PDA

View Full Version : Historic change in Japan; WWII era over?

Bird of Prey
12-16-2006, 04:25 AM
Friday December 15, 7:54 PM

Japan creates first defense ministry since WWII

Japan's parliament has enacted laws to create a full-fledged defense ministry and to instill patriotism at schools, breaking two taboos lingering since defeat in World War II.
The bills were legislative victories for embattled Prime Minister Shinzo Abe, a passionate advocate of a more assertive Japan, who has faced slipping poll ratings and on Friday survived a no-confidence motion. . . .

The upper house approved the bill to create a cabinet-level defense ministry for the first time since 1945, upgrading the "Defense Agency" which had lower rank and influence. The lower house already passed it.
Abe, the first premier to be born after the war, has put a top priority on creating a defense ministry and eventually rewriting the US-imposed 1947 constitution that declared Japan a pacifist country.
http://sg.news.yahoo.com/061215/1/45hl0.html

tourdeforce
12-16-2006, 04:31 AM
What's first on the agenda?

Kidnapping Korean women to serve as sex slaves for their soldiers?

Invading China and brutalizing it citizens?

An America Study Group to see what went wrong last time?

billythrilly7th
12-16-2006, 04:37 AM
So?

Is this bad, good or nothing?

They can't have a defense ministry?

If they do, should the guys at Pearl Harbor start worrying?

Talk to me, Prey.

Thank you.

Vincent
12-16-2006, 04:44 AM
They already have an army. They just call it the SELF defence force. It's very constrained. But with North Korea testing nukes and firing rockets, and China on the rise, they had to shrug off the past sooner or later.

billythrilly7th
12-16-2006, 04:46 AM
Defense ministry = troops eventually.

But they have troops.

Talk to me, Bird.

billythrilly7th
12-16-2006, 04:48 AM
They already have an army. They just call it the SELF defence force. It's very constrained. But with North Korea testing nukes and firing rockets, and China on the rise, they had to shrug off the past sooner or later.

Gotcha.

Well, I think the Japan thing just goes to show you how to handle an enemy.

I guess we made them, after WWII, say "Let's really not get involved in annnnnyyyything like that again. Let's not even say we have troops. We'll call them defense forces."

God bless ya, Harry Truman.

greglondon
12-16-2006, 04:50 AM
A smartarsssss is ssssssmokin tonight. . . ..

BWHAHAHAHAHAA!

Oh, man I hurt my ribs, I laughed so hard.

billythrilly7th
12-16-2006, 04:53 AM
All right, Billy.

We're on board, here. We want them to have big troops, nasty troops, declared troops, lethal troops . . .

Cuz we've got an idea that China needs a little preoccupation. . . .

Okay...this is exciting!!

We have a new topic!!

Thanks, Bird.

So....cool...I think it's good that any strong ally of ours wants to build up their defense forces so when the final battle between good and evil takes place we have all the help we can get.

Now...in my own preparations for that battle, I'm going to the gym.

Good day.

Tiger
12-16-2006, 07:34 AM
What's first on the agenda?

Kidnapping Korean women to serve as sex slaves for their soldiers?

Invading China and brutalizing it citizens?

An America Study Group to see what went wrong last time?

I think that war's over...

MattW
12-16-2006, 07:38 AM
If the US can count on some kind of ally forces in Asia, then it is better for our national policy. We can take some pressure off troops in of S Korea, and Japan can play a more influential role in regional politics with some actual teeth.

On the flip side, it is good for the US economically. Japan pumping funds into defense is Japan putting less focus on their industrial growth.

GPatten
12-16-2006, 10:23 AM
(防衛庁, Bōei-chō?)

Donít give Rosy Odonald any more words. :D

Tiger
12-16-2006, 10:44 AM
Donít give Rosy Odonald any more words. :D

Why? Is she full?