Not open for further replies.

Bird of Prey

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
http://sg.news.yahoo.com/061213/1/45g0a.html

US mulling Darfur no-fly zone at urging of Blair

The United States and Britain are considering the imposition of a no-fly zone over Sudan's war-torn Darfur region if the Khartoum government does not allow a UN-led peacekeeping force into the area, the State Department said.
Blair raised the no-fly zone option during a meeting here last week with US President George W. Bush and amid growing frustration with Sudan's refusal to comply with past agreements on the peacekeepers' deployment, department spokesman Sean McCormack said.
"Prime Minister Blair talked about it as an idea," McCormack said of the no-fly zone, which would aim to halt the use of Sudanese government planes and helicopters to support attacks on civilians in Darfur.
He said Bush was very concerned about a resurgence of violence in the vast western Sudanese region, where more than 200,000 people have been killed and 2.5 million displaced during nearly four years of fighting between ethnic African rebels and militia allied to the Arab-led government in Khartoum.
"The president is going to consider what options he thinks are necessary in order to address the grave situation there," McCormack said, adding that the move to consider tougher measures was motivated by a "lack of forward movement on the diplomacy right now combined with an uptick in violence" in Darfur.
The Financial Times reported earlier Wednesday that Blair had urged the United States to take coercive steps against Khartoum and that options under consideration by the Bush administration included air strikes and a naval blockade. . . .

Last edited:

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
Do they have planes in Darfur? I mean, is that the source of the massive genocide? Air raids? This seems awful... stupid to me, and I'm kind of an expert on stupid.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
If I know my Arnold Schwarzenegger, and believe me, I do, the word you're looking for is "CHOPPA!"

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
This strikes me as cosmetic nonsense. The problem there is entirely on the ground, with these janjaweed raiders often riding horses, more like Mongol hordes than modern military troops. And they're pillaging people who are utterly defenseless. How is a No-Fly Zone going to do anything about that?

caw

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
By keeping combat aircraft away? By keeping troop transport aircraft away?

When has a no-fly zone ever been an answer? By itself, never. Still, it can have an effect. Why are you guys so mad about it?

Reaction score
robeiae said:
Why are you guys so mad about it?

I'm mad that there aren't thousands and thousands of boots on the ground and that this Khartoum hump is still breathing.

As far as the no-fly zone.

Sure..why not.

But let's end the killing.

Now.

But I think we can all breathe a sigh of relief on this news....

http://news.bostonherald.com/international/view.bg?articleid=171882

GENEVA - The U.N. Human Rights Council, under strong pressure to act against atrocities in Darfur, voted Wednesday to send a team of investigators to the war-torn region of western Sudan to report on civilian deaths, rapes, mass flight and destruction of villages.

However, the resolution stopped short of mentioning any role of the Sudanese government or the militias it is accused of supporting in attacks on civilians.

As always, well done, U.N.

:rolleyes:

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
It would be akin to Los Angeles enacting a "No Spear" zone in South Central to reduce gang violence. Sure not spearing is a good idea, but it's not really the problem.

If the UN is serious about stopping the genocide, then oughtn't they to declare a freakin' "No Genocide" zone?

Sheryl Nantus

Holding out for a Superhero...
Registered
Reaction score
Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second
Website
www.sherylnantus.com
blacbird said:
This strikes me as cosmetic nonsense. The problem there is entirely on the ground, with these janjaweed raiders often riding horses, more like Mongol hordes than modern military troops. And they're pillaging people who are utterly defenseless. How is a No-Fly Zone going to do anything about that?

caw

but everyone feels better...

*retching noise*

and the UN wonders why no one can take them seriously...

Reaction score
Sheryl Nantus said:
and the UN wonders why no one can take them seriously...

Don't worry, they're sending a bunch of humps down to take a look and file a report.

That's like sending a firefighter to a fire to see if there's a fire and then he drives back to the firehouse and reports "Yeah, there's a fire. I even heard some screams from inside. Maybe we should do something?"

"How big was the fire?"

"Pretty big."

"Well, file the paperwork and we'll think about maybe putting it out at some point."

"Will do."

Reaction score
Why don't we lob a bomb right into Khartoum's office like we did Qadafi?!

Kill the guy. Period.

Or at worst buzz the tower like in Top Gun.

SC Harrison

Dances With Hamsters
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
blacbird said:

caw

I read something that described the relationship between the Sudanese military and the raiders, such that: the Janjaweed probe the often meager defenses of a village or camp, then they ride away (seemingly in retreat), then the helicopters show up for a brief fly-by shooting or rocket attack, then the raiders come back, etc.

This is a civil war, and the Sudanese government is going to stall as long as possible to inflict the most amount of damage. A no-fly zone would (imo) put a serious crimp in the current scenario, but it won't stop the nightmare.

Status
Not open for further replies.