• Read this: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?288931-Guidelines-for-Participation-in-Outwitting-Writer-s-Block

before you post.

Is there ever a time when Writer's Block is justified?

Status
Not open for further replies.

janetbellinger

Registered
Reaction score
Is there ever a time when Writer's Block is justified, such as when you've been getting rejected for fifteen years and one day it just doesn't seem right to keep on writing? Does it make sense to keep writing under these circumstances or should a person just pack it in and go work out or something?

Last edited:

TwentyFour

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I had writers block for four years...all because I decided to go to college and then chased boys...what a waste :)

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
I had self-imposed writer's block for about 7 years. I just gave up because certain things in my life seemed to be getting in the way. As it turned out, I was just letting them get in the way. I needed to come up with a schedule.

You just need to set priorities. How important is writing to you?

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
That's not writer's block. That's quitting.

Big difference. "Winners never quit, and quitters never win. But those who never quit AND never win are idiots." Demotivational poster of the day.

I block when I'm angry. I know I should just take it out on some poor fictional ba**ard, but what did they ever do to me?

Go work out. Run until you can barely breathe. If you still feel like quitting then, you have my permission. Get some oxygen in that brain before making decisions.

J.S Greer

Feel the power!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Siddow said:
That's not writer's block. That's quitting.

Exactamundo.

Writers block is when you want to write, but the words wont come. You try, but putting a coherent thought together seems impossible.

Getting rejected for years then saying "Why bother" is quitting.

You should write because you love it. If being published is your only justification for carrying on, then writing isnt for you.

Judg

DISENCHANTED coming soon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
janetursel.com
You have to set your own priorities. Sometimes quitting is an intelligent thing to do. Look at it this way, at the end of your life, if you've never been published, would you look back and say "I wish I had done X instead of spending that time writing?" If the answer is yes, maybe you should consider doing X. But there are a lot of things that need to be weighed here and it can't be reduced to a simple formula.

If being published is important to you - and I, for one, do not find that crass at all - then maybe you should try to figure out why you are getting rejected and see if it's fixable. Has your work ever been critiqued?

Zolah

Over the hills and far away
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.zoemarriott.com
Writer's Block doesn't HAVE to justify itself. It just comes and whacks you across the head with the SandBag of Fate and it's up to you to pick yourself up and sit back in the chair (if you don't need hospital treatment first).

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
J.S Greer said:
Writers block is when you want to write, but the words wont come. You try, but putting a coherent thought together seems impossible.

But the latter might cause the former, which is how I interpreted the OP.

Akuma

Rare Writer Pokemon
Registered
Reaction score
I'd say a Writer's Block is justified when you have to go save the world.

Eh....

"Let me just write one more paragraph and then I'll get on it..."

janetbellinger

Registered
Reaction score
J.S Greer said:
Exactamundo.

You should write because you love it. If being published is your only justification for carrying on, then writing isnt for you.

Being published isn't my only justification for carrying on, but after fifteen years I have passed the point of just writing for the sheer joy of it and crave some sort of acknowledgement from the writing world that I do after all have a shred of talent, something to offer. I don't want to go around with my head in the sand, continuing to write and reassuring myself that it's all "their" fault I'm not published, that the world is just unable to recogninze my genius, lol. I know som peoplw will say you have to believe in yourself but I have moved past that point. I need some affirmation from the writing world or at least from God or Jupiter or something that I am not wasting my time. Judg, you have a point. I don't want to spend the rest of my life struggling with scenes that nobody will ever read. What's the point? I'd rather do something where I can feel effective. I hate feeling ineffective. That's why I don't like substitute teaching. I never feel like I've done a good job or an important one. So I have two careers which have the potential to be fulfilling but are not. I could be travelling, learning a new language, taking up pottery or R aek Won Do, or anything. At least I could feel myself improving at those things.
'txa9o

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Janet is writing your passion?
If so a few little tricks may help overcome this...
Change of scene...Little things...go outside on a nice day and try writing.
Change your computer area...spice it up, by simple cheap decor'. Or make it a serene place...
Go to the bookstore often...
Take frequent breaks in between writing and exercise to stimulate your mind...

kimmi

Simon Woodhouse

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.simonwoodhouse.com
Is being published the only reason people write? I'd hope not – there's got to be more to it than that. If you enjoy writing, does it matter if you're published or not? Being published is not a reflection on the quality of your writing. If it were, there'd be no such thing as crappy books.

janetbellinger

Registered
Reaction score
Simon Woodhouse said:
Is being published the only reason people write? I'd hope not – there's got to be more to it than that. If you enjoy writing, does it matter if you're published or not? Being published is not a reflection on the quality of your writing. If it were, there'd be no such thing as crappy books.

Simon, being published isn't the only reason people write, but you have to admit it gets discouraging to keep changing your novel after five years of working on it, and getting absolutely no encouragement. Nobody likes banging their head against a brick wall. We all need recognition in our chosen career. If nobody ever reads your book what is the point of writing it?

