Body position

Status
Not open for further replies.

ErylRavenwell

Banned
Reaction score
Is there a name for that position, someone lying flat on his back with one bent knee up? Names like akimbo, spread-eagle I mean. Thx.

Last edited:

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
Askew?

"He lay on his back, one leg bent at the knee and his heel dug in the mattress, never expecting her full weight to break his ankle."

No charge.

ErylRavenwell

Banned
Reaction score
Silver King said:
Askew?

"He lay on his back, one leg bent at the knee and his heel dug in the mattress, never expecting her full weight to break his ankle."

No charge.

Brilliant. Thnx, mate.

ErylRavenwell

Banned
Reaction score
Are sure it's Askew? I googled "askew", but no picture of that position. What about this one (pic below)? Sorry for being a pain, but I need one word (just one, not a whole explanation) for the position.

Lying-Down-View.jpg

Riddler

Disturbingly silly
Registered
Reaction score
The first one might also possibly be considered the "jackknife" position.

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
No single word that I know of, but a nice picture ;)

"She lay forward, her ankles crossed in the air, and laughed."

ErylRavenwell

Banned
Reaction score
For future reference.

1. Akimbo
akimbo.jpg

2. Spread-eagle (what an idiot, lol)

spread_eagle.jpg

3. Lying supine, leg bent at the knee.

KS3407.JPG

4. Lotus position

Richard_Moore_Yoga_Lotus_Position.jpg

5. Lying prone or prostrate, ankles crossed in the air and chin propped on her hand.

Lying-Down-View.jpg

Last edited:

ErylRavenwell

Banned
Reaction score
WildScribe said:
No single word that I know of, but a nice picture ;)

"She lay forward, her ankles crossed in the air, and laughed."

Nice. I'll just go for "lying" though, otherwise I'll end up with too complex a sentence for my taste. It'll disrupt the flow. The way she's lying is quite trivial, but I'm obsessed with the minutiae sometimes. The expression on her face I think is more important as well as her attire (scantily clad, wearing a short short and a halter neck bikini top. Add to that the glass of margarita and skin tan, there is no more space for more). Thanks a lot though.

Last edited:

Doctor Shifty

Press Any Key
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.users.tpg.com.au
Face down is prone or prostrate (make sure you have the 2nd r).
Face up is supine.

Prone and supine are adjectives or adjectival nouns. Imagine a police report - 'He was found in the prone position' or 'he was lying prone in the middle of the kitchen'. However, most usage will be 'lying face down in the middle' etc.

Prostrate is adjectival but can also be a verb, as in 'he prostrated himself in worship'. But you can't 'prone yourself'.

Prone and supine are not common and many readers will not know them. Both words have other meanings - 'he was prone to seeing danger where there was none'. Supine is also a grammatical term.

Last edited:

ErylRavenwell

Banned
Reaction score
Doctor Shifty said:
Face down is prone or prostrate (make sure you have the 2nd r).
Face up is supine.

Prone and supine are adjectives or adjectival nouns. Imagine a police report - 'He was found in the prone position' or 'he was lying prone in the middle of the kitchen'. However, most usage will be 'lying face down in the middle' etc.

Prostrate is adjectival but can also be a verb, as in 'he prostrated himself in worship'. But you can't 'prone yourself'.

Prone and supine are not common and many readers will not know them. Both words have other meanings - 'he was prone to seeing danger where there was none'. Supine is also a grammatical term.

Good to know. Hat's down.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.