So close...yet so far

Status
Not open for further replies.

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yesterday I rcvd. a rejection, from an agent I had hoped to procure...
As far as rejections go it was nice...iie; no form.... but;

"I found the story quite moving and felt that you adeptly captured ydadyada ...with poignant writing-quite an accomplishment. I delayed my response to discuss this project at length with my colleages." Signed Agent

I feel I am close but I'm missing something that I haven't put my finger on.

It's like my photography...I know I've captured the essence, before it's even developed...you just feel it. Once I took two pics for an ad campaign contest; hubby said "where are we going for summer vacation; when are you going to reserve someplace?" I told him we were going to NYC that summer, twice and I couldn't plan anything else. Of course he laughed, until the phone rang twice that week, announcing our family would be going to NYC, two times in a three week period.

Could be the forgotten SASE or the misspelled words, but unlikely...I think.

It's right in front of me and I can't grasp it... I didn't paint my book with profound, flowery, million dollar words...purposely...I'm thinking perhaps I should add some...sigh, probably not as the book doesn't justify it...

The doors been opened, now invite me in...arghhhh

In the meantime, unless I find my mistake, I am wasting a lot of good agent's time...

kimmi's done ranting now....

aliajohnson

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alissa-johnson.com
I'm so sorry Kimmi. :Hug2: Sometimes, when something you want is so close you can brush with your fingertips, it's more frustrating than when it's a thousand miles away--where it can be ignored.

This wasn't your only full, right? Sounds like you sent this one via snail mail, and I know you sent one via email. Clearly, you've got enough talent and skill to generate interest. Don't assume you're doing something wrong. Could be just a matter of luck . . . which probably doesn't make you feel a whole lot better. Sorry, and hang in there. I'm rooting for you.

Also, rant away. It always makes me feel better.

SarahinOhio

In My Blue Period
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sarahhina.blogspot.com
That's a bummer, Kimmi. It sounds like you are close to snagging an agent, though. Did she offer any specific suggestions for improvement? If she thought your writing was poignant, I doubt she had a problem with your minimalist approach.

I, too, got a rejection for a full yesterday. It sucks, no matter how many pillowy compliments it's couched in. :cry:

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks jen, alia, sarah....and this too shall pass.

kimmi now kicking the door in

maddythemad

Registered
Reaction score
Better luck next time, Kimmi. :) My fingers are crossed for you.

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
aliajohnson said:
Atta Girl! (There's GOT to be a better phrase for that.)

Just keep it open a crack for the rest of us, if you would.
:D

you know it..I'm removing that door like hubby does to our teen's...
door...

No more doors, everyones welcome:D

aliajohnson

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alissa-johnson.com
blacbird said:
There is no "close". This is a quantum enterprise, it's either there, or it's not. It's there when it shows up in bookstores.

caw

Oh lovely, kick her while she's down. That's nice. I'm going to ask you to back away now. Slowly . . . slowly. Keep those hands up, pal.

Kimmi's been nothing but supportive in every post I've happened to see of hers. She deserves support, not cheap shots.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
No intent to kick anybody, just responding to my least favorite writing platitude (the one about each rejection getting you closer to acceptance). I've been "close" too many times to count, and have nothing to show for it. Every start-over feels like the first day in kindergarten: "Children, the letter that looks like a tent is an 'A' . . ." I stopped believing in "closes" some time ago.

caw

aliajohnson

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alissa-johnson.com
blacbird said:
No intent to kick anybody, just responding to my least favorite writing platitude (the one about each rejection getting you closer to acceptance). I've been "close" too many times to count, and have nothing to show for it. Every start-over feels like the first day in kindergarten: "Children, the letter that looks like a tent is an 'A' . . ." I stopped believing in "closes" some time ago.

caw

Belief-feeling-faith-hope. They don't, by definition, need to be proven. There's a difference, I think, between believing in near-misses and believing you are on the edge of something great. You're still submitting, right? Would you still, if you really thought you had no chance?

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
aliajohnson said:
Belief-feeling-faith-hope. They don't, by definition, need to be proven. There's a difference, I think, between believing in near-misses and believing you are on the edge of something great. You're still submitting, right? Would you still, if you really thought you had no chance?

Not since January or thereabouts. I've been concentrating on writing more, with some progress at that (probably not enough), but every time I look up "markets" I can't see any that fit anything I write. And "writing for a market" is simply something I cannot do. That's not a matter of arrogance; I greatly admire people who are able to do that. I just can't. I've tried, and the results are ghastly. Just tonight I roughed out 1500 words or so of an essay in the vein of popular science on the real significance of sand. That'll excite an editor, for sure.

So what I have is a mass of stuff, growing slowly, that has no discernible chance of seeing the light of day. Here we are at the end of another year, with no evidence of progress, and I'm damtired of "close".

caw

Last edited:

glassquill

RB's favourite chewtoy
Registered
Reaction score
Don't give up, Kimmi. Maybe what you're waiting for is just around the bend. The agent looked through your work, so that's a milestone. At least it is in my books.

