dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
This is posted here to remain near the thread that started it. It can easily be categorized in a number of ways, so move it if necessary, Mods. Thank you.

Recently, I was asked to comment on Stew's writing style. I had made a flippant comment that Stew "writes like a girl," which female writers agreed with and male writers (myself included) disagreed with. And so now a question lingers. How does Stew write? I hope to share with you my observations on Stew's writing style here, as evidenced through her largest body of work: her poetry.

Stew's poetry, most will attest, is outstanding. She is prolific, has a strong voice, and evokes emotion easily and at will. Her style is always free-verse with an occasional rhyme thrown into the mix, but always the rhythm is beat-poetic, with a flow like water cascading down a broad rapids. She'll ditch portions of sentence structure to make the idea fit the rhythm of the line, and this works to great effect, as in Poison River where she opens with
Adrenaline bile burns
my throat, my eyes
with a thumping
bass anger-feast.
Her poetry is rarely sappy, never over-sentimental, and this may be what leads writers like Spooky to state that her verse seems almost masculine, or that she is uncomfortable in the presence of petite women. Indeed, she paints pictures of women with a carnal eye that is much more prevalent in men's poetry, such as the dancer in the poem of the same name
Her hips swim in smoky gray
like the night pool.
native tongue forgotten
hair red and wild
denim hugging curves
before unseen
she is goddess.
At the same time, Stew's poetry can be intensely intimate, which could be why female readers find so much resonance in her writing. The personalization and heartache she pours into For Safekeeping is amazing not only for its attention to detail, the nuances of character and setting she chooses to include or ignore, but in the whispered "She gave it to me" confession of her own at the poem's emotionally charged conclusion.

I was specifically asked to offer a serious observation of Trish's writing style. All I can say is this: I have been writing seriously for 30 years. I have studied writing and writers my entire life. I can think of no other poet whose work I look forward to reading upon hearing there's a new verse on the stands.

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
wow, Dave. just wow!
Thank you.

I think the feminine Mac refers to is the flirting, btw, and possibly a bit of the manic, and in conversation, even a bit submissive, which would match up with what Kevin said regarding self-doubt. True.

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
dclary said:
I have been writing seriously for 30 years. I have studied writing and writers my entire life. I can think of no other poet whose work I look forward to reading upon hearing there's a new verse on the stands.
Cool, man. So you started writing seriously when you were seven? I'm in awe. I didn't until I was much older. I've got to read some of your published stuff someday. Thanks

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
Holy crap, this is what it looks like when Clary gets serious? I like it. Nice going.

I'm sorry to say I haven't read enough on the poetry board to give an accurate impression of anyone's style in particular. But now you've encouraged me to change that.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
You don't get to be a professional messageboard poster by fixing toasters everyday. Sheesh.

;)

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
In all fairness, don't get too used to it. 6 days, 22 hours till these shackles fall clean off...

;)

English Dave

Registered
Reaction score
JennaGlatzer said:
Holy crap, this is what it looks like when Clary gets serious? I like it. Nice going.

I'm sorry to say I haven't read enough on the poetry board to give an accurate impression of anyone's style in particular. But now you've encouraged me to change that.
Me too. Now I'd definitely do her. And Clary at a pinch.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
It's true Trish. Your poetry is wonderful. It feels like you stuff a season's inspiration into an afternoon. Always good news to see a Stew21. :)

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I am wondering if Mr. Clary is truly appreciative of Trish's writing style or is he simply paying her a compliment because he finds her attractive and is actually exemplifying his original assessment that Trish "writes like a girl" because he somehow sees femininity as a weakness in the writing world.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
rhymegirl said:
I am wondering if Mr. Clary is truly appreciative of Trish's writing style or is he simply paying her a compliment because he finds her attractive and is actually exemplifying his original assessment that Trish "writes like a girl" because he somehow sees femininity as a weakness in the writing world.

You seem to be implying that I am merely paying lip service to Trish, Rhymegirl, perhaps in a furtive attempt to get in Stew's good graces or possibly flatter her because of a veiled disdain for female writers, is that right? I can see where you might think this were true if I were truly misogynistic, or less up-front than I am.

Those who know me know that I am no bandyer (bandier? Hmph!) of compliments. I am much quicker with an insult or -- heaven help those who can't admit it -- the truth. It just so happens that on rare occasion, the truth turns out to be something good, and this results in looking like praise.

