I'm everywhere

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Okay so I'm not going to be replacing Brangelina any time soon, but I discovered last night as I was googling myself (yes I do it, I'm sure many of you do too), that my american publishers have announced my existence. I didn't want to say anything without my agent's permission, so I've been pre-empted.

But here's the news:

The Weinstein Company have bought two of my books. They used to be the brothers who ran Miramax, but now they've developed their own business, both film and book publishing. My book will be in their first list Fall 2007 with a dozen or so other titles. It is extremely exciting, and I really can't believe this is my life. Anyway, they obviously sent out a press release to various online outlets. Here are my two favourites:

Empire Online: www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=20124
- this one because they are just so cynical! It's so funny. Also because I am a huge fan of their magazine and check their website regularly. It's an honour.

And AWN, who have the nicest and most accurate article about me and my book: http://news.awn.com/index.php?ltype=top&newsitem_no=18661

Being Canadian I always get an icky feeling promoting myself, but I just HAD to post about this because it is hilarious, insane, and really fun. And this is the good news thread, so you know, it's nice to have good news now and then!

Okay. I'm going now. To laugh hysterically a bit more.

Last edited:

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
Get outta here! This is-- this is-- HUGE. Thanks so much for sharing it with us. It's brightening my day and I'm not even you. ;) You realize, of course, that we want details. Lots and lots of details.

WackAMole

WTF?!?!
Registered
Reaction score
Wow! This sounds like a book for my thirteen year old! She loves pirates and loved em long before the movies.

Congrats on your success and ya..keep us posted!

Toothpaste

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Aw thanks guys! I always worry about 'bragging' (in grade 8 all my friends dumped me because they said I did it too much and I've been scarred ever since). But it's pretty darn exciting, and soooooooo funny!

Jenna what kind of details would you like? (and by the way how super honoured am I that you replied to my post! You are like a celebrity to me on here :) )

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Many, many details. And autographs.

Congratulations!

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, your favorite color AND jello flavor.

And Congratulations :)

jdkiggins

Troubled-Talks with animals.
Registered
Reaction score
The "Dead Zone" in PA. (The state.) All lit up and
Website
home.comcast.net
Adrienne, this is wonderful news. Congratulations! Alex and the Ironic Gentleman sounds like it will be a hit. I certainly understand your excitement with being picked up by Weinstien Books. They’re requesting sequels as well. You have every reason to be proud.

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
How totally fantastic!!! Much much success to you!

alanna

Registered
Reaction score
... gotta say it... I want to read it now! seriously, ya fantasy is my favorite genre, and i WANT... puh-LEASE post a message on the board when it's released, so I won't forget? :) this is amazing. contratulations!

(p.s.- as for those people in 8th grade...phsaw. they weren't your fellow writers, so their comments are beneath you. bragging is what this board is for... indulge.)

piscesgirl80

Friendly Neighborhood Fish
Registered
Reaction score
Toothpaste said:
The Weinstein Company have bought two of my books. They used to be the brothers who ran Miramax, but now they've developed their own business, both film and book publishing. My book will be in their first list Fall 2007 with half a dozen or so other titles. It is extremely exciting, and I really can't believe this is my life.

This is fantastic! Woohoos all around!:e2woo::e2woo::e2woo::e2woo:
I'm so thrilled for and proud of and happy for you. :e2cloud9: Don't forget us all when you're rich and famous!:e2crown:

Toothpaste

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Details:

My favourite colour is burgandy I suppose.

Alanna, I wouldn't get too excited. First off it's MG. And second it's more magical realism than fantasy really. More A Series of Unfortunate Events than Harry Potter (not that Harry isn't fabulous). However there are pirates. And who doesn't enjoy that. And before people tell me I am jumping on the bandwagon I have loved Pirates ever since my parents took me to see Pirates of Penzance when I was like 8.

The book itself is very Alice in Wonderland. More about the people my MC meets along the way than the story itself. Part satire, making fun of the adult world. It's around 83 000 words after the latest edit, which I just finished Monday.

The Weinstein deal was insane. I was in the middle of doing a run of Macbeth, and the show had just finished and I checked my voice mail. My agent, calling from UK (cause that's where I was when I got my agent) had left a message to call her back. So I did and she told me the news. That there had been a four way auction for my book, and the Weinsteins were currently on top. That Harvey himself called my agent to express his interest in the book (she called it the highlight of her career so far). And well I took a weekend to think it over. And then said yes of course. It was all so crazy. But still, the craziest bit was suddenly finding me all over the net.

Um . . . any other details I may have missed?

Thanks guys as always for the support. It's nice when nice things happen!

wyntermoon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
threeseasagency.com
Holy Smokes!!! That's incredible!!! WHOO HOOO!!

I can't wait to buy this for my daughters, we need a release party! Congratulations!

Jenny

Who should be writing ...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Awesome!!! Wow! CONGRATULATIONS!!! [Who said Macbeth was bad luck?]

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
Toothpaste said:
That there had been a four way auction for my book, and the Weinsteins were currently on top. That Harvey himself called my agent to express his interest in the book (she called it the highlight of her career so far).

That. Is. The. COOLEST!!

Um . . . any other details I may have missed?

Yes, many. :D Let the interrogation begin! Okay, here are things I want to know...

-Was this the first manuscript you wrote?

-What was your writing process like?

-Tell us more about the process of getting to the sale. So you wrote this manuscript, then began sending queries to agents in the UK? How did it go? (Did you query lots of agents? Did the one you chose say yes right away?)

-How long did it take the agent to sell it?

-Did she expect that there would be an auction?

-HOW FREAKIN' EXCITED ARE YOU?! This is such a thrill. Please don't think for one second that it's considered "bragging" around here to share good news. I think it inspires most of us a lot.

Actually, I had a "first sale stories" thread going on in Novels a while back... I'll have to find it and resurrect it so we can add yours. :)