Public storage facility security

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tish Davidson

Registered
Reaction score
Does any one know if public self-storage facilities where you rent an individual unit and punch in a code (usually the unit number plus and additional PIN) to open the gate is a record kept of who went in and out of the facility and the times then entered and exited?

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, at least where I use one. We own a small retail business and found this year that we needed seasonal storage, and so rented a unit this fall. The place has excellent video security and keeps a record of every entry and exit, both by code and camera. I don't know how long they keep the video records, but given the ease of digital record-keeping I'd bet the key code transactions are held indefinitely. They also make it next to impossible for more than one vehicle to enter the place at a time. You could, however, enter on foot without using the key pad, when the place is open (it closes at night), but you'd still be recorded visually, and probably stopped by an employee.

Other storage places are open 24/7, but from what I've seen locally, they pretty much offer similar kinds of security arrangements.

caw

Carmy

Banned
Reaction score
At the one I used a couple of years ago I had to sign in at the office to get a key to my unit. The gate to the yards was operated from inside the office. A guard was on duty 24/7 although access to units was from around 7:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.

dahmnait

Just a figment…
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
When you figure it out, will you let me know?
blacbird said:
The place has excellent video security and keeps a record of every entry and exit, both by code and camera. I don't know how long they keep the video records, but given the ease of digital record-keeping I'd bet the key code transactions are held indefinitely. They also make it next to impossible for more than one vehicle to enter the place at a time.
The storage facility my parents rent from has all of these security precautions, plus added security for those entering on foot. They have a code key transaction to enter/exit as well. Additionally, the code key has to be entered to get into the building proper and to use the elevator.

Status
Not open for further replies.