Less touchy(feelie?) Christians? Here as Other?

Higgins

Banned
Reaction score
I'm nominally a Christian, but among Christians I feel like an other.

Perhaps we less Christian christians could hide here in a religious sense?

Meerkat

Claims the loan was a gift
Registered
Reaction score
"site, place, position" --Roget's Thesaurus
Since others will no doubt check your profile page before commenting on your message above, what exactly IS that a photo of in your profile? A fossil? A work of art?

Sean D. Schaffer

Registered
Reaction score
Sokal said:
I'm nominally a Christian, but among Christians I feel like an other.

Perhaps we less Christian christians could hide here in a religious sense?

You're not the only one who feels that way right now. I've been looking at what I believe versus what a lot of Christians teach and I am finding that I do not agree with a great many things taught these days within the Church.

I am actually debating a different approach, that was suggested to me by a Jewish friend. It's something called being a "Noachite", and would apply to me because I am a Gentile who loves the G-d of the Bible. I'm not trying to convert anyone to this, because of a couple reasons. One, I am not sure right now what path I need to follow, and two, I do not wish to emulate those people who try to force their religion down other people's throats. I was one such person, and my reason for doing it was that I thought if I didn't, G-d would not be happy with me. Fear is a bad reason, IMO, to do anything of the religious kind.

TSByrne

Registered
Reaction score
Ian D. Mecantie said:
Fear is a bad reason, IMO, to do anything of the religious kind.

That's the most intelligent thing I think I've ever heard any Christian person ever say. Bravo.

I wish more people thought like that, rather than cowering in fear of a racist, sexist deity and trying to nail my balls to a cross for not doing so.

Sean D. Schaffer

Registered
Reaction score
TSByrne said:
That's the most intelligent thing I think I've ever heard any Christian person ever say. Bravo.

I wish more people thought like that, rather than cowering in fear of a racist, sexist deity and trying to nail my balls to a cross for not doing so.

I appreciate the sentiment. Thank you kindly.

One thing: since I wrote my last post, I have converted to Noachism from Christianity. This is not something I do lightly, as it is a complete turn-around from what I have always believed.

I still hold, as I said in my post, that being afraid is not a reason to do anything of the religious sort. A lot of people believe that because the King James Bible teaches that men should 'Fear' the L-rd, that somehow means fear in a modern context. Some time ago, a pastor told me that the meaning of 'Fear the L-rd' in King James English, could be better translated 'Respect the L-rd'. So, knowing this, I believe that my faith in a G-d Who does not expect the kind of fear that people today think of in order to do His Will, is justified by both the language and by the context of the Bible.

When I wrote my previous post, I was still a Christian. Now, however, I do not follow Jesus as G-d. Rather, I believe what the Old Testament says about G-d 1.) not being a man; 2.) not being able to die for my sins; and 3.) not having an 'only begotten son'.

Again, I am by no means trying to proselytize anyone to my new faith here. Rather, I am simply explaining how I now believe, and the fact that I believe I have found the path that is right for myself.

My hope for everyone here, is that they may find the path that is right for them. I wish you all the very best that life can give you. :)

Higgins

Banned
Reaction score
Technically

Ian D. Mecantie said:
I appreciate the sentiment. Thank you kindly.

One thing: since I wrote my last post, I have converted to Noachism from Christianity. This is not something I do lightly, as it is a complete turn-around from what I have always believed.

I still hold, as I said in my post, that being afraid is not a reason to do anything of the religious sort. A lot of people believe that because the King James Bible teaches that men should 'Fear' the L-rd, that somehow means fear in a modern context. Some time ago, a pastor told me that the meaning of 'Fear the L-rd' in King James English, could be better translated 'Respect the L-rd'. So, knowing this, I believe that my faith in a G-d Who does not expect the kind of fear that people today think of in order to do His Will, is justified by both the language and by the context of the Bible.

When I wrote my previous post, I was still a Christian. Now, however, I do not follow Jesus as G-d. Rather, I believe what the Old Testament says about G-d 1.) not being a man; 2.) not being able to die for my sins; and 3.) not having an 'only begotten son'.

Again, I am by no means trying to proselytize anyone to my new faith here. Rather, I am simply explaining how I now believe, and the fact that I believe I have found the path that is right for myself.

My hope for everyone here, is that they may find the path that is right for them. I wish you all the very best that life can give you. :)

Technically, you can avoid the Jesus as Deity problem and still be a Christian. It was a popular position during the early Enlightenment (as held by eg, Isaac Newton and John Locke for example). In late Antiquity it was the position known as "Arianism" (after Arius) and the Goths (of all sorts) were Arian Christians. It took Orthodox (ie proto-Roman Catholic and proto-"Orthodox") Christianity about 125 years to get Arianism to be totally declared heretical (Council of Nicea 325 AD to council of Chalcedon 451 AD).

So actually, if you wanted to, you could stay Christian...sort of...as another other Christian.

Sean D. Schaffer

Registered
Reaction score
Sokal said:
Technically, you can avoid the Jesus as Deity problem and still be a Christian. It was a popular position during the early Enlightenment (as held by eg, Isaac Newton and John Locke for example). In late Antiquity it was the position known as "Arianism" (after Arius) and the Goths (of all sorts) were Arian Christians. It took Orthodox (ie proto-Roman Catholic and proto-"Orthodox") Christianity about 125 years to get Arianism to be totally declared heretical (Council of Nicea 325 AD to council of Chalcedon 451 AD).

So actually, if you wanted to, you could stay Christian...sort of...as another other Christian.

I know what you're saying, Sokal, and I appreciate it. I just personally have changed my viewpoint to the extent that I do not any more believe that Jesus was the Messiah or a Prophet.

Again, I do not wish to start an argument on a thread devoted to Christianity. I only meant to explain my viewpoint in my previous post and never intended to try to turn other people away from Jesus.

I will go ahead quickly and unsubscribe from this thread, because I see this discussion becoming less of what it was intended to be. I do not like hijacking threads, and I think I may have inadvertently hijacked the discussion.

I hope you understand, Sokal, that this is not to do with you or the viewpoints of Christianity in any form. It just has to do with the fact that this thread seems to be taking a direction that I personally think you did not intend it to take.

I offer you my apologies if my post was considered in any way, shape, or form, disruptive to the intent of the OP, and I wish you the very best that life can give you.

I'll see you around the boards. :)