Okay, so an agent likes your query and calls...

FloVoyager

Will write for chocolate
Registered
Reaction score
...and says what?

When agents call you on the phone because they like your query and want more information and/or a partial, what do they ask? How do these conversations typically go?

clara bow

Li'l Rug Bug
Registered
Reaction score

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
In the case of fiction, agents seldom call except when they want to represent you. And that's usually after they've read the full.

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
My agent called me, the day after I had mailed her the first three chapters [this is in the UK where a) you tend to submit 3 chapters from the off, and b) where the mail is really fast]. She simply requested the full MS. And I said yes.

Once she had read the MS she called again. Had lots of positive things to say, but requested some edits.

I did those and returned the MS to her.

She called a third time, and this time she said she wanted to meet.

When we met I went several hours before I finally asked if she was going to represent me or not. She smiled devilishly and said, "I always wait to see how long it takes an author to ask that question." Oh those wacky agents.

She said yes, by the way.

That's how it went for me.

ORION

Sailed away years ago
Registered
Reaction score
Website
patriciawoodauthor.com
Whenever anyone wanted a partial or full they emailed they didn't call.
My agent called twice. Once to tell me she was enjoying my manuscript and to see if I was a nutter and the second time (a week later) to offer representation.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
My agent called after reading the full to discuss what she thought she could do with it and whether "we'd be interested in letting her give it a try." :) Nice to be asked whether we wanted HER.

Maprilynne

Author Waiting in the Wings
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.powerfulbirth.com
The agent I'm working with now called to gush about my novel and then suggest revisions. But, again, it was after reading the full.

I've heard (once or twice, I think) of agents calling at the query stage, but usually just to say, will you send me the full, I don't want your SASE to get lost.

HTH!:)

Maprilynne

Carmy

Banned
Reaction score
FloVoyager -- I wonder if the agent called because she was scared someone else who offer to represent you and she wanted to get in there first.

Good luck.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Agents

My agent called after reading the query, as well. From my experience, the phone is the number one tool agents use when they want to see more, or when the want to pffer representation.

What they usually ask is for more details, or sometimes merely how soon you can have whatever it is they want in tehir office.

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
Jamesaritchie said:
My agent called after reading the query, as well. From my experience, the phone is the number one tool agents use when they want to see more, or when the want to pffer representation.

You got more phone calls than emails or letters? That's amazing.

Begbie

Quite a character
Registered
Reaction score
I received an email after the query requesting a partial, an email after the partial requesting the full, a phone call after the full offering representation.

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
Last time I was on the query-go-round, I had one super agent call me on the phone about half an hour after I emailed her my query. It ultimately didn't work out, (she wanted more of a romance, while I lean much more to mystery) but it was a real charge at the time.

FloVoyager

Will write for chocolate
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. Just wondered about this.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Julie Worth said:
You got more phone calls than emails or letters? That's amazing.

I've never received an e-mail from an agent who was interested in anything. They always call. Same with editors. I'd say 90% of the writers I know who have found an interested agent received phone calls, rather than e-mails.

From my experience, most good agents use e-mail and letters when they aren't interested, and the phone when they are. It's poor business to use e-mail when a phone number is available.

With the phone, there's no doubt that you reached the person, and phone calls aren't accidentally deleted or ignored. You can also have an actual conversation.

ORION

Sailed away years ago
Registered
Reaction score
Website
patriciawoodauthor.com
James -Just a thought to consider- What you say is probably true for the mainland but I probably received more positive emails first and then the calls as I am in Hawaii and the time difference makes people crazy. When my agent called to offer rep she ended up calling at 5 am!
I said no problem!! Honest!
Now I'm working with my editor and I get up at 4 am to be at 9 am New York time...My point is those who live out in the wilds as I do or in another country very well might get an email rather than a phone call first.
JMHO

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
Jamesaritchie said:
From my experience, most good agents use e-mail and letters when they aren't interested, and the phone when they are.
Well, it's certainly true that no one ever calls to tell you they're not interested.

But I think there's also a common scenario where an agent will email to say, I'm interested and I’d like to talk with you further about it - I’m free Thursday afternoon, would that be a good time to call you?

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
When I was shopping a ms in the UK last year two agents called at the query stage to ask for fulls or partials - two excellent agents, as well.
One agent called to reject me - one of the UK's very top dogs - (Darley A). And he spoke with me for half an hour! In fact he had been recommended to me by one of his authors, who I know personally and who had loved and blurbed my first novel. She told me how nice he was, so he was the first agent I queried with a partial and synopsis. I am so ashamed of that letter! I had never queried before and didn't know the first thing about it. It was before I had been on AW. the letter was full of explanations and personal stuff.
He called me back to say that he'd read the partial but it was too slow for him - he only reps very faced paced commercial fiction. He said I was a good writer but I should look for an agent for more literary work. We discussed various things about my novel and how and where to shop it. He even recommended one agent to me. And he was indeed very, very nice! I am just so embarrassed now about the way I approached him.

For my present book, it was all email replies, but then again I am querying US agents and I am in the UK/Europe. Then one agent mailed to say she loved it and she wanted to call me and when would be a suitable time. I said ANYTIME!!!!!! She called then next day with an offer.