poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20061214/india_nm/india280322

NEW DELHI (Reuters) - Ten million girls have been killed by their parents in India in the past 20 years, either before they were born or immediately after, a government minister said on Thursday, describing it as a "national crisis".

(snip)

In some states, the minister said, newborn girls have been killed by pouring sand or tobacco juice into their nostrils.

"The minute the child is born and she opens her mouth to cry, they put sand into her mouth and her nostrils so she chokes and dies," Chowdhury said, referring to cases in the western desert state of Rajasthan.

"They bury infants into pots alive and bury the pots. They put tobacco into her mouth. They hang them upside down like a bunch of flowers to dry," she said.

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
I'm going with BoP on this one. But don't exclude China...

Life sucks, again I have to remind people that our world isn't the idealistic place people make it out to be...and so, what's the resolution?

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
actually, it was BoP's post about china that jogged my memory of having read this story.

fact is, between china and india, at some point, we're going to have the two most populous nations (and both nuclear powers) with a generation of aggressive, frustrated young men with not enough women to go around.

the mass psychology of such a situation is troubling, for sure.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
You know, I see these things. I know it happens. Many things in the news leave me feeling helpless, even when I have a vote in the process. But what in the hell can we (meaning anyone who reads these facts) do? It's the most gutting, horrifying thing and the best I can do is cluck my tongue and say how awful it is.

Misery.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
The practice of killing the girl child is more prevalent among the educated, including in upmarket districts of New Delhi, making it more challenging for the government, the minister said.

"How do we tell educated people that you must not do it? And these are people who would visit all the female deities and pray for strength but don't hesitate to kill a girl child," she said.

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
William Haskins said:
actually, it was BoP's post about china that jogged my memory of having read this story.

fact is, between china and India, at some point, we're going to have the two most populous nations (and both nuclear powers) with a generation of aggressive, frustrated young men with not enough women to go around.

the mass psychology of such a situation is troubling, for sure.
I agree. I've indirectly studied this issue for quite some time because of outsourcing and such. Whereas, Eastern Europe has the opposite problem, the East Indies and Pacific East are about to boil over with more males than available females. I was in correspondence with a few women in China about this a few years ago. I found it odd that a woman from China or India would rather migrate to the west than pick between the most eligible males in their country.

Believe me, there is more to this than meets the eye.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
This would explain why there are so many punjabs and sagars answering the phone at Dell, and not so many anjali and miris.

Reaction score
Girls are seen as liabilities by many Indians, especially because of the banned but rampant practice of dowry, where the bride's parents pay cash and goods to the groom's family.

It's truly mind boggling how much of the world is living in the god damn middle ages.

But, let's stay out of it.

It's none of our business that 10 million baby girls have been killed.

Lord almighty.

It's their culture though.

The dowry system that leads to gender genocide.

Who are we to tell them that their stupid f'ing handed down for centuries practices should be abolished.

AHHHHHH!!!!

Whole night ruined!!!!

Last edited:

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
Hey Billy, don't fret because when it becomes a national security issue I'm sure our government will do the right thing. Yes?

Bravo

Socialitest
Registered
Reaction score
billythrilly7th said:
It's truly mind boggling how much of the world is living in the god damn middle ages.

But, let's stay out of it.

It's none of our business that 10 million baby girls have been killed.

Lord almighty.

It's their culture though.

The dowry system that leads to gender genocide.

Who are we to tell them that their stupid f'ing handed down for centuries practices should be abolished.

AHHHHHH!!!!

Because fixing other nations doesn't work?

:Shrug:

Whole night ruined!!!!

Mine too.

:(

SC Harrison

Dances With Hamsters
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
Perks said:
You know, I see these things. I know it happens. Many things in the news leave me feeling helpless, even when I have a vote in the process. But what in the hell can we (meaning anyone who reads these facts) do? It's the most gutting, horrifying thing and the best I can do is cluck my tongue and say how awful it is.

Misery.

A major contributing factor to this is the Dowry system, which can bankrupt a family and still end with the married daughter being mutilated or killed, so her husband can be free to marry someone else's daughter and take her family's possessions.

It was outlawed back in the Sixties, but the custom (or abuse of) just won't die. Ergo, girl babies are considered an extreme liability, even for a relatively wealthy family.

I know. It's crazy.

Reaction score
Bravo said:
Because fixing other nations doesn't work?

:Shrug:

Mine too.

:(

A. :Shrug: There must be something that can be done. Sanctions. George Clooney. Something.

B. :( This is the first I've heard of this, but it has leaped to very near the top, if not the top, of my "disgusted with humanity, please god make me Thrilly Almighty for 48 hours" list.

SC Harrison

Dances With Hamsters
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
billythrilly7th said:

I believe the extreme abuse of the system began shortly after the onset of British colonialism...

Reaction score
SC Harrison said:
I believe the extreme abuse of the system began shortly after the onset of British colonialism...

Friggin English Dave.

I knew somehow this mess was his fault.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
Prabhuji mein tori binti karoon
Paiyan Paroon bar bar
Agle Janam Mohe Bitiya Na Dije
Narak Dije Chahe Dar...

Oh, God, I beg of you,
I touch your feet time and again,
Next birth don't give me a daughter,
Give me Hell instead...

-- Folk Song From Uttar Pradesh​

Reaction score
Dear God or Random Luck or something I can't understand,

Once again, thank you, thank you, thank you for letting me be born in the United States of America.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays.

Your boy,
Billy

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
billythrilly7th said:
Dear God or Random Luck or something I can't understand,

Once again, thank you, thank you, thank you for letting me be born in the United States of America.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays.

Your boy,
Billy

Amen.

Reaction score
They won't kill cows, but baby girls, go for it.

It's a weird line some people draw.

I'm done with this thread for tonight.

Well done, Haskins.

You couldn't save this for Monday,....

(First time ever....)

Hump?

Reaction score
I actually take that back.

The sooner this is brought to my attention the better.

Thank you, WH.

Goodnight, AW.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
Don't mistake your rage, Billy. Let's aim the hump-calling where it belongs.

NATION OF INDIA: HUMPS.

Status
Not open for further replies.