Cease-Fire, Civil War, Coup? Who knows...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bravo

Socialitest
Registered
Reaction score
Any commentary?

tourdeforce

Banned
Reaction score
Everyone is watching the SURVIVOR finale.

The show is very popular in the Middle East.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
Bravo said:
Any commentary?

well, as both fatah and hamas call for the violent destruction of israel, i guess i just hope, against rational reality, that each side wipes out the other, so that people who want peace can step over their rotting corpses and usher in a less bloody phase to this mess.

Reaction score
tourdeforce said:
Everyone is watching the SURVIVOR finale.

The show is very popular in the Middle East.

I'm watching Christmas Vacation.

Sunday night, popcorn, Christmas Week Eve, it doesn't get much better, people.

Good luck, Palestine. Your own country awaits you with open arms.

Hope you work out your internal issues and recognize Israel and cut out the nonsense like rocket fire and come back to the bargaining table.

Clark Griswald would want it that way.

May he rest in peace.

Reaction score
William Haskins said:
well, as both fatah and hamas call for the violent destruction of israel, i guess i just hope, against rational reality, that each side wipes out the other

Re: Iran-Iraq War

"Too bad they both can't lose."
Henry Kissinger

:D

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
i'm not sure i'm entirely comfortable with you connecting an obviously cynical statement about murderous militants cancelling each other out and wholesale genocide of the palestinian people.

but i can't say i'm very surprised either, unfortunately.

greglondon

Planet Wookie techno geek
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Rodents Of Unusual Size? I don't think they exist.
Website
www.greglondon.com
William Haskins said:
murderous militants cancelling each other out and wholesale genocide of the palestinian people.

You mean you're against collective punishment against the palestinian people? And the Lebanese? Is all of Lebanon justifiably punished for the actions of Hezbollah? Is all of palestine justifiably punished for the actions of Hamas?

has this been answered for the record?

Reaction score
Bird of Prey said:
But that comes first, because no one is capable of destroying a national spirit, if the people are intent on keeping it alive. And they've demonstrated that they are.

Don't worry.

They'll say "uncle" at some point.

They have no choice if they ever want to have they're own country. No choice. Like I said before, no matter how much you may wish something to be different doesn't matter. Reality is reality. And Israel will wait them out until the end of time if that's what it takes.

Sorry.

Reaction score
Bird of Prey said:
William -

Look, I know you were not calling for wholesale genocide. I understood your statement for what it was. I just don't understand why more people are not avid proponents for compensation. I just don't understand what's wrong with admitting that they were wronged, and trying to right it.

All of that stuff can be worked out at the bargaining table.

Which they'll never get to with a Hamas and "Israel must be destroyed" governments and backers. Never.

So...compensation is nice issue to talk about when they reach the bargaining table.

I look forward to it one day.

Hashing out a deal.

Even though they already had one that Arafat turned down.

But, I look forward to getting back in there to see what we can come up.

Good luck, everyone.

Reaction score
Bird of Prey said:
Billy, why don't you try to address the question. Why are you against giving them compensation for what they have lost? I want to know why. Do you think what happened to them was right? Did they deserve it?

I just did.

Reaction score
Bird of Prey said:
To stop the violence, we work it out now. Because the Palestinians have no reason to believe they would have anything better without keeping violent pressure on Israel. There're no assurances now.

And Israel has no reason to believe the terror attacks would ever stop.

There's no assurances now.

Bird, stop dreaming of what you wish were and join in the reality for the betterment of the Palestinian people, that Israel will never, ever go to the bargaining table until their simple demands of "recognize Israel's right to exist and stop the attacks."

Really friggin simple demands.

"Hey guys, just stop firing rockets and just state that we have a right to exist" and then we can get back to negotiating.

And if they don't, they'll never have a country.

It's up to them.

Sorry.

That's the reality of the situation instead of the "what I wish was."

Reaction score
Bird of Prey said:
No you didn't.

Let me start here, very simple yes or no question:

Did the Palestinian people deserve to have their homes in Israel taken from them?

Did the Israelis deserve to have their land taken from them thousands of years ago?

Did the Indians deserve to have the American continent taken from them?

Did the Africans deserve to be slaves...

On and on and on throughout history...

With that said...Maybe compensate them. Whatever.

Figure it out at the bargaining table.

That's what negotiations are for.

