write itself.

At least... it better.

:|

Bravo

Socialitest
Registered
Reaction score
Not for me.

The 2nd act takes a helluva long time.

Not because I dont know where it's going, but just because it's nuanced.

But good to hear you're on track.

Last edited:

SC Harrison

Dances With Hamsters
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
I've only been able to squeak out a little over a thousand words of new work, but I've probably done at least 5,000 to 7,000 during rewrites.

Frankly, this time of the year is slow for me, writing-wise. I don't know why. Maybe it's the build-up to the holidays, or trying to fatten up an extremely lean profit margin at work, but I just don't seem to produce as many ideas during this time.

Reaction score

It's holiday season, which starts for me around Labor Day and ends for me around Easter.

And I hate writing during the summer. That's my summer vacation time.

Thank you.

Last edited:

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
I really haven't done much of anything since Halloween. I wrote about 500 words new to my WIP.

That said, I did print out the entire manuscript, three-hole punched it, and put it in one of those clear plastic essay folders, got myself a red pen and I'm going to give it a serious and what I hope is the final read/revision.

Reaction score
Shadow_Ferret said:
That said, I did print out the entire manuscript, three-hole punched it, and put it in one of those clear plastic essay folders, got myself a red pen

All important and needed to be done.

GPatten

Dang...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
forum.m1911.org
I started my new WIP in early November to achieve a finale word count of somewhere around 60 to 75 thousand words. Right now, I have a word count of 55,609 Words.

As usual, I hit two snags right around 30 thousand and at 50 thousand words. It always happens to me, I have come to expect the magical snags at that time in my writing. This time it lasted for only a week, I think. I’m wondering if others find that same magical snag?

I write till I drop, I can’t stop when I’m on a role. I work from a mini outline; 3, or 4 words to an idea and 5, or more ideas and push it along (Down) as I write to eliminate them.

English Dave

Registered
Reaction score
I've had several 'Humor in Uniform'' stories published by Readers Digest. Write what you know is clearly a crock of sh1t.

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
~10,000, but all in different projects.

EnglishDave said:
I've had several 'Humor in Uniform'' stories published by Readers Digest. Write what you know is clearly a crock of sh1t.

I wondered why the quality of Readers Digest had seemed to drop. ;)

Alan Yee

Still Here!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
greglondon said:
Anybody here commercially published their writing?

Me <- not yet.

You fooled me for a while because I used to always see you at Making Light. If I remember right, you went to Clarion, so you're bound to get published eventually.

My current WIP is a weird retold fairytale short. It's the first one that I'm actually going to try submitting because it doesn't completely suck, and it's funny. If things go as planned, I can have it finished, revised, and ready to submit by New Year's. Hopefully Shawna McCarthy at Realms of Fantasy will like it. If not, I'll find some other cool place for it.

In about four months I wrote the first 85k of my first novel, so I don't feel too bad about not writing as much lately.

greglondon

Planet Wookie techno geek
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Rodents Of Unusual Size? I don't think they exist.
Website
www.greglondon.com
I didn't go to clarion. But I did go to VP, twice.

I did have an agent interested in my WIP. I may have been overly paranoid about the contract, though. We couldn't agree on something, so didn't sign.

I've heard several professionals say for your first book get a publisher first anyway, then get an agent. It sounds good. Oh, and I just sent out my first query for my novel, so we'll see how that turns out...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.