Went AP, got published in magazine - 3 more mags next month

September skies

cloud watching
Registered
Reaction score
under my September Skies in sunny California
Website
www.estheravila.com
Recently, I had submitted a story to DISCOVER magazine (comes out twice a year for the Visalia Chamber of Commerce to promote this area) and I see that the story was printed in the Fall/Winter issue. I love it. I really had forgotten all about it.

I have been away from the boards for a couple of weeks -- (close friend, age 85, died Dec. 1) -- but who would have thought that through all the tragedy, beautiful things happened..without knowing it, he added to my writing career.

Not only did one of my stories about him get submitted as an AP story, but I have been contacted by a couple of other editors from other publications - one asking I come in for an interview for a full time position - and knowing I am a freelancer, another asked me if I was available to write for two local monthly magazines he is editor of -- Style and TC Style.

I was also contacted by the secretary of OVERTURE magazine a few days ago -- Local 47 Musicians' Union magazine in Hollywood -- read by all of the big star musicians.
I was asked to submit a story to the editor on my dear friend. I turned it in yesterday and the story will run in the January issue. So bittersweet.

So....I've been away during these difficult days, but I have also been writing some of the most important stories of my lifetime....without even realizing it.....thanks to my sweet late friend.

Last edited:

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
Truly bittersweet! I'm so sorry about your friend's death. I know how much he meant to you. But in writing about him, you opened up new avenues. I'm so glad you found the sweet along with the sad! You are really on your way now. (And congrats on the love in your life!)

piscesgirl80

Friendly Neighborhood Fish
Registered
Reaction score
:Hug2: My sympathy on your friend's passing. I'm sure your writing is a fitting tribute to him, and congratulations on the new markets.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Hello September. I'm sorry to hear of your friend's death. My thoughts are with you. Congratulations on your wonderful publications news.

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sorry to hear of your loss, but what a wonderful new adventure you're having now - congratulations :)

Southern_girl29

Registered
Reaction score
I'm sorry to hear about your friend passing away. But, I am glad to hear about your publication news. That's great. Congratulations.

Melina

Getting better all the time
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.atozwordsmith.com
Oh, Esther. I'm so sorry about your friend. I know how much you loved him. Sounds like he gave you a great gift--lots of memories and a ton of inspiration. Congratulations on your publication.

Jenny

Who should be writing ...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's lovely that you can celebrate your friend's life through your work. *HUGS*

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations on your success.

ac

September skies

cloud watching
Registered
Reaction score
under my September Skies in sunny California
Website
www.estheravila.com
Thanks everyone. I really am excited about my new writing credits. Discover magazine comes out twice a year -- it is a beautiful magazine about the entire area -- and I see it everywhere in the county here. I love it that I have a story in there.
Style and Tulare County Style are just classy looking little area magazines. And Overture -- that is pure icing on the cake. I never imagined having a story with byline in there. Can't wait to see it. :)

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
So sorry about your friend's passing, SS, but so happy for your writing successes. Way2go and congrats! You sure deserve them and hope you get lots more. :Hug2: :hooray:

glassquill

RB's favourite chewtoy
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your friend's death. I do think that having a story about him getting accepted is a wonderful tribute indeed. Congratulations and may this be just one of many successes for you (minus the sorrow).

:Hug2:

Pat~

Luftmensch Emeritus, A.D.D.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What a wonderful tribute to your friend, Esther. You have my condolences on the loss of someone who so inspired you.

Sury

Word Worker
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bghosh.cavernreal.com
I am sorry to hear about the demise of your friend, Esther. But you are doing him proud by taking his legacy to the world. I am sure he would be glad to know that.

Congrats and hugs. :)

Sury