When did you know your boyfriend was in love with you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dippykitty

Surviving... just!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sally-aquire.co.uk
I'm writing an article on when women first knew that their boyfriends were in love with them?

I need short (just a line or two) quotes / anecdotes in the following categories:

He complimented you frequently

He does't complain when you spend hours getting ready

I only need anecdotes in the above categories, otherwise I won't be able to use it.

Please give you first name and occupation along with your anecdote, and please begin anecdotes with, "I knew my boyfriend was in love with me when/ because (delete as applicable) he .... ".

You can either PM me, email me via AW or post in the thread. Either way is fine with me.

Last edited:

Tish Davidson

Registered
Reaction score
When he called me up in the middle of the night to tell me his hamster had died. I wrote a story about it that was published in Cup of Comfort for Women in Love.

Evaine

Registered
Reaction score
Website
lifeinhay.blogspot.com
I first met my boyfriend over a weekend at a friend's house, where our re-enactment group were having the annual Christmas banquet. He had come along to see what it was all about and whether he might like to join.

So we were put together to prepare Brussels sprouts for the meal (a very DIY banquet, this), and we talked - and we talked - and we prepared every single sprout in the sack....

But when I really knew he loved me was the following evening, when he put his hand on my knee - and later on apologised for being too forward!

dippykitty

Surviving... just!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sally-aquire.co.uk
Thanks for the responses so far - they're just what I was looking for. :D Keep them coming :D

I've edited the original post to reflect the categories that I still really need anecdotes for.

Last edited:

Tricksie-ish

Registered
Reaction score
I knew my boyfriend (now husband of 26 years) was in love with me when I was recovering from surgery and he visited me in the hospital. He was "just a friend" at the time. My mom was there, and after he left, she said, "He is in love with you." Moms are never wrong!

Cat Scratch

The Peacock Next Door
Registered
Reaction score
Do men only compliment and stop complaining when they're in love? Before that they're complete jerks?

Scarlett_156

asdf
Registered
Reaction score
"Love" for men tends to be stuttering, but strong when it's there, like a brilliantly-colored bird that visits your balcony every few days but you never know exactly when it will show up. They say it more than they mean it, that's a survival tactic for them. I lived with a man for 12 years until 2000-- the last boyfriend I broke up with a few months ago I was with for almost 7 years-- current boyfriend I've known for 2 years. It's not what they say, it's the tone of voice they use when they ask you what you want for breakfast or when they thank you for doing something nice for them. You really have to listen and read the expression, otherwise you'll miss it.

I hope this was helpful!

Scrawler

Bored fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
"I knew my boyfriend was in love with me when he said I think I'm falling in love with you" Mimssa, writer
(I married him)

bylinebree

Still Seeking the Dream
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.breedavison.wordpress.com
It was a joke at our house about how long my dates would have to wait for me, the eternally late "baby of the family", to finally appear. But he never complained or joked about my lateness, but sat in the living room and talked to my mother for as long as it took.

I didn't suspect a thing until my best friend pointed out that I was in love, and we spent a whole night arguing about it. Her points:
We didn't date anyone else, and it had been over six months.
We were happy together and didn't talk about anyone else in a romantic sense, but for each other.

She won the debate. I decided I probably did love him. Just before leaving for college in another state, I told him so. He was very quiet afterwards.

So I didn't really know HE loved ME until he wrote me a letter and said so, underlining those three sweet words.

That was thirty years ago...

So see -- it does and can happen. May it happen to you, too, truelyana!

WishWords

Registered
Reaction score
I knew my boyfriend was in love with me when he gave up drinking because I said I enjoyed his company more when he is sober. Linda, secretary

Status
Not open for further replies.