Here's cheering on for your success. :e2cheer:

Flapdoodle

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.livejournal.com
blacbird said:

caw

I know how you feel. I've been shortlisted, reached final stages of selection, had a heap of "nice story, well written, try somewhere else, maybe these people," and I think I'd prefer just blank "Thanks, but no thanks" rejections sometimes!

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
:Hug2:

You'll get there, Kimmi, I know it. All it takes is one.

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
blacbird said:
Just tonight I roughed out 1500 words or so of an essay in the vein of popular science on the real significance of sand. That'll excite an editor, for sure.
Hey, blacbird - just saw this and was reminded of a book my FIL gave my SIL a Christmas or two ago: The Secret Life of Dust. I haven't read it myself - yet - but your comment reminded me of this one. My SIL, an atmospheric scientist, enjoyed it. Maybe looking into it will give you ideas where to go with your work?

You and kimmi -- we're with you both.

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
blacbird said:
Not since January or thereabouts. I've been concentrating on writing more, with some progress at that (probably not enough), but every time I look up "markets" I can't see any that fit anything I write. And "writing for a market" is simply something I cannot do. That's not a matter of arrogance; I greatly admire people who are able to do that. I just can't. I've tried, and the results are ghastly. Just tonight I roughed out 1500 words or so of an essay in the vein of popular science on the real significance of sand. That'll excite an editor, for sure.

So what I have is a mass of stuff, growing slowly, that has no discernible chance of seeing the light of day. Here we are at the end of another year, with no evidence of progress, and I'm damtired of "close".

caw

s'ok alia, thanks

blacbird,

Don't give up...there is a home for your book.
I think we all feel a little bit down about rejections, and myself I tend to beat myself up, then go on with it. Stay positive and true to yourself...I know I am close, but I have not figured out what I need to do to get past it...but I'm not giving up...another year..yup...another chance! don't you give up!
kimmi

SarahinOhio

In My Blue Period
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sarahhina.blogspot.com
blacbird said:
There is no "close". This is a quantum enterprise, it's either there, or it's not. It's there when it shows up in bookstores.

I wasn't attempting to offer empty platitudes. You're right, of course, about securing an agent being all or nothing. But kimmi mentioned a number of things that led me to believe that this particular agent was really on the fence about her work.

Maybe the next one will need just the tiniest nudge in the other direction. I certainly hope so.

Pisarz

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharppenediting.com
Sorry to hear about the rejection, kimmi. Here's hoping that you have a long list of agents yet to query and that one of them swoons when they read your MS.

And blacbird, I must say, I'm often in agreement with the spirit of your posts and this thread is no exception. Hang in there and know that you aren't alone. All of us "regulars" on this thread are swimming in uncertainty.

Every day I wonder, have I reached the end of the agent rope? Have I gotten my last request for material (and subsequent rejection), or will there be more? I've said it before and I'll say it again: it's not the rejection, it's the uncertainty that gets me.

Thank goodness for Rejection and Dejection, the safehouse for the unpublished!

aliajohnson

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alissa-johnson.com
blacbird said:

caw

I'm so sorry Blacbird. That's disheartening, but please don't give up hope--how do you know your essay on sand won't excite a magazine editor? Popular science magazines are . . . popular (it's early, only one cup of coffee in me). Dorks like me love reading stories like that, that's why we subscribe..

Additional--I think I misread your frustration as meanness in your original post. I apologize for that.

Freckles

Oooh, the Rainbow Connection
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that, Kimmi. It's tough when it comes from one you've been hoping for. Best of luck to you on your next submission!

janetbellinger

Registered
Reaction score
I know what you mean Blackbird. And I know you were being empathetic to Kimmi. At some point a rejection simply becomes another rejection. What type of fiction does this agent prefer? Perhaps what you submitted wasnt' quite the type of story she was looking for. At least that's what I tell myself when I get rejections or worse still, not even an answer at all from agents.
I don't suppose you'd feel comfortable in contacting the agent, asking where your story fell short of her expectations, and offering to rewrite for her?

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
janetbellinger said:
I know what you mean Blackbird. And I know you were being empathetic to Kimmi. At some point a rejection simply becomes another rejection. What type of fiction does this agent prefer? Perhaps what you submitted wasnt' quite the type of story she was looking for. At least that's what I tell myself when I get rejections or worse still, not even an answer at all from agents.
I don't suppose you'd feel comfortable in contacting the agent, asking where your story fell short of her expectations, and offering to rewrite for her?

Hello Janet,
Naww on contacting her and questioning her reply...but!.. I have no qualms about tightening it up and sneaking it in her back door next year!;)
uhmm...need to get that electric screwdriver out again..I didn't take down the back door! ;)
I'm thinking of you Janet!
hugs, kimmi

Status
Not open for further replies.