PDA

View Full Version : 2008 Ins and Outs and Shake-It-All-Abouts

William Haskins
12-16-2006, 10:12 PM
evan bayh's out.

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20061216/D8M1VRL80.html

john edwards is allegedly about to announce.

William Haskins
12-16-2006, 10:24 PM
a mid-western centrist, even with close ties to the DLC, really doesn't have much of a chance of raising enough cash.

William Haskins
12-16-2006, 10:30 PM
eh. the others will scramble to the center when the time comes.

robeiae
12-16-2006, 10:34 PM
Warner was a stone-cold lock. I'm still not sure he won't run.

I really wanted an all Va. matchup--Warner vs. Allen. But Allen's bumbling pissed that away. It made me very angry. Then it made me sad. Now, I'm a little angry, again.

(I feel like a chick)

William Haskins
12-16-2006, 10:38 PM
you're so vulnerable today, rob.

warner un-announced so early that, i agree with you, it might not be out of the question that he's playing wait-and-see or hoping for a movement to draft him.

tourdeforce
12-16-2006, 10:50 PM
Did Larouche announce yet?

William Haskins
12-16-2006, 10:52 PM
i thought he was always a given.

billythrilly7th
12-17-2006, 12:28 AM
evan bayh's out.

My favorite democrat.

Damn.

Hmmmmf.

dclary
12-17-2006, 01:07 AM
Dennis Kucinich has already announced. That's smart. He wants to be able to be knocked out of the race early.

blacbird
12-17-2006, 11:29 AM
That so many potential candidates with at least some attractive qualities are saying No, thanks, isn't a good sign. It's a recognition that the next has become so fouled they'll be happy to wait another cycle for somebody else to mop it up.

caw

robeiae
12-17-2006, 05:40 PM
That so many potential candidates with at least some attractive qualities are saying No, thanks, isn't a good sign. It's a recognition that the next has become so fouled they'll be happy to wait another cycle for somebody else to mop it up.Nah. It's because of the lows the Clintons will stoop to. And the spectre of Gore.

billythrilly7th
12-18-2006, 12:54 AM
the spectre of Gore.

Mind if I use that as a title for my new ghost, slasher screenplay?

"The Spectre of Gore."

I love it.

Bravo
12-18-2006, 04:54 AM
Dennis Kucinich has already announced. That's smart. He wants to be able to be knocked out of the race early.

He'd get my vote!

badducky
12-29-2006, 12:49 AM
something about barrack obama doesn't sit well with me. it's like he's perfect because of things outside of his actions. he's perfect because he's multicultural. he's perfect because he doesn't have a huge voting history. he's perfect because he's so darn goofy when he smiles.

he shouldn't be perfect because of the color of his skin, but because of the content of his heart.

hillary clinton tried -- ten years ago -- to DO SOMETHING about the looming healthcare crisis in this country. so she's an ambitious new yorker, and wants the office. so what? i'm more comfortable putting someone in that big chair that knows what it's like and wants to do the job bad. between her and her husband, she'll step in with lots of relationships with the diplomatic corps. not a bad thing, at all.

Gore, too, is a great candidate with lots of promise, talent, prestige, and good experience doing good things. also, he's an author. not a ghost-written author of a autobiographical marketing ploy, but an author of a farseeing science warning bell.

but, the real question to many of us is who will win the peace in Iraq? regardless of the voting history through the quagmire of bad and worse intel from the current administration, who can cut through that crap and make some good changes?

the answer: greglondon. Greg London, I hope to see you run for democratic presidential nomination.

I propose a ticket of Greg London for President, and Susan Sarandon for VP.

Also, on the republican side, isn't Angelina Jolie almost old enough to run? She'd make it cool to be a republican again.

TheGaffer
12-29-2006, 08:48 AM
The early obsession with this one really baffles me. Yes, there's no incumbent of any kind, but it's not even January. The new guys haven't even taken office yet. Just lets you know this one will be even more of a "horse race" in media coverage than the last one. Who said what to who? Who is mean this week? Who had a Mexican nanny? But right now it seems like, indeed, whomever it is will be really in charge of cleaning up the vast messes of the current administration, so maybe Blacbird is right, they're all getting out of the way because it's a thankless job. We could ask Gerald Ford.

eldragon
12-29-2006, 06:24 PM
Angelina Jolie is a Republican?

That doesn't sound right.

I know Britney Spears is. And, yes, that sounds right.

oswann
01-05-2007, 11:45 AM

Isn't this the truth. Everyone is banging heads in the middle in France to prove how centrist they are.

Os.

blacbird
01-05-2007, 01:58 PM
Democrats take control of US Congress

Democrats took control of the US Congress for the first time in 12 years, promising ambitious reform and tough new oversight of Republican President George W. Bush's policy in Iraq.

Some of the thunder from the Democrats' triumphant opening of the 110th Congress, however, was stolen by a series of news leaks about sweeping personnel changes to Bush's foreign policy, intelligence and military teams. . . .

Linked to the upcoming Iraq policy announcement was a barrage Thursday of Bush team changes, according to US officials and media.

Bush was to announce Friday he was nominating US spy chief John Negroponte to be Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice's deputy, and retired vice admiral Michael McConnell to replace Negroponte.

The current US ambassador to Iraq, Zalmay Khalilzad, would be named top US diplomat to the United Nations.

On the military front, nominations for a new commander in Iraq and new leaders for the US Central Command were planned. . . . .

Meanwhile, Democrats appeared ready to use their newfound clout on an ambitious domestic agenda, with legislation planned in the first 100 hours to expand stem cell research, end subsidies for big oil companies and raise the minimum wage, among other issues.http://sg.news.yahoo.com/070104/1/45rsr.html

Well, 'bout says it all. Let's see if the Dems can control the lunacy as the Reps tout throwing more bodies at Iraq.

Rumsfeld is history, the top two generals in charge of Iraq are on their way out the door, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs is almost certainly soon to follow, and Bush wants accolades for doing these things, all moves his critics have been urging for the past couple of years or more. Oh, and, yeah, Dubya now claims the right to open anyone's mail anytime he wants.

caw

blacbird
01-05-2007, 02:00 PM

Just what is this thing you call "center"? Is it somewhere like "the course" we were supposed to "stay" for so long?

caw

Unique
01-05-2007, 06:40 PM
What if we kept everybody else and just got rid of him? Would it help?

That would work. But they never let us use the best option.

MattW
01-11-2007, 03:56 PM
Sen Chris Dodd (D - Conn) announces bid for presidency.

TheGaffer
01-11-2007, 06:04 PM
Good, the "boring" faction now has someone to root for.

William Haskins
01-17-2007, 07:05 AM
dem update: gore is out.

repub update: tancredo is in.

William Haskins
01-17-2007, 07:06 AM
Obama's going for it: http://sg.news.yahoo.com/070116/1/460c5.html

Does he have any foreign policy experience at all?

No?

Good.

have they started printing their "symbolism over substance 2008" campaign posters yet?

Shwebb
01-17-2007, 07:07 AM
Maybe Dennis Kucinich thought he was signing up for candidacy for president of Match.com. With Dr. Phil as his running mate.

robeiae
01-17-2007, 07:25 AM
have they started printing their "symbolism over substance 2008" campaign posters yet?Actually, his platform is similar to GW Bush's 2000 platform...

TheGaffer
01-17-2007, 07:41 AM
dem update: gore is out.

The former is expected. The latter is unimportant.

Actually, his platform is similar to GW Bush's 2000 platform...
Except this guy is intelligent.

robeiae
01-17-2007, 07:49 AM
Except this guy is intelligent.I'll take your word for it.

Of course, so was Carter...:D

billythrilly7th
01-17-2007, 07:53 AM
http://i.gleeson.us/gb/0608/castro_vivo/carter-castro.jpg

ColoradoGuy
01-17-2007, 07:54 AM
That is truly scary. Known throughout Colorado as a loon.

robeiae
01-17-2007, 07:55 AM
Is the "C" for Carter, Castro, Cuba, or Cincinnati?

billythrilly7th
01-17-2007, 08:00 AM
Is the "C" for Carter, Castro, Cuba, or Cincinnati?

:Shrug:

But that's some pic.

William Haskins
01-17-2007, 08:02 AM
That is truly scary. Known throughout Colorado as a loon.

hey, just passing it along; didn't say i support the guy.

billythrilly7th
01-17-2007, 08:08 AM
I love Tancredo even though he stole MY mecca M.A.D plan.

blacbird
01-17-2007, 08:20 AM
Off his "plan" to deal with the illegals problem, which is all I know about him, my impression of Tancredo is that he's a complete moron. His "plan" is utterly without connection to reality, unenforceable and undoable. Bush has a better idea on this one than he does, and for me, that's saying something important.

caw

billythrilly7th
01-17-2007, 08:26 AM
I don't know what his plan is, but if it sucks, I submit "no one is perfect."

Thank you.

ColoradoGuy
01-17-2007, 09:07 AM
I submit "no one is perfect."
And some less so than others -- Tancredo is such a one.

blacbird
01-17-2007, 09:14 AM
Tancredo's "plan" to deal with the illegals problem on our southern border makes Nancy Reagan's "Just say no" plan to deal with illegal drugs look like Stephen Hawking's understanding of the universe.

caw

billythrilly7th
01-17-2007, 09:30 AM
You should have said.... "like Wolfgang Puck's understanding of celebrity party catering."

No one understands much about the universe.

TY

blacbird
01-17-2007, 09:59 AM
No one understands much about the universe.

Spoken like one who knows from personal experience. I appreciate your candor, Thrillsy.

caw

SC Harrison
01-18-2007, 01:02 AM
This could turn this whole thing upside down:

http://www.theonion.com/content/news/area_familys_trip_to_new_hampshire

Area Family's Trip To New Hampshire Sparks Rumors Of Presidential Bid

MANCHESTER, NH—Rumors are swirling among Beltway insiders that the Patterson family vacation last weekend to New Hampshire, site of the first presidential primary, was, in fact, an attempt by the Michigan family of four to test the waters for a 2008 presidential run.

The Pattersons reportedly spent most of their three-day stay in the Granite State—known for its ability to make or break a candidate—interacting with locals, visiting key landmarks, and, according to political observers, using the outing to showcase their message of strong family values. They were seen taking a guided tour of a maple-sugar house in Barrington as well as stopping for countless photo opportunities outside government buildings in Concord and at other sites around the state.

"No one knew they were planning to throw their hat in the ring," Boston Globe columnist Scott Lehigh said. "They've obviously been planning this trip for months, maybe even as long as a year. They managed to squeeze countless side trips into an almost impossibly tight schedule, including a skiing outing at Pats Peak to their stop and a stop at the Hannah Duston monument in Penacook."

Pundits said the family's slow drive through Bear Brook State Park signaled a deep concern for environmental issues, while their decision to attend Sunday services at the New Castle Congregational Church acted as a nod to the country's important bloc of religious voters. The Pattersons also strolled the shopping districts of wealthy Portsmouth, showing their ability to relate to a cross-section of Americans.

"They looked very presidential," Lehigh said.

"They were just really down to earth," Day said.

Despite the growing buzz about their candidacy, some, such as CNN political analyst Bill Schneider, say the family's lack of political experience is a setback. Phil, 49, is a pediatrician; Janice, 47, a homemaker, graduated from the University of Connecticut with a history degree; and Wesley, 19, and Phil Jr., 17, have been widely criticized for their youth. Likewise, the family has yet to form an exploratory committee, and, almost all observers agree that, with a combined annual income of less than $70,000, they are already at a serious fund-raising disadvantage. They were also roundly chided by the media after a major misstep in which Phil Jr. referred to the historic Shaker Village in Canterbury as "sucky."

"The Pattersons have an uphill climb, that's for sure," said political analyst George Stephanopoulos on his ABC program This Week. "But this New Hampshire trip vaults them onto the national stage, sending the message that they are serious about '08. All that's left now is the paperwork."

"Honestly, who in their right mind would visit the Audubon Society of New Hampshire if they weren't running for office?" he added.

Don't look at me like that! You folks were overdue for an Onioning and you know it. As a matter of fact...

William Haskins
01-20-2007, 07:53 PM
“I’m in and I’m in to win.” - Hillary Clinton

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16720167/

blacbird
01-21-2007, 12:46 AM
Only because we have 24-hour news channels that need to fill time will this get any important airplay. It's, like, not "news", ya know?

