submitting to multiple publishers

Status
Not open for further replies.

torrentwaters

Registered
Reaction score
Is it all right to submit material to different markets? I'm talking about different manuscripts not multiple submissions. Okay yeah this sounds a little dumb because if you don't send work out to a bunch of markets then you can't get published. But once you are published should you stick to the one that publishes you or continue to branch out looking for new markets to publish your work. I know if your electronically published and want your work in print then this is a given, but what if you just want to branch out to other markets of the same kind. Just wondering what you think. Thanks for your time.

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
Huh?
Um, yeah.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There's no reason not to submit your work to the very best market. Say you submitted a story to The New Yorker but they didn't buy it. Neither did Woman's Day or Torrid Romance, but in the end you sold it for $5 to an ezine.

For your next story, don't start with the ezine. You owe them your professionalism, not loyalty. So start again with The New Yorker or Playboy, and this time mention your last story was purchased and appeared in an ezine.

Aim high, every time, unless and until you do have a valid reason for loyalty.

Maryn, parroting others' advice

torrentwaters

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Maryn.
So I shouldn't feel guilt about useing publishers as stepping stone to get where I want to be, right?
Cause I kinda do.

ebrillblaiddes

Registered
Reaction score
torrentwaters said:
Thanks Maryn.
So I shouldn't feel guilt about useing publishers as stepping stone to get where I want to be, right?
Cause I kinda do.
It's a business for them, and a business for you. Nothing to feel guilty about.

On the other hand, it's perfectly logical as well as loyal to go with what works in cases when an attempt to branch out doesn't work--"SuperDuperMagazine didn't bite, and neither did OtherMagazineI'dReallyLikeToBeIn...OK, I'll send it to AlreadyLikesMe." Building a following among a publication's fans is generally a good thing, after all, and while there's no obligation to be "loyal" to your usual fallback position, if it doesn't hurt you, why not?

Cliffs notes: It's a great big balancing act. Do what works for you and is legal and not frowned on by cute furry animals; no editor expects to be the first to see everything you ever write.

PeeDee

Where's my tea, please...?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
We are talking about short story publishers, right? And not book publishers? I'll assume that we are, because that's where my commentary lies.

One of the prime advantages that I see to selling your next story to the magazine which took your last story is, you will develop a bit of a sense of what they like to take. Not only because of the story you sold them, but the other stories they've bought. You can start to tell where your story fits into them. In other words, you get a better sense of how to aim your next story, if you want to sell to them.

That said, if it's a story with no logical home, or you have no desire to publish it for $5.00 again in this little ezine, why do it? Send it off to the New Yorker, like Maryn says. The worst they can do is say no, and then you can bung it off to someone else.

Just don't get too chummy with the magazine, or you'll find yourself on staff and going through a slush pile. If I were allowed to use a smilie, I'd put a winking one right here.

torrentwaters

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for all your replys.
Although I was thinking more along the lines of ebook publishers, than magazines. If it was magazines, or ezines, I probably wouldn't feel weird about bouncing from one to another.

Status
Not open for further replies.