PDA

View Full Version : Warning: Pet Publishing not paying their writers

awatkins
12-15-2006, 04:35 AM
Hello Writers,

Anybody write for Pet Publishing (http://www.petpublishing.com/)?

I know we've discussed this company in the past, and some of us have written for their various publications. Dog & Kennel, Cats & Kittens, and Bird Times are their beautiful full-color magazines. Each one is filled with gorgeous photography and lots of advertisements from many, many companies in the pet industry. And unfortunately, it now appears that quite a few freelancers with articles in these pubs are not being paid.

I've been trying unsuccessfully since June to collect payment for an article I wrote for them (and have since respectfully declined to send back the contract for another article they accepted). At least I did get the author's copies of the published piece but that's little consolation. I prefer cash in exchange for my work.

My e-mails and telephone calls have gone unanswered, though I did speak with the executive editor and she told me that I'm not the only freelancer who hasn't been paid. Has anyone else here had the same experience with this company? Once I recommended them--now I am encouraging everyone to submit your work elsewhere. Your writing is valuable and you deserve to be fairly compensated for it.

oarsman
12-15-2006, 07:35 AM
That's terrible Anne. I did a search and found a post on another forum from a writer that hasn't been paid by them. Thanks for the warning!

awatkins
12-15-2006, 06:51 PM
Oarsman, you're right, it is terrible. I hope all the writers (me included!) get paid but I'll be surprised if that happens. I'll post any updates as soon as I know something. Not going to hold my breath until then, though!