Bill Richardson, Gov. of New Mexico, is set to announce tomorrow.

caw

benbradley
01-21-2007, 01:16 AM
I was born in the USA and I'll be 35 or older on the day of swearing in, so I'm Constitutionally Qualified. I haven't decided when or if to announce, however.

TheGaffer
01-21-2007, 03:10 AM
It's kind of aggravating. This Congress has barely gotten rolling, and it's all about November 2008 already. Ugh.

billythrilly7th
01-21-2007, 03:30 AM
“I’m not just starting a campaign, though, I’m beginning a conversation with you, with America,” she said. “Let’s talk. Let’s chat.

:ROFL:

Oh god, my biggest fear of having a woman President is already coming to fruition.

Yap. Yap. Yap.

But seriously folks, is that what the Clinton campaign came up with in their marketing department...

"I’m beginning a conversation with you, with America,” she said. “Let’s talk. Let’s chat."

Well, thank you, Hillary. I look forward to our chat.

:ROFL:

Good stuff.

Oh the next two years are gonna be a lot of fun.

TheGaffer
01-21-2007, 03:33 AM
"I’m beginning a conversation with you, with America,” she said. “Let’s talk. Let’s chat."

Yeah, that came off weird even up here in NYC.

She used that in 2000 when she ran for Senate.

It worked because, well, New Yorkers (even upstaters) like to talk. All of us.

There are large swathes of the country that simply prefer not talking at all.

We shall see.

billythrilly7th
01-21-2007, 03:37 AM
And why on a Saturday?

Doesn't that take away from people paying attention and/or hearing about it?

I don't get it.

billythrilly7th
01-21-2007, 05:03 AM
If Hillary wins the Presidential lineage will read...

Bush
Clinton
Bush
Clinton

And people of the future will say "what the hell were they doing?"

Thank you.

Goodnight AW!

Timesaver: yes, and people of the future will say the Bushes were evil bad Presidents and the Clinton's were wonderful good ones.

Goodnight AW!!!

My-Immortal
01-21-2007, 05:32 AM
“I’m in and I’m in to win.” - Hillary Clinton

Isn't that a bit redundant? I mean, no one is going to say, "I'm in and I'm in to lose."

So what exactly does she want to chat about....?

blacbird
01-21-2007, 06:41 AM
The line already reads:

Bush
Clinton
Bush

And people of the present are already asking that question.

caw

SC Harrison
01-21-2007, 09:36 AM
Well, thank you, Hillary. I look forward to our chat.

Come on, Billy! She was a Goldwater Girl!

Best Republican candidate so far...

whistlelock
01-26-2007, 02:07 AM
So, if John Kerry says he's not going to run (http://news.yahoo.com/s/bloomberg/20070124/pl_bloomberg/asundb33iyvy_1), does that mean his last run was a place holder so the current crop could dash for it in 08?

dclary
01-26-2007, 02:12 AM
He's choosing to not run now so he can choose not to not run later.

billythrilly7th
01-26-2007, 02:17 AM
I just thank god this lunatic will never be first lady of this great nation.

http://home.ripway.com/2004-4/95613/JK/Momma%20T/ScaryMommaT.jpg

SC Harrison
01-26-2007, 03:15 AM
I just thank god this lunatic will never be first lady of this great nation.

This explains why John rarely brings her to orgasm anymore. I can almost hear the glass shattering, dogs barking and children screaming.

dclary
01-26-2007, 03:19 AM
Hear? I can SEE the dog barking.

billythrilly7th
01-27-2007, 03:43 AM
Anyone
http://www.thejoyhouse.com/index_files/Reduced%20Heart%20RED.JPG
http://governing.com/poy/2005/huckabee.jpg ???

I went there. Yes I did. Holla.

dclary
01-27-2007, 04:36 AM
Billy, can we call some of these people and ask them what we have to do when we're ready to declare? I don't want to get to 2024 and realize I forgot to fill out a form or something.

billythrilly7th
01-27-2007, 04:42 AM
Billy, can we call some of these people and ask them what we have to do when we're ready to declare? I don't want to get to 2024 and realize I forgot to fill out a form or something.

I'm pretty sure we have to fill something out at the post office.

But I'll make some calls just to be safe.

