Probably a strange question, but...

Sean D. Schaffer

Registered
Reaction score
I've noticed several people on this forum, when referring to the Almighty, will write 'G-d'. I was just curious why this is. I've heard some people mention that the Name of the Almighty is so holy it isn't spoken, but I was of the understanding that 'G-d' was not His Name.

This is just a question; I'm not trying to start something major here. I just want to understand why this is done.

Thank you all kindly in advance for your answers.

:)

smiley10000

What do we do? We write...
Registered
Reaction score
As one of those that does this, I'll take a stab at answering you.

The name of G-d is considered holy. There is a concept in Judaism of "Shaimas". This is papers that have the name of G-d (and many people extend it to any verse directly quoted from the Torah) written on them. These papers cannot be disposed of by throwing out or burning.

For this reason, Jews do not write the name of G-d on paper they use the fifth letter of the Hebrew alphabet "Hay" or other substitutions to represent it.

Whether this holiness translates into other languages is questionable. Therefore, many Jews will make an effort to not write G-d's name even in English.

HTH,
:)10000

Sean D. Schaffer

Registered
Reaction score
smiley10000 said:
As one of those that does this, I'll take a stab at answering you.

The name of G-d is considered holy. There is a concept in Judaism of "Shaimas". This is papers that have the name of G-d (and many people extend it to any verse directly quoted from the Torah) written on them. These papers cannot be disposed of by throwing out or burning.

For this reason, Jews do not write the name of G-d on paper they use the fifth letter of the Hebrew alphabet "Hay" or other substitutions to represent it.

Whether this holiness translates into other languages is questionable. Therefore, many Jews will make an effort to not write G-d's name even in English.

HTH,
:)10000

Thank you, Smiley. I appreciate your explaining that to me. I had seen it before but didn't know why. I had a hunch but now I have some facts to back that hunch up. Since the Name of G-d is that holy, then I will make an effort also to write it out as G-d. I love Him too much to want Him angry with me, and this could be one of the reasons I don't feel like I am right with Him as of late.

Thanks again.

Meerkat

Claims the loan was a gift
Registered
Reaction score
"site, place, position" --Roget's Thesaurus
Interesting thread... Perhaps He won't be judging you based on what names you call Him, but rather on what names you call others in this current realm...

And I'm sure you'll be in good standing on both counts!

Last edited: