Not open for further replies.

mdin

The late, the great XThe NavigatorX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mattdinniman.com
Read this.

Columnist writes a critical article of Mr. Crichton, Mr. Crichton responds by making him a child-raping character in his newest novel.

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
wowwww... i mean, it's not even done cleverly. Fuckin' eh Mike...

Bravo

Socialitest
Registered
Reaction score
His global warming "research" showed me how manipulative and downright ridiculous he was.

But this is a brand new low.

What scum.

Joe Unidos

Registered
Reaction score
I try not to piss him off just because he's like nine fvcking feet tall. He's a monster. A jackassy monster.

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
Yikes! That's hilarious, yet just a wee bit unprofessional.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
I love Michael Crichton, and I'm glad I'm not the only one who does this. Just this week I made Bartholomew a character in my current WIP. I have another script that stars Haskins, Blackheart, and many other messageboarders I know.

When A Beautiful Life beat Fellowship of the Ring for Best Picture, I named all the bad guys in my WIP at the time "Ron" "Howard" "Russell" "Crow" and "Nash"

Deleted member 42

Joe Unidos said:
I try not to piss him off just because he's like nine fvcking feet tall. He's a monster. A jackassy monster.

He was the next to the worst author/content creator I ever worked with. Only Barbara Streisand was a bigger idjit or more obnoxious and offensive.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
What did you have the opportunity to work with him on, Medieval. The only story I have of someone working with him is John Gregory Dunne's anecdote in Monster. That seems to paint him in a relatively decent light.

Deleted member 42

dclary said:
What did you have the opportunity to work with him on, Medieval.

Long long ago, when the world was new and Multimedia and E-books were being born, I worked at a company called Voyager. The first three e-books or "Expanded books" we did were Jurassic Park, Hitchhiker's Guide, Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking glass.

Crichton was a PITA. Total opposite of Douglas Adams who was totally awesome in every way.

My spouse worked at Voyager too and on the same products. Just not, you know, in the same group. Crichton thought it was funny to make jokes about me "sleeping with the boss," and asking if I "got lucky" at lunch, etc. Really stupid. It made him look like a dweeb.

Kate Thornton

Still Happy to be Here. Or Anywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.katethornton.net
Medievalist said:
Crichton was a PITA. Total opposite of Douglas Adams who was totally awesome in every way.

Douglas Adams - whom I met briefly once - was a real gentleman and I treausure the meeting.

Crichton sounds petty.

Peggy

Registered
Reaction score
Website
thoughtsontheroad.blogspot.com
Medievalist said:
He was the next to the worst author/content creator I ever worked with. Only Barbara Streisand was a bigger idjit or more obnoxious and offensive.
That's not surprising. I read his memoir "Travels" and what I came away with was that he is a self-centered @ss. Also, for all his supposed "expertise" in science, he is really into psychic encounters, auras, and other new-agey phenomena. And that's what is so [SIZE=-1]ridiculous - the critic who was so transparently written into his new novel wrote an article that criticised his scientifically inaccurate denial of global warming. Apparently his opinion on the subject matters, because a senator called him to testify on climate change at a congressional hearing.
[/SIZE]

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think it makes Crichton look petty and childish.
I agree. And to use that particular subject matter ... yuck. If you want to take a stab at somebody you feel 'done you wrong', at least be a little clever about it.

Like many of those posting at that link, I too may never read another Crichton novel even though I've enjoyed quite a few in the past.

Opty

Banned
Reaction score
Medievalist said:
Crichton was a PITA.

So, what you're saying is...I have no idea.

What's a PITA?

eta: Ah ha! Okay, Lloyd told me. Thanks, Lloyd.

Last edited:

Deleted member 42

DrSpork said:
So, what you're saying is...I have no idea.

What's a PITA?

Kind of funny you asking that. With you being an academic you probably don't hear much slang. PITA means Pain In The Ass.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
whistlelock said:
And, as I recall, contains a stunning lack of me. But then I feel any script can be improved by adding me to it.
You are the bad guy in the sequel, Whistle.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
Medievalist said:
Kind of funny you asking that. With you being an academic you probably don't hear much slang. PITA means Pain In The Ass.

I hear what you're saying. What makes it even more remarkable is how much of a PITA Spork is... You'd think he'd heard it at least once self-referentially.

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I'm amused. I wish I could've met Douglass Adams. He seems so cool.

Deleted member 42

WildScribe said:
I'm amused. I wish I could've met Douglass Adams. He seems so cool.

He was a mensch. The dude was intelligent but caring, not an intellectual snob. He was amused and interested and excited by life. We spent like an hour playing with high powered speakers at a trade show table to see if we could make soda in a cup overflow by screwing with the speakers' bass setting.

English Dave

Registered
Reaction score
Medievalist said:
He was a mensch. The dude was intelligent but caring, not an intellectual snob. He was amused and interested and excited by life. We spent like an hour playing with high powered speakers at a trade show table to see if we could make soda in a cup overflow by screwing with the speakers' bass setting.

You know what the difference is? A real mensch would only have spent 45 minutes doing that.

Status
Not open for further replies.