Senator Johnson Suffers Stroke (D-SD)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16199440/

He's undergoing surgery, and there are some reports it wasn't a stroke. Either way, it's possible he could recover fully: I had a close coworker suffer a non-stroke in front of me, but the symptoms were all there.

My sympathy is with his family, and hope for his full recovery.

The political ramifications are obvious, but the guy isn't dead. Let's be sensitive.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
A) Why not include this in Billy's "Get Well Soon Senator Thompson Thread?"

B) He was treated almost immediately after suffering the first symptoms, and given the fact that this was most likely a major stroke AND the fact that early treatment of strokes can greatly improve recovery, he stands a fantastic chance of recovering.

C) FUCK YOU to the NBC news correspondent who yesterday said that Republicans were hoping that was ok, but that if he wasn't, that he'd just up and die so they wouldn't have to fight for his seat in court. Most unbelievable, audacious piece of audio I've heard in like forever.

Reaction score
dclary said:
C) FUCK YOU to the NBC news correspondent who yesterday said that Republicans were hoping that was ok, but that if he wasn't, that he'd just up and die so they wouldn't have to fight for his seat in court. Most unbelievable, audacious piece of audio I've heard in like forever.

Are you kidding me?

Let's file a class action lawsuit for slander.

That's just unbelievable.

Which correspondent? Where?

Disgusting.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
I've been trying to find a link to it all day. If I can, I will.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Today's news is it wasn't a stroke, but a congenital malformation of a section of blood vessels in the brain, one of which ruptured, and fortunately for Johnson, was caught early. ESPN's baseball analyst Peter Gammons had the same thing happen last spring, went through a similar procedure, and was back in the booth by late summer, doing fine. But the surgery that's involved ain't minor, and it will probably be three or four weeks before Johnson's prognosis is clear.

caw

Joe Unidos

Registered
Reaction score
Clearly, Cheney Litvinenko'd the poor guy. I demand an inquiry!

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
Joe Unidos said:
Clearly, Cheney Litvinenko'd the poor guy. I demand an inquiry!

humorously enough, the tinfoil hats at DU were such that the mods had to issue a prohibition against threads suggesting that it was an attempt by repubs to off him.

funny stuff.

TheGaffer

Docking Bay 94
Registered
Reaction score
That Litvidenko story is one of the best of the year. It's as if the Russians looked at all the Iraqis killing people with power drills and said, "Guys, this is how it's done. This is what makes spy novelists' day. Watch and learn."

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
It is AVM. I don't know much about the disease other than watching Nate Fisher suffered from it in Six Feet Under. Apparently it's a birth defect, and it's almost impossible to detect unless the patient develop seizures or strokes. The Senate also does not have a history of forcing a senator to give up his or her seat, unless the senator dies, of course; I just can't believe this has turned to politics. Then again, I am not surprised.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
I must say I commend the rest of the Senate and House members for admirable restraint and what I take as genuine concern over Johnson's ailment. There is, despite everything, a certain collegiality still present in those bodies. Of course, for any Republican to have said anything even faintly aromatic of political spin would have been major self-destructive, so I'm glad to see none of them have risen to that bait.

Tim Johnson's term is up in 2008. I can't see any way, short of him dying, that he would give up that seat, even if he can't really participate in Senate doings. South Dakota Senator Karl Mundt, a Republican, was incapacitated by a stroke (I think that was it) early into his term in 1968 or thereabouts, and continued in office without ever showing up in the Senate until he died in 1973, and there have been other such happenings in our history, so there is precedent.

caw

tourdeforce

Banned
Reaction score
dclary said:
Most unbelievable, audacious piece of audio I've heard in like forever.

I guess you missed the million or so times when it was suggested that Dems are hoping for failure in Iraq just to make Bush look bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.