I ask you to consider if I would honestly commend Stew's writing so thoroughly if I found such a fundamental flaw as "she writes like a girl?" To whit, please consider a statement I've made many times, and still believe "Women can not write effect drama, because they can not emotionally dissociate themselves from their characters and thus never write effective male characters."

Finally, also remember that it is well-documented that I can't flirt worth a crap. If I were truly just trying to Horn in on Mrs. Stew, lovely MILF that she is, I would probably do it bass-ackward, and screw everything up, instead of pay her legitimate sweet nothings about her poetry.

The bottom line is this. If I truly thought Stew wrote like a girl, I would have said so. I have no reason to do otherwise.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
Haggis said:
Stop it, Clary. You're frightening me.

Did you replace your syringe.... with Mistletoe?

LOLOL... That's awesome!

ETA: This is throwaway post #1 of 4, Wednesday, 12/13.

Last edited:

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
I keep reading this over and over. I'm thinking he cannot be talking about me. Dave, your sentiment here is very touching. The writing was not always this way (whether you consider it good or bad presently, there is no denying, it was far worse before). Not so long ago was a spell of really bad poetry for me, it was uninspired at best; a serious struggle with the words. AW brought out the good again, or at least what feels like my real voice.
However, I am still not sure what I think of "uncomfortable in the presence of petite women". What does that mean?

Last edited:

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
Wonderful, isn't it? I would tell you that this makes me feel really good, but I think that would be too emotive. and I have three more sentences to use up. So I am going to keep writing. one more - ok done.

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
We are playing in the writing exercise Mac started. We are tasked with changing our writing styles, therefore, instead of one word posts, and monty python quotes, speaking from emotion, giving personal anecdotes, and using emoticons, I must type 5 sentence paragraphs and not use contractions, not flirt. It is in our signature lines so the other players can call us on our flaws and flag the play.
It is brutal. I hate this game. Why am I playing it? this whole second paragraph is just so I can have two five-sentences paragraphs in one post.

Last edited:

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
Stew21 said:
I keep reading this over and over. I'm thinking he cannot be talking about me. Dave, your sentiment here is very touching. The writing was not always this way (whether you consider it good or bad presently, there is no denying, it was far worse before). Not so long ago was a spell of really bad poetry for me, it was uninspired at best; a serious struggle with the words. AW brought out the good again, or at least what feels like my real voice.
However, I am still not sure what I think of "uncomfortable in the presence of petite women". What does that mean?

Stew, you say your writing was worse once. I would certainly hope so. It's only in the actual writing that we become better writers, and it's only in seeing where we've been that we find out how far we've come. And, as they say about you modern ladies, you've come a long way, baby!

As far as the petite women? I have no idea. Ask Spooky. That's his line, I'm just quoting him. :)

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
Stew21 said:
We are playing in the writing exercise Mac started. We are tasked with changing our writing styles, therefore, instead of one word posts, and monty python quotes, speaking from emotion, giving personal anecdotes, and using emoticons, I must type 5 sentence paragraphs and not use contractions, not flirt. It is in our signature lines so the other players can call us on our flaws and flag the play.
It's brutal. I hate this game. Why am I playing it? this whole second paragraph is just so I can have two five-sentences paragraphs in one post.

Better fix that, Stew.

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
dclary said:
Better fix that, Stew.
Thank you for paying attention to my posting, Deek. I will correct it immediately. It is very much appreciated. Thank you again. And did I say "thank you"?
I am afraid the five sentence rule is making me repeat myself, and I feel a bit like dr. seuss. odd. don't you think?

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
I did not mean to post a contraction
I better right now issue a retraction
the It's is "it is" is it? It is.
It is "it is." "It's" is it, that is.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
Stew21 said:
Thank you for paying attention to my posting, Deek. I will correct it immediately. It is very much appreciated. Thank you again. And did I say "thank you"?
I am afraid the five sentence rule is making me repeat myself, and I feel a bit like dr. seuss. odd. don't you think?

Yes. Yes I do. But you better not... or you'll get flagged.

:)

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
"and can't use more than one contraction per post."

I can use one. Indeed I can. I do not like being contractionless, and yet here I am. That is one.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
My apologies then. I thought you had to be utterly contractionless. Like the Democrats want Halliburton. Or is that contractless. Something like that.

(we are in TIO/CE for God's sake.)

Status
Not open for further replies.