poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061214/ap_on_re_eu/belgium_independence_hoax

BRUSSELS, Belgium - Suddenly and shockingly, Belgium came to an end. State television broke into regular programming late Wednesday with an urgent bulletin: The Dutch-speaking half of the country had declared independence and the king and queen had fled. Grainy pictures from the military airport showed dark silhouettes of a royal entourage boarding a plane.

Only after a half hour did the station flash the message: "This is fiction."

It was too late. Many Belgians had already fallen for the hoax.

Frantic viewers flooded the call center of the RTBF broadcaster that aired the stunt. Embassies called Belgian authorities to find out what was going on, while foreign journalists scrambled to get confirmation.

(snip)

RTBF defended the program, saying it showed the importance of debate on the future of Belgium. But the network won few friends.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
HOLY CRAP!!!

WOW!

That's very... I don't even know the word for it. Just... WOW. I love that they did something so extraordinary. This gives me great faith in our human endeavor.

My two schipperkes, being of belgian descent, have vowed to support whichever nation acquires their nation-of-origin's chocolate factories.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
i thought it was interesting, too... but it's also somewhat creepy, being on state-run media and all.

sounds like they're taking the temperature of the populace.

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
It's all history folks. There are two languages most often spoken in Belgium: Dutch and Flemish. Learn more of the culture, it's interesting, and then it will all make much more sense.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
Well, when all the ethnic problems between Dutchania and Flemland is settled, maybe they can come up with a country name that better matches their peoples' descriptions.

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
dclary said:
Well, when all the ethnic problems between Dutchania and Flemland is settled, maybe they can come up with a country name that better matches their peoples' descriptions.
I understand that TexArkana was taken so maybe they'll go by their historical name before Charlemagne "Bellman's Dutch Treat".

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
SpookyWriter said:
It's all history folks. There are two languages most often spoken in Belgium: Dutch and Flemish.

You forget about le français, n'est-ce pas? Remember Hercule Poirot, who was constantly being irritated at accusations that he was French.

caw

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
blacbird said:
You forget about le français, n'est-ce pas? Remember Hercule Poirot, who was constantly being irritated at accusations that he was French.

caw
Isn't Hercule Poirot a fictional character?

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
SpookyWriter said:
Isn't Hercule Poirot a fictional character?

Yes, but the irritation he expresses is based on a fact: Much of Belgium is French-speaking. Their postage stamps are bilingual, Belgique-Belgie, French-Dutch, c'est vrai, mon ami.

caw

tourdeforce

Banned
Reaction score
Is this expected to interrupt the current rate of export of Belgian waffles?

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Mr. Juncker sums it up for me.

"Even the Jean-Claude Juncker, the prime minister from neighboring Luxembourg, was angry and let it be know at the opening of the European Union summit. "This is not the kind of issue you play around with," he said."

I'm glad it didn't precipitate riots in the streets. My initial thought was perhaps the Belgians are a more polite society; my second thought was the hoax was revealed within a 1/2 hour and that was the limiting factor.

Imagine the chaos that could have ensued had they not revealed the hoax. And to think this stunt came from grownups...tsk.

Status
Not open for further replies.