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
Writer's block happens to me when I'm going in the wrong direction and don't realize it.

Push out in a new writing direction. Write something you wouldn't normally write. Something wonderful might come out of it. Experiment with short stories, or maybe some poetry. Stretch yourself.

But don't give up something you love.

PeeDee

Where's my tea, please...?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
When I stop writing, it's because there's an intelligent little voice in the back of my head which is saying "Hang on. Something stinks."

It means I'm doing the scene wrong, or I've started it too soon or too late, or I'm going down the wrong path, or the character is in the wrong place, or something like that.

It's my sub-conscious telling me that something is not jiving. Generally, I'm blocked on that project until I figure out the problem, and then I rush happily onward.

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
janetbellinger said:
S you have to admit it gets discouraging to keep changing your novel after five years of working on it,

Maybe it's time to set that one aside and write something else. You'll be able to put everything you've learned towards something new.

JeanneTGC

I *am* Catwoman...and Gini Koch
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ginikoch.com
PeeDee said:
When I stop writing, it's because there's an intelligent little voice in the back of my head which is saying "Hang on. Something stinks."

It means I'm doing the scene wrong, or I've started it too soon or too late, or I'm going down the wrong path, or the character is in the wrong place, or something like that.

It's my sub-conscious telling me that something is not jiving. Generally, I'm blocked on that project until I figure out the problem, and then I rush happily onward.

Wow, Pete and I "block" alike! Ditto for me on all that Pete said...and also ditto for the idea of working on something else. WIP #1 may not be the "one" to get you going. So work on others. I have many. MANY. The more output you have, the more chances you have to "hit".

If you've only worked on one book all this time, for sure branch out and try new things -- different genres, different lengths, different voices. If you have plenty, then pick up an older one and see how it reads now; fix it up if it needs it and if it doesn't, send it out. And on and on. It's very hard to push past the rejection, but some of us just have to persevere longer than others. (I was originally hoping to be in the fast group, but I guess I get to be in the "good example of perseverance" group instead. Happy, happy, joy, joy.)

I would still write even if no one else wanted to read anything I wrote, but I am with you in that there is a point where you want someone else to read your stuff and give you some form of validation. Maybe a critique partner, even just a sample over at the SYW forum? If you're already past that, then just keep on keeping on. Maybe that "YES!" is in the next query you send out.

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
Honestly? Look...

If I couldn't publish anything that I wrote...

....I would take a type writer and I would go sit in the mall. I would write short stories, hunched over it, and I would take each page and tape them up on the wall.

I would do this as people read them, and I would do this as people didn't read them. I would eventually get kicked out, and then I would come back the next day, and I would do it again.

It's just who I am. I need to read, I need to write, I need to tell people stories. It's how I'm built.

Simon Woodhouse

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.simonwoodhouse.com
janetbellinger said:
Simon, being published isn't the only reason people write, but you have to admit it gets discouraging to keep changing your novel after five years of working on it, and getting absolutely no encouragement. Nobody likes banging their head against a brick wall. We all need recognition in our chosen career. If nobody ever reads your book what is the point of writing it?

I know what you're saying. But first and foremost, what I write, I write for me. When I'm at that stage where I'm thrashing out the idea for my next project, one of the most important questions I keep asking myself is 'will I like writing this?' This comes way before 'will anyone like reading it?' If I'm not interested in, or happy with, the basic premise, writing the book will be torture. In fact, I think most writer's block comes from the writer not really taking enough time to consider the project, before they put pen to paper.

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
PeeDee said:

I have the same thing happen. In my case it's usually The Whole Thing.

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Janet,

How many books have you written?

I have completed five, have several partials that have hit blocks because my writing was improving faster than I could finish them and they need to be seriously revised before I can continue.

The reason why I ask is because it sounds like you are focussed too much on one or two projects.

After completing five books and editing them and such my writing has grown more than I can express and it keeps growing. Had I stuck with the first one or two books and kept revising rather than submitting and keep writing, I wouldn't be nearly as far along in my writing as I am now.

My suggestion is if you wish to keep writing, start a new book, like now. Get it finished, then start another one. Get the new one edited while finishing up the second and let it sit and start on the third. Don't let large chunks of pause between writing books just because one needs editing.

Anyway, good luck in your decision making and if you haven't passed the one million words of crap (I have woohoo!) I strongly suggest working towards that because you wouldn't believe what a difference it makes in your writing after that.

It doesn't mean you have to write 1 million words before your work becomes publishable, but it really is a good goal to work on and it does help.

Sara

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
icerose said:
I have completed five, have several partials that have hit blocks because my writing was improving faster than I could finish them and they need to be seriously revised before I can continue.

I'm glad that I'm not the only one this has happened to. I had a year or so there where I produced nothing useful, though I produced a great deal of stuff, just because I was growing in leaps and bounds. It was like being a kid growing too fast for his jeans.

Status
Not open for further replies.