PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about Rep Points

Doctor Shifty
12-16-2006, 12:19 PM
I know that members can give rep points to each other. However, I have just come across my UserCP page that tells me about the rep points that others have given me - thanks everyone.

And now I have a question.

Is there some way of knowing when a rep point is awarded for a particular post? Of do we have to go looking up UserCP to check? All I find is a link to the thread, but not necessarily to the post itself.

dpaterso
12-16-2006, 12:33 PM
When you click on the thread link you're taken to the message in the thread that the rep point was given from.

What you might not know about rep points:

500 points gets you a hot date with a "rep point girl" (you'll receive a list of volunteers, with naked pics). Or if you prefer, with a "rep point boy" (there's only one guy available... you may guess who).

1,000 points gets you a new BMW -or- a two-week trip to Hawaii (unless you live in Hawaii, in which case you get a two-week tour of a German car factory).

5,000 points gets you a mansionhouse in Bel Air -or- a lifetime subscription to the Cute Fluffy Animals Channel.

But if you accumulate any negative rep points along the way, all prizes are null and void.

Good luck!

-Derek

Susie
12-16-2006, 09:05 PM
:roll: I luv all the prizes!:)

kristie911
12-17-2006, 01:04 AM
500 points...Or if you prefer, with a "rep point boy" (there's only one guy available... you may guess who).

I think I'll start shamelessly begging for rep points. I could use a date! :D

writerterri
12-17-2006, 01:21 AM
Um...I'm up past 1,500, just put a check in the mail and I'll shop for myself.

Thank you.

Bartholomew
12-17-2006, 01:34 AM
500 points gets you a hot date with a "rep point girl" (you'll receive a list of volunteers, with naked pics).

Bartholomew cracks his whip over the toiling AWers.

More reps! Faster!

Freckles
12-17-2006, 01:51 AM
I think I'll start shamelessly begging for rep points. I could use a date! :D

Come on over to my Obsessive Rep Point Checkers Club...we're VERY generous! ;)

Alan Yee
12-17-2006, 02:10 AM
Tell me about Rep Points

Sorry to rip off Forrest Gump, but rep points are like boxes of chocolate. You never know which ones you'll get.

:D

Perks
12-17-2006, 02:15 AM
Derek lies. The date was not hot. All 'rep point boy' did all night was check his text messages.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
12-17-2006, 02:16 AM
And some of 'em might be those yukky cream-filled ones. :D

TrainofThought
12-17-2006, 02:16 AM
I enjoy receiving, but very generous in giving.

Unique
12-17-2006, 02:19 AM
Rep points --- the secret messages of AW

Ol' Fashioned Girl
12-17-2006, 02:20 AM
And you just HAD to make me look to be sure you weren't hiding some...

dpaterso
12-17-2006, 03:28 AM
Derek lies. The date was not hot. All 'rep point boy' did all night was check his text messages.
Not so, I checked the rep point logbook, the entry for that night says and I quote: This woman was just too hot for me deal with! Hot? She was sizzling! I trembled so much the dinner table shook constantly. I couldn't speak, I was too busy falling into her eyes, they're so deep and knowing. I tried to secretly txt friends to ask what I should say, but I think she noticed. I prayed she would lean over and whisper in my ear, "Would you like me to seduce you?" But then I would probably have fainted. The night was a total washout thanks to me. I left a message on her answering machine but she hasn't called back. I can't eat. I can't sleep. I can't stop thinking about her.

Just 7 little words could have made that night something special. All you had to do was whisper them.

-Derek

Doctor Shifty
12-17-2006, 07:56 AM
Rep points --- the secret messages of AW

And that is why I was asking. When I found the points page I saw the comments. But neither points nor comments seem to be visible, or checkable, on the posts themselves.

And for every post on this thread so far I have given a point. If you posted twice that's two points. And had you voted more, lots lots more, you would have won that BMW.

Susie
12-17-2006, 11:27 PM
Rats, and I was so close to that bmw!:)

Fingers
12-18-2006, 02:32 AM
I must be doing something wrong, ive checked my cp and dont see anything about rep points. Guess I dont have any yet. Ah well. Waiting is.

Doctor Shifty
12-19-2006, 03:34 PM
Hey Fingers,

if you hit the CP link you should find the rep point list under the subscribed threads list. I just threw you a point so you've got something to check.

LloydBrown
12-19-2006, 07:38 PM
Just 7 little words could have made that night something special. All you had to do was whisper them.

Ah, you're a technomage. Got it.

truelyana
12-19-2006, 07:41 PM
Do any of the rep points win any stack of food?

PeeDee
12-19-2006, 08:03 PM
Rep point girl, I'm ashamed to say, was Wanda. God. I should never have opened my front door to see who it was. She's terrifying. She makes me post with five related sentences, no idiom, two three syllable words and no ellipses. I'm going to die.

copeck
11-01-2008, 07:40 AM
Ok... Ehm... *clears throat...* Pardon me for reviving this thread. http://absolutewrite.com/forums/images/icons/icon10.gif

Can we give more than one rep point at a time to posts we find to be absolutely hilarious or creative?http://absolutewrite.com/forums/images/icons/icon14.gif

Haggis
11-01-2008, 07:45 AM
Ok... Ehm... *clears throat...* Pardon me for reviving this thread. http://absolutewrite.com/forums/images/icons/icon10.gif

Can we give more than one rep point at a time to posts

we find to be absolutely hilarious or creative?http://absolutewrite.com/forums/images/icons/icon14.gif

*blushes*

No, but I appreciate the sentiment. :D

Yeshanu
11-01-2008, 09:08 AM
You can always rep multiple posts for the same user, though. I did that one time, leaving only a part of my comment with each rep. It was hilarious, at least from my end. :D (I should say I repped about twenty of that user's posts in one day...)

rhgibson
11-25-2008, 06:55 PM
Does someone have to be at a certain level in terms of number of posts in order to be able to give someone else a rep point? I'm new on the board and I have over 50 posts which seems to be a level where things change (I can have a custom avatar, etc.). But while I see that I have the little thingy on my posts for people to be able to rep me, there isn't that little thingy on anyone else's posts so that I can rep them. Will that just magically appear some day?

Yeshanu
11-25-2008, 07:25 PM
Everyone can give rep points right from the start, rh. I got one from a newbie yesterday. :)

On the bottom left of everyone's posts, you should see, from left to right,

a) a dot, which is green if they're on line,

b) a set of scales, which is just a grey line drawing, and

c) a little triangle thingy with a red outline and a black exclamation point in it.

The scales are what you click on to give someone a rep point, the triangle thingy reports obnoxious posts to the mods.

If you don't see the triangle thingy, and you are signed in, you should pm a mod, who will help you out.

rhgibson
11-25-2008, 09:40 PM
Thanks yeshanu. I will pm a mod. On my posts there are the three thingys but on everyone else's posts there is only the dot and the triangle, no scale thing in the middle. And yes I am logged in. I thought that seemed odd. Must be some weird glitch.

Kalyke
11-26-2008, 04:55 AM
He, he, I did not know this myself. I have a lot of rep points but did not know how to give them. I will get to work right away.

cooeedownunder
11-26-2008, 12:25 PM
Rep points turn you into shiny or bright things, and if you are really good, better than hot fudge with ice cream or something...mmmmmmmmm yum

Madisonwrites
11-26-2008, 08:14 PM
Oooh, it's cold where I am, so maybe my points will turn into a nice cup of hot cocoa with PLENTY of marshmellows? Yum-o! :e2coffee:

Alphabeter
11-27-2008, 12:32 PM
http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2971746

They are addictive!

cooeedownunder
11-28-2008, 05:36 AM
And if you're lucky you can even get smooches, but I like the dancing things :banana:

C.bronco
11-28-2008, 07:13 AM
See the little scale below my name? It's between the circle and the exclamation mark.

Yea, he who reppest others hasest reps bestowed upon himself; as thou reppest last, ye reppest best. Of all thine reps, one must transcend reppitutude, and, thus, be complete. Amen.

miles
11-30-2008, 07:12 PM
This is a quote from another post:

There is a spot just under the "o" in the word posts under a username where you can hover your mouse and find out a person's rep level.

I never knew it's possible to see another user's rep level. And I can't figure out what "o" she's referring to.

Anyone know?

cray
11-30-2008, 09:00 PM
This is a quote from another post:

I never knew it's possible to see another user's rep level. And I can't figure out what "o" she's referring to.

Anyone know?

on everyone's post you see the
move your curser underneath the "o" of posts and you should see the 'rep level'

miles
11-30-2008, 09:16 PM

Oh, I see. It's not an actual number. Is there a list somewhere of the levels of "greatness"?

Haggis
11-30-2008, 09:16 PM

Cray? Why does it say "on the way out" under yours?

smoothseas
11-30-2008, 09:22 PM
Any song writers on board?
If we had a ditty about rep points, it could be AW's theme song.
I'd try, but I'm tonally-challenged.

rhymegirl
11-30-2008, 09:44 PM
Miles, it says you have a spectacular aura.

rhymegirl
11-30-2008, 09:54 PM
Oh, I see. It's not an actual number. Is there a list somewhere of the levels of "greatness"?

This should help:

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10217

cray
11-30-2008, 09:55 PM
Cray? Why does it say "on the way out" under yours?

:e2moon:

jamiehall
12-01-2008, 04:59 AM
Don't forget about all the special levels and labels (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10217).

rhymegirl
12-01-2008, 05:43 AM
I put that link about the levels in my post above. #40

SarahDavidson
01-11-2009, 01:23 AM
Does someone have to be at a certain level in terms of number of posts in order to be able to give someone else a rep point? I'm new on the board and I have over 50 posts which seems to be a level where things change (I can have a custom avatar, etc.). But while I see that I have the little thingy on my posts for people to be able to rep me, there isn't that little thingy on anyone else's posts so that I can rep them. Will that just magically appear some day?

How many posts must I have before I can upload an avatar?

Just curious.

auntybug
01-11-2009, 02:46 AM
How many posts must I have before I can upload an avatar?

Just curious.

:welcome:

jvc
01-11-2009, 07:08 PM
Auntybug is right, 50 posts is required before you can upload a custom avatar. You also need at least ten rep points too, although as luck would have it, you start off with ten rep points when you join :D . Of course posts in office party and TIO don't count towards your total.

MMcDonald64
01-13-2009, 10:54 PM
I'm confused because I can see the scale between the online dot and the triangle only on my own posts, not anyone elses's posts. Is there something I need to do, as far as my profile settings, that will allow me to see that?

Yeshanu
01-14-2009, 01:16 AM
I think you may need to talk to a super mod about that. I know of at least one other person whose account wasn't right so he couldn't rep others, but one of the supers fixed it for him.

priggy
01-14-2009, 01:55 AM
Thanks for this information guys, its really helpful.

When do you guys decide that someone deserves a rep point?

auntybug
01-14-2009, 02:06 AM
Thanks for this information guys, its really helpful.

When do you guys decide that someone deserves a rep point?

Quickie never deserves a rep. Never.

Mods like it when you flash your boobies at them. (especially Roger)

I've had people question my reps and smiley usage - never expect mine to make sense. It is what it is.

Oh, and looked out for Susie's random hugs :D

:welcome: to you too!

Rep rule #1 - there is no rep rule. :)

quickWit
01-14-2009, 02:28 AM
Dearest Priggy,

I'm sure by now you've become aware of the misinformation that routinely makes it's way around the Cooler. It's a troublesome occurence, to be sure, but one we're constantly working to improve upon. Luckily, there are a number of dedicated, selfless members of the AW community (such as myself) who are happy to offer guidance where others offer simple finger-pointing and immature emoticon advice.

*cough* bugs *cough*

With that in mind, may I suggest that you base your rep giving upon the poster's rapier wit, wisdom and general awesomeness. If you let those simple qualities be your guide, then surely yours will be reps coveted above all others in the AW realm. Go forth and rep, Priggy. Rep like the wind!

BTW... auntybug is a pathological liar, and if she says she isn't, she's lying.

Susie
01-14-2009, 03:43 AM
Quickie never deserves a rep. Never.

Mods like it when you flash your boobies at them. (especially Roger)

I've had people question my reps and smiley usage - never expect mine to make sense. It is what it is.

Oh, and looked out for Susie's random hugs :D

:welcome: to you too!

Rep rule #1 - there is no rep rule. :)

Aww, that sweet of you aunty, and look out for aunty's icon's. They're mesmerizing, like aunty! :D