An interview with an editor at Warner Books

jeffrivera

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.JeffRivera.com
Hey guys I just finished interviewing an editor at Warner Books, just thought it might help anyone who wants to hear from an editor's voice about what they look for, what they don't, how to approach them, etc.

Here it is, hope it helps: http://www.JeffRivera.com/ANDIEAVILA.wav

It's like a 30 minute interview so if you have problems listening to it just let me know.

:) Jeff

janetbellinger

Registered
Reaction score
Jeff, I'm curious about the process in which your novel was transformed from a self-published one to one published by Warner Books. Did you approach Warner or did they come to you or was it your literary agent who landed the deal? Did you rewrite the self pubbed version or did you submit it basically as it was? I am asking because I was under the impression it was difficult to get previously published books republished. I'd be very interested in hearing about the process, if you care to share. Thanks

jeffrivera

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.JeffRivera.com
thanks Janet, let's see. Well, I self-published it first and sold it on my own, then I got an agent who sucked and dumped them. I shouldn't say that, they're nice people they just weren't the right match.

Then I called, what would be come my editor and she said to send it over as-is. I sent it to Warner and it sat on their desk forever. Then I got a really great agent who was more of a match. She made a phone call, my editor read it over the weekend and had an over within 7 days. I'm glad we signed with her, she's awesome and a real sweetheart.

I don't think it's any harder to get republished as it is to get published. The thing about getting republished is that it's all about numbers. They want to know that they can sell more books. So you have to prove it to them.

janetbellinger

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Jeff. And your book sold something like 8,000 copies as a self-pubb. So Warner Books would know it had an audience already.

johnzakour

Dangerous with a Keyboard
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.johnzakour.com
jeffrivera said:
Then I called, what would be come my editor and she said to send it over as-is. I sent it to Warner and it sat on their desk forever. Then I got a really great agent who was more of a match. She made a phone call, my editor read it over the weekend and had an over within 7 days. I'm glad we signed with her, she's awesome and a real sweetheart.

Wow, I don't think I've ever heard an agent referred to as a "real sweetheart" before...

Now is this a good or bad trait for any agent? ;-)

I’m not so sure I want my agent to be sweet. (I don’t think he wants to be either.)

jeffrivera

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.JeffRivera.com
johnzakour said:
Wow, I don't think I've ever heard an agent referred to as a "real sweetheart" before...Now is this a good or bad trait for any agent? ;-) I’m not so sure I want my agent to be sweet. (I don’t think he wants to be either.)

Well, let's just say she's a real sweetheart to her clients but tough when she needs to be (especially in negotiations).

Lauri B

I Heart Mac
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
Jeff, thanks for the interview link.

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
janetbellinger said:
Thanks, Jeff. And your book sold something like 8,000 copies as a self-pubb. So Warner Books would know it had an audience already.

And, judging from Jeff's activities here, I think I know how he sold those 8000 copies!!! He's the born self-promoter. I could do with a bit of that energy myself...

jeffrivera

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.JeffRivera.com
thanks Aruna, I think that's the first nice thing you've said to me. Maybe we've got the beginning of a beautiful friendship .... Hahahaha

janetbellinger

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, and more importantly, there is market waiting for his book.
aruna said:
And, judging from Jeff's activities here, I think I know how he sold those 8000 copies!!! He's the born self-promoter. I could do with a bit of that energy myself...

eldragon

in a van down by the river
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lifeat42.blogspot.com
Jeff,

How do you sell 8000 copies of your book and during what time frame?

Where did you sell them?

Just curious as to how your book was so successful by self-publish standards.

jeffrivera

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.JeffRivera.com
In a nutshell I sold them in person (around hotel swimming pools), online through my website, mail order, sending copies to the fan mailing list of people who had signed up with a pre-stamped envelope, but mostly it was just word of mouth. Any type of success from the book has nothing to do with me. It has to do with the readers. That's who I have to thank.

Also when promoting don't be afraid of controversy, for example in another thread on this forum there are people going on and on about how "arrogant" I am, etc. Doesn't bother me. I kind of smile because what they may not realize is that without realizing it they're giving attention to my book, and the traffic to my website has sky-rocketed, sales have increased and now they're really going to be pissed off at me. Hahaha.

So don't be afraid to try things out of the box. What is that they say, "As long as they spell your name right."

endless rewrite

Registered
Reaction score
I looked at your website out of morbid curiosity, the same impulse that makes me look at the PAMB and made me click on the image of Britney with no pants on. All of which leave me feeling bewildered and slightly sordid. None of which compelled me to open my wallet.

As one could (hopefully) imagine mamma Spears advising her daughter:

Why not put your pants back on and make a brand new entrance with your legs closed? Quite frankly, you aren't impressing anybody with your vulgar posturing.

Taking a leaf out of Nomad's book and have edited to create a more civil response. Well as civil as I can bring myself to be while mentioning Britney and pants or lack of. I still find crass showing off vulgar but then so is calling somebody names.