FatTire
01-27-2007, 09:03 AM
My worst fear, next to Bush finding a way to stay in office for the next 8 years, is for Hilary to win it. I just do not like that woman. So out of touch with America.

Newsflash Hilary, I don't want to talk, or chat with you. I want you to just go away.

billythrilly7th
02-01-2007, 04:36 AM
Al Franken is in.

For Senator.

William Haskins
03-22-2007, 07:18 PM
edwards is as good as done.

John Edwards is suspending his campaign for President, and may drop out completely, because his wife has suffered a recurrence of the cancer that sickened her in 2004, when she was diagnosed with breast cancer, an Edwards friend told The Politico.

"At a minimum he's going to suspend" the campaign, the source said. "Nobody knows precisely how serious her recurrence is. It’ll be another couple of days before there’s complete clarity."

"For him right now he has one priority which is her health and the security of the two young children," said the friend.
As for the campaign, "You don't shut this machine off completely, but everything will go on hold."

http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmith/0307/Edwards_to_Suspend_Campaign.html

TheGaffer
03-22-2007, 08:32 PM
He's not suspending the campaign. He's staying in. Just announced it.

William Haskins
03-22-2007, 08:36 PM
heh... i just saw that.

i wonder how andrew sullivan will recast his newly bestowed sainthood (http://andrewsullivan.theatlantic.com/the_daily_dish/2007/03/edwards_suspend.html)once he gets the word.

Edwards Suspends Campaign (http://andrewsullivan.theatlantic.com/the_daily_dish/2007/03/edwards_suspend.html)

22 Mar 2007 12:17 pm
http://andrewsullivan.theatlantic.com/the_daily_dish/images/2007/03/22/edwardsmanniegarciaafpgetty.jpg (http://andrewsullivan.theatlantic.com/.shared/image.html?/photos/uncategorized/2007/03/22/edwardsmanniegarciaafpgetty.jpg)
He does it because his wife has a recurrence (http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmith/0307/Edwards_to_Suspend_Campaign.html) of cancer in some degree to be further explored. It is of a piece with his character to do this; and a simple testament that he has the right priorities and values to be a president of the United States. Sorry, Ms Coulter. But this man will be remembered for a character you do not even want to possess.

TheGaffer
03-22-2007, 08:44 PM
I don't see it as an either-or. As in, you have no character if you want to run for president while your wife has cancer, and you have impeccable character if you drop out. It's a decision between them, for now. If it worsens, though, I wouldn't be surprised if he indeed drops out.

I see now on news reports that she's got Stage 4 Metatastic Cancer. Which means she may not survive long at all. (Of course she could live for years. But oy.)

William Haskins
03-22-2007, 08:52 PM
oh, i agree. it was no slam of edwards.

but he's damaged goods now, to some extent. endorsements and money is going to be harder to come by with the prospect looming that he won't run all the way.

robeiae
03-22-2007, 09:26 PM
So, he held a press conference to announce his wife's cancer? Why?

I'm sad for his wife and hope she can fight it, but I don't see why he needed a press conference. Is he going to buy some carbon credits to offset all the gas burned by all the reporters in getting to the press conference? Why not just issue a statement on this?

FatTire
03-22-2007, 09:36 PM

I'm sad for his wife and hope she can fight it, but I don't see why he needed a press conference. Is he going to buy some carbon credits to offset all the gas that burned by all the reporters in getting to the press conference? Why not just issue a statement on this?

Photo Op

dclary
03-22-2007, 09:36 PM
this isn't a result of the youtube video that shows him combing his hair for 3 1/2 minutes?

Farrah didn't comb her hair for 3 1/2 minutes.

TheGaffer
03-22-2007, 09:58 PM

I'm sad for his wife and hope she can fight it, but I don't see why he needed a press conference. Is he going to buy some carbon credits to offset all the gas burned by all the reporters in getting to the press conference? Why not just issue a statement on this?

The way people speculate about everything that isn't said, I think the idea of saying as much as possible really isn't a bad move. A press conference in a world populated by you and me, Rob, would not be necessary.

blacbird
03-22-2007, 11:32 PM
Bush
Clinton
Bush

And people of the future will say "what the hell were they doing?"

Newsflash, Trilzy: They're already saying it, on the basis above.

caw