Status
Not open for further replies.

aarthurco

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.snappywriting.com
Hi Guys,

Please help so I don't act foolishly. I have two big houses looking at my non fiction proposal. I submitted to them direct because I couldn't get an agent. I had many express an interest (agents) but the market I am working in is tight.

So I have this kick ass proposal out to two big whigs. They acknowledged receipt, back on Sep. 18th and 20th respectively. (Both requested to see the manuscript, so it is not unsolicited). How long before I hear back? Should I expect no message as bad news? And, if they do respond, are they most likely to call or send a formal letter contract?

I am sad as I am going on 3 months now with no response, though I know some publishers can take up to 6 months to review a proposal.

This is extremely frustrating. I run to my mailbox expecting miracles every day (laugh). Please help.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

aarthurco

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.snappywriting.com
Waiting?

Hi, I'm sorry does anyone have any similar experience? Should I just remain patient as the poster above me (kudos for having patience strong one!!). Thanks for any and all advice :)

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Patience

Patience really is a virtue, and what can you possibly gain by losing your patience? Work on something else.

Odile

Registered
Reaction score
I know this feeling, I didn't even get a reply at all yet and sent an e-mail form 1 month ago (longer). I have no clue wether the agent recieved it at all. I haven't had any reaction. I read in some online database (which one was it) from the market section that there is a list of publisher / agents that shows how many days before other authors got a rejection or approval. I think it is good to look at this kind of lists for you, it helped me. Also there is somewhere a funny story about slushpiles and you might want to read the blog of miss snarks too. But she's an agent. Is there really that much difference in the manuscript handling?

I'm keeping a blog now, there's a link to miss snark's blog on it. It's in the list, my first post, about at the end.
http://schmiodile.blogspot.com

Last edited:

aarthurco

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.snappywriting.com
Odile said:
I know this feeling, I didn't even get a reply at all yet and sent an e-mail form 1 month ago (longer). I have no clue wether the agent recieved it at all. I haven't had any reaction. I read in some online database (which one was it) from the market section that there is a list of publisher / agents that shows how many days before other authors got a rejection or approval. I think it is good to look at this kind of lists for you, it helped me. Also there is somewhere a funny story about slushpiles and you might want to read the blog of miss snarks too. But she's an agent. Is there really that much difference in the manuscript handling?

I'm keeping a blog now, there's a link to miss snark's blog on it. It's in the list, my first post, about at the end.
http://schmiodile.blogspot.com

Thanks so much! I DO keep very busy with commercial writing projects, but it is so hard to be patient when you are so in love with your book. I will check out your links, thank you for thinking of me :)

MOON GODDESS

Registered
Reaction score
Don't feel bad. I sent out 5 articles and haven't heard from 4 of them in over a month now, so I'm not holding out much hope. The 5th one was rejected.
I don't know if it would be wrong to contact the editors again soon. I think as long as you are not bugging them all the time, what harm could it be to touch base with them after 3 months? Of course, I've never submitted a full manuscript that I had to wait on, so maybe someone else here, knows the protocol.

Status
Not open for further replies.