poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
go get him, kids.

Iranian students have disrupted a speech by President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad at a prestigious Tehran university, setting fire to his picture and heckling him.

"Some students chanted radical slogans and inflamed the atmosphere of the meeting" at the Amir Kabir University, said the semi-official Fars news agency on Monday, which is close to Ahmadinejad.

"A small number of students shouted 'death to the dictator' and smashed cameras of state television but they were confronted by a bigger group of students in the hall chanting: 'We support Ahmadinejad'," it said.

It was the latest in a series of student demonstrations in recent days, the first time in least two years that such protests have taken place on this scale at Iranian universities.

http://www.breitbart.com/news/2006/12/11/061211130257.ypfkzp5b.html

Reaction score
For Christmas, I'm sending all of those students "How to Assasinate a Psychopath Dictator for Dummies."

Reaction score
Bird of Prey said:
Sounds healthy, especially if there's no arrests. i didn't see any yet.

I'm sure they'll handle things like their arrests, torture and murders pretty discreetly and I doubt after it happens that the story will show up for 72 straight days on the front page of the Tehran York Times, but I'll keep my eyes and ears open for ya, Bird.
:)

greglondon

Planet Wookie techno geek
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Rodents Of Unusual Size? I don't think they exist.
Website
www.greglondon.com
Bird of Prey said:
Sounds healthy, especially if there's no arrests. i didn't see any yet.

They might "drop out" of school though.

and into a burlap bag.

Or maybe get extraordinary renditioned some place.

Probably won't get due process.

probably will be tortured.

confessions under torture will probably be submitted to a military court.

military court will probably be closed.

student will probably be barred from hearing evidence against him.

military court wil probably then convict student in secret

and probably order a secret execution

Last edited:

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
greglondon said:
They might "drop out" of school though.

and into a burlap bag.

Or maybe get extraordinary renditioned some place.

Probably won't get due process.

probably will be tortured.

confessions under torture will probably be submitted to a military court.

military court will probably be closed.

student will probably be barred from hearing evidence against him.

military court wil probably then convict student in secret

and probably order a secret execution
Are we talking about the NSA here? 'cause I'm like not one to want a secret execution or nothing like that...:rant:

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
There was a truckers strike in Iran a few weeks ago. It was a good start, but probably ended up in a recruiting drive at truckmasters Academy of Tehran.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
God help us if the suicide bombers unionize.

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
dclary said:
God help us if the suicide bombers unionize.

I think there should be a school for them.

"Okay, everyone--PAY ATTENTION, and come closer. I can only do this once..."

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
perhaps this shouldn't be about america at all, but rather on the topic of student unrest in iran.

Last edited:

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
1809.jpg

Reaction score
I wonder which job would make me more nervous going to on a daily basis.

Training lions and bears for the circus, transporting sound sensitive ammunitions, or working as a Nuclear technician in an Iranian military facility.

"Goodbye, sweetheart, have a nice day at work!"

"Okay, see ya at 7...I hope."

All day long thinking..."Is today the day?"

greglondon

VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.greglondon.com
William Haskins said:
here's hoping that these kids can effect some real social reform.

It was Iranian university students who planned and executed the storming of the US embassy in Iran back in 1979 when Carter was president.

The original idea to seize the American embassy was concocted by Ebrahim Asgharzadeh in September of 1979. Then the heads of the Islamic associations of the main universities of Tehran including University of Tehran, Sharif University of Technology, Amirkabir University of Technology (polytechnic of Tehran), Iran University of Science and Technology gathered.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iranian_hostage_crisis

That wikipedia article also mentions the 1953 overthrow by the CIA, which was why the students did what they did.

In 1953, Prime Minister Mohammed Mossadegh, a nationalist and political enemy of the Shah, nationalized Iran's foreign-owned and managed oil producer, the Anglo Iranian Oil Company. Its furious British owners withdrew employees, and ceased oil production and royalties to the Iranian government. The American CIA and British intellegence launched Operation Ajax, helping the Shah and the Iranian military to remove Mossadegh in what was widely seen as a coup d'état, despite the fact that the Shah was legally entitled to dismiss Mossadegh. In subsequent decades, this foreign intervention, along with issues like unequal development, political repression, corruption, pro-Israeli policies, and the unislamic opulent Western lifestyle of the Iranian elite, united radical Islamists and leftists and spurred the overthrow of the Shah's regime in the Iranian revolution. The Shah left the country for exile in January 1979.

Given the international pressure on Iran over its nuclear technology, and given that our invasion of a non-nuclear Iraq basically broadcast to the world the meme "Disarmament is for Suckers", I'm not sure that Iranian students will see the overthrow of their leader as good for their survival overall. But they certainly do have a track record of being able to stand up to the big dogs when they see they've been wronged, so it should be interesting to see how this plays out over the months and years.

Kentuk

I want to write what I want to write
Registered
Reaction score
They were shills to force moderate support of an extremist leader. They make him seem less extreme and serve notice that politics can get more radical. It is well executed propaganda.

greglondon

VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.greglondon.com
I think the students were legitimately operating on their own at the beginning. But I don't think they had any sort of long term plan. They were concerned that the US was going to bring the Shah back, and they didn't want more torture, more secret police, more dissappearings.

once the students initiated their actions, I think some religious extremists saw an opportunity for political power and took it. I've read some viewpoints about the iranian revolution that there were some moderates operating in the beginning, but they got overwhelmed by the zealots.