Jeff, you will gain much by not treating/seeing the members here as potential customers or ignorant wannabes but rather as your peers who you can benefit from too. If you do decide to try a new, less 'in your face', secure pants approach, I am sure you will greatly enjoy your time here and others will be able to enjoy what you have to offer. Keep up the gloating and boasting and all you will do is alienate people and isolate yourself.

Last edited:

Lauri B

I Heart Mac
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Yikes! I sign out for awhile and everyone goes nuts. Let's all be civil, please, at least in my forum.
Jeff, I think the issue a lot of people have with some of the posts I've read is that we all like to think of ourselves as colleagues, with skills and experience that we share with mutual respect. You may or may not be aware that many of your posts sound quite patronizing. Many posters are multi-published authors, professional editors, veteran freelancers, and very experienced writers. We love a good discussion and appreciate solid advice from one another. But when a new poster comes on as strong as you have, with what appears to be an agenda only to promote your own success, it tends to rankle people. This is a terrific community, and we welcome newcomers of all kinds. Please be as open to suggestions and advice as most people have been to hearing about your success. I think we will all benefit.

Last edited:

jeffrivera

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.JeffRivera.com
... and once again you're bringing attention to the book. If you're disturbed by my so-called arrogance or anything else, let it go and don't talk about it Endless.

As far as Nomad, I appreciate your advice. Despite the impression some people have gathered on me, when you search under my user name, I've participated in many other people's threads, read, learned, commented and am open to learning more.

I hope one day to have the pleasure of meeting some of the people in this forum face to face and they'll probably be taken back because I'm not at all like some people have imagined to be. They'll probably think, "hey you're a nice guy I thought you were going to be some arrogant *hole."

I'm always open to learning, once again I see everyone in this forum as my peer whether they just started writing or have been published 30 times. I'm no better, no worse, I don't think of myself as any higher than anyone, not for a moment, never have. I have a lot to learn from every single one of them. And I'm the first one to admit that. I've said that from day one.

Anything else that's been assumed about me, whether it's matched someone else's pre-conceived idea about me or not, is completely imagined.

Last edited:

endless rewrite

Registered
Reaction score
The above quote which you have attributed to me was not made by me, please amend it. I am not disturbed by you just irritated but I do like to be proved wrong.

Thanks for taking out the 'quote'. You also may want to consider why so many people have noticed/imagined your so called non-existent arrogance. We had no pre-conceived notions about you to match with assumptions, how could we, nobody had a clue who you were before you started posting. Any notion about you has been created by the tone and content of your many posts. Don't you think it is strange that so many people have managed to get completely the wrong idea about you based on your own words?

Last edited:

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
jeffrivera said:
Anything else that's been assumed about me, whether it's matched someone else's pre-conceived idea about me or not, is completely imagined.
/quote]
No one has preconceived notions about any new member. Impressions are developed through reading the tone of each post and the information provided by the poster.

Though you do seem to be mellowing, buddy.

Elektra

Don't Call Me Sweetheart
Registered
Reaction score
endless rewrite said:
As one could (hopefully) imagine mamma Spears advising her daughter:

Why not put your pants back on and make a brand new entrance with your legs closed? Quite frankly, you aren't impressing anybody with your vulgar posturing.

I agree--I would much rather sell a few less books and be thought of as a decent person, than earn a few extra bucks by making a jerk of myself.

I wonder what will happen if the book doesn't do as well as he hopes? I consider it no coincidence that Warner has his release slated for the same month in which the last Harry Potter book is rumored to be coming out.

Last edited:

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Actually, it is a common misconception that the release of a Harry Potter book means the overshadowing of other books released at the same time. Anyone who is going to buy an HP book will do so, it really won't garner much of a new audience. What it will do is bring many more people than usual into those big box book stores for HP related parties etc. These people will no doubt peruse the shevles while in there, and may quite likely purchase something they might not have ordinarily.

I also don't know if the book will come out that month, as that is when the film is scheduled for release.

Elektra

Don't Call Me Sweetheart
Registered
Reaction score
Toothpaste said:
Actually, it is a common misconception that the release of a Harry Potter book means the overshadowing of other books released at the same time.

Really? I always just assumed that, since most casual readers are spending their book-buying budget/time on the HP book, other books would kind of get the shaft for a while, no matter how good they might be.

The July thing is only a rumor, but it seems credible, as even the Big Box bookstores are printing up posters for a July release.

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
Nice thing about books is that they're often impulse purchases. Don't know about you, but I'll often walk in expecting to buy one book, and walk out with three. That's why anything that drives bodies into bookstores is great for all of us-- plus, it gets/keeps people in the habit of reading. When they're done with Harry Potter, if the kids enjoyed it, they'll look for something else to read.

Which is why authors aren't really in competition with one another, with a few exceptions (nonfiction on the same narrow subject, for example... not many people are going to want to buy TWO books about how to grow a windowbox garden. But in wider subjects, even that's not a problem... people often buy several books about planning a wedding, writing a novel, etc.).

Elektra

Don't Call Me Sweetheart
Registered
Reaction score
JennaGlatzer said:
Don't know about you, but I'll often walk in expecting to buy one book, and walk out with three.

Very true--this especially happens when I'm buying online, and I think "Well, if I just get two more books, the shipping is free!"