"Israel has to give each family who lost their home $20,000 dollars..."

Whatever they can reasonably afford, write them a check or not.

Where's my check from Russia for my ancestors being driven out of there?

It's ridiculous.

But as far as I'm concerned, I'm willing to talk and consider anything once we're back at the table.

Thank you.

Reaction score
Bird of Prey said:
I knew you wouldn't answer the question.

What an obnoxious statement.

Sadly, I don't type like the Flash and it takes me a minute to get around to each successive post.

greglondon

VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.greglondon.com
Billy favors collective punishment of all palestinians for the actions of a few.
Millions of palestinians and millions of israelis living in that postage stamp chunk of land, but in 2005, the number of people killed by the never ending war was:

3,225 Palestinians killed by Israelis (3,135 by military in the territories, 54 by military inside Israel, 34 by settlers in the territories)
950 Israelis killed by Palestinians (431 inside Israel, 218 settlers, 218 soldiers on duty)

And this is grounds for millions of Israelis to collectively punish millions of palestinians.

Does anyone know how stupid this is? It's would be about as stupid as if the Crips and the Bloods were having a gang war, and every single person of the 4 million people in LA had to pick a side to support and start fighting.

alices

Banned
Reaction score
greglondon said:
Billy favors collective punishment of all palestinians for the actions of a few.
Millions of palestinians and millions of israelis living in that postage stamp chunk of land, but in 2005, the number of people killed by the never ending war was:

3,225 Palestinians killed by Israelis (3,135 by military in the territories, 54 by military inside Israel, 34 by settlers in the territories)
950 Israelis killed by Palestinians (431 inside Israel, 218 settlers, 218 soldiers on duty)

And this is grounds for millions of Israelis to collectively punish millions of palestinians.

Does anyone know how stupid this is? It's would be about as stupid as if the Crips and the Bloods were having a gang war, and every single person of the 4 million people in LA had to pick a side to support and start fighting.
Just a few questions, is this a pure statistical thing for you?

Would you still be as vocal had the number were reversed?

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
Your courage vow should include

"I vow to find valid solutions, not just spend all my time criticizing the solutions suggested by others I don't agree with, or who are stupid."

Reaction score
greglondon said:

What does that mean? "Allllll" and "punishment."

Please tell me what you think I favor.

Thank you.

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
alices said:
Just a few questions, is this a pure statistical thing for you?

Would you still be as vocal had the number were reversed?
No - it doesn't matter that Israel has shown incredible patience and restraint in the face of constant terror tactics, and a willingness to negotiate that the people of Palestine cannot claim (as evidenced by their voting patterns).

TheGaffer

Docking Bay 94
Registered
Reaction score
No - it doesn't matter that Israel has shown incredible patience and restraint in the face of constant terror tactics, and a willingness to negotiate that the people of Palestine cannot claim (as evidenced by their voting patterns).

Matt, that's bin Laden talking.

greglondon

VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.greglondon.com
MattW said:
a willingness to negotiate that the people of Palestine cannot claim (as evidenced by their voting patterns).

Ya know, it's funny you mention that. I checked the Geneva Conventions: they don't make exceptions for voting civilians and make them legitimate targets. So, I guess your comment is a red herring.

greglondon

VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.greglondon.com
dclary said:
Your courage vow should include "I vow to find valid solutions,

Stop collective punishment. It's valid to criticize collective punishment as long as people kid themselves that collective punishment is a "valid solution". It ain't. It needs to stop.

And I've made some suggestions for valid solutions. The problem is they don't involving bombing people, so the hawks don't consider them "valid". I don't need to repeat every valid solution I've mentioned in every post. At the moment, I'm not supposed to repeat myself anyway.

Lastly, your entire post really boils down to an almost equal parallel to the neocons who say to the world "Well, now that I've gotten us into this mess, what the hell are you going to do to fix it?"

alices

Banned
Reaction score
greglondon said:
Stop collective punishment. It's valid to criticize collective punishment as long as people kid themselves that collective punishment is a "valid solution". It ain't. It needs to stop.

I don't need to repeat every valid solution I've mentioned in every post. At the moment, I'm not supposed to repeat myself anyway.
You are improving. You only repeated “collective punishment” six times in this thread vs. repeating it 12 times in another thread. That’s a full 50% reduction!

Status
Not open for further replies.