Form Letter Rejections Preferred

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I received an interesting rejection yesterday from a pro print magazine. I'm not going to identify which magazine it was. I'm not mad because I got rejected. I understand magazines get a hundred submissions for every story they buy, and they've got to make a decision. However, I want to use this letter to demonstrate why magazines should used form letter rejections.

"Dear Mark:
Much better manuscript preperation this time, for which we thank you."

It's nice. He even remembered that I sent him a manuscript two years ago. And he gave me valuable advice then, suggesting I use a bigger font which I have ever since. Moreover, Dear Mark sounds a lot better than Dear Author. However, notice he mispelled preparation. I don't think I'd trust a manuscript of mine to their editing.

"Thank you for letting us see your work, "Fred Fornier: the Professional Revivier." Essentially science fiction, which we avoid, and ends in futility, which we also avoid."

There's a big problem with this. The story I sent them was not "Fred Fornier: The Professional Reviver." (April/May 2006 Nocturnal Ooze Magazine). That was the sole publication credit that I listed on my cover letter. The title of the story I sent them was "Do Unto Others..." I just wonder how they got it so mixed up. Also notice the mispelled reviver. I do believe they read my story, although I don't consider my story sci fi. My instructor at LRWG also classified it as sci fi. It does have elements of sci fi, but it's supposed to be a horror story and an allegory of how people can be on the one hand so nice to the people they love and on the other how cruel to those they hate.

I understand that it was not the kind of story they were looking for. I accept and respect there decision. However, I doubt I'll be sending them a story again. It took them five months to respond, and then I get this sloppy letter back. It gives me doubts about the quality of their editing.

This is one example of why I prefer form letter rejections.

Vincent

Cheers
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Hell, I'd prefer sloppy to form anyday. Though quicker than 5 months would be nice, too.

Meerkat

Claims the loan was a gift
Registered
Reaction score
"site, place, position" --Roget's Thesaurus
I'd still prefer the human touch...let's you know that it was opened at least, as your example also indicates. Plus, if everyone could spell and reflect details as well as we can, we would all be out of our...um, future careers....

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Rejection

Jeeze, talking about worry over nothing. The shape, condition, and spelling in a rejection letter means nothing, and has zero to do with an editor's ability.

And did you notice that you kept writing "mispelled?" When you complain about someone else's spelling, you should make sure yours is correct.

Somehow, I don't think they'll mind not seeing another story.

aliajohnson

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alissa-johnson.com
First and foremost--sorry about the rejection. While I generally prefer a more personal rejection letter, I can certainly see how it would be doubly disheartening to get a letter that had the wrong title of my work in it. The spelling I could live with easily--I'm a terrible speller in a casual situation, but the wrong title bit would hurt a little.

johnzakour

Dangerous with a Keyboard
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.johnzakour.com
The editor just made a mistake. Contrary to popular belief editors are human.

Treat it like any other rejection. Learn what you can from it then move on.

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Better luck next time, is all I have to say!

Status
Not open for further replies.