Jeb Bush Suspends Executions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
http://www.bradenton.com/mld/bradenton/news/nation/16249722.htm

All executions in Florida will be halted until a special commission can review lethal injection procedures, under an executive order Gov. Jeb Bush signed following the unusually long death of Miami killer Angel Diaz.

Bush's order, asking the commission to report its results by March 1, came the day that a doctor who performed an Diaz's autopsy said that the lethal-injection needles punctured straight through both of his veins, dissipating the poisons that took 34 minutes to kill him.

''The main problem with the conduct of this execution procedure was that the fluids to be injected were not going into a vein, but were going into small tissues in the arm,'' said Alachua County Medical Examiner William F. Hamilton.

Diaz, grimmacing, took 34 minutes to die.

Bush called it ''a matter of humanity, constitutional imperative and common sense'' to ensure that Florida is carrying out the death penalty in a way that does not violate the constitutional ban on cruel and unusual punishment. Diaz's execution has come under fire because doctors had to administer two doses of lethal drugs.

The 11-member commission, including five appointed by the governor, will have until March to complete its report. Bush said ``these appointees will represent a cross-section of the scientific, medical, law enforcement and legal communities.''

''I look forward to the commission's expeditious review of the lethal injection protocols in Florida to ensure the method is consistent with the Eighth Amendment of the United States Constitution and its prohibition against cruel and unusual punishment,'' Bush said in a statement.

I agree with the review.

I really wish they'd just use the guilotine.

It's quick, painless and effective.

OR get doctors who can find a freaking vain and/or not gack it up when they do!!

My nurse gets blood out of me in two seconds.

I don't understand why these guys are having such a problem.

Last edited:

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
We wouldn’t be having these problems if the idiot in the WH went after OBL instead of the oil in Iraq; quit backing Israel and give the poor Palestine’s their…

alices

Banned
Reaction score
William Haskins said:
We wouldn’t be having these problems if the idiot in the WH went after OBL instead of the oil in Iraq; quit backing Israel and give the poor Palestine’s their…
Cute...not funny, but cute.

Reaction score
William Haskins said:

Very true.

We'd have the money to go back to the pre-Iraq American utopia of no homeless people, functioning public schools, 0% unemployment, solvent Social Security and well paid, competent executioners.

Oh well.

:Shrug:

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
Billy, I think I understand what you're saying here. I find myself wondering "how long did it take his victims to die." I'm essentially of the belief if we can kill him faster than he killed his victims, then we're being humane.

34 minutes to die? Waah.

Reaction score
dclary said:
Billy, I think I understand what you're saying here. I find myself wondering "how long did it take his victims to die." I'm essentially of the belief if we can kill him faster than he killed his victims, then we're being humane.

34 minutes to die? Waah.

Yeah, I hear ya.

I certainly ain't losing any sleep over this guys 34 minute odyssey.

And I think Jeb made a great political move as well.

In 2012 or 2016 whenever, it will play well in Peoria with moderates.

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
Bush's order, asking the commission to report its results by March 1, came the day that a doctor who performed an Diaz's autopsy said that the lethal-injection needles punctured straight through both of his veins, dissipating the poisons that took 34 minutes to kill him.

I'm not sure what they mean by "straight through." Are they saying that the veins were infiltrated? Did the needle go through one side of the vein and come out the other, in other words? I'm amazed that someone administering a lethal injection would do this. It happened to me when I was poor and sold my plasma to buy records. But only twice, and it was university students.

greglondon

Planet Wookie techno geek
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Rodents Of Unusual Size? I don't think they exist.
Website
www.greglondon.com
Celia Cyanide said:
I'm not sure what they mean by "straight through." ... Did the needle go through one side of the vein and come out the other,

Yeah, that's what I read it to mean. Instead of the chemicals going into his vein and through his whole body, he ended up with chemical burns in his arm because it all went into the muscles of his arm and stayed there.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
The condemned had liver disease, which apparently slowed the progress of the first "lethal" dose. They gave him a second helping to hurry things along.

I didn't see any of his victim's family crying over the fact that he appeared uncomfortable during his final moments.

Reaction score
tourdeforce said:
Executions!

Sure, if the money goes to the victim's families...but we're gonna need a show like....

photorunning1.jpg

I'm not paying $49.95 to watch some doctor futz around with a needle for a half hour.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
Bird of Prey said:
What's the price for revenge?
I don't know.

To borrow from archaic usage, the issue has me caught betwixt and between. How does one justify murder? And equally important, how does one justify feelings of indifference when said murderer is executed?

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
greglondon said:
Ohmygawd, you DID by Charma Chameleon! ACK!

Apparently this experiment has an unintended side effect. I seem far older than I am. I am much too young to have been buying Karma Chameleon when I was selling my plasma. This was after I graduated from college. By this time, one could purchase Karma Chameleon for a quarter in every used record store. There would have been no need for me to sell my plasma to obtain it.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
Bird of Prey said:
Your second question begs explanation.
I can't work up my feelings enough to care for the death of a convicted murderer, whether it be by the hand of the state, another inmate, or by his own hand or natural causes.

Strictly on a personal level, it doesn't matter anymore. Thirty years of pondering has rendered the debate less than interesting, and allows for more time to devote to issues that beg immediate attention, those which affect our populace as a whole.

Status
Not open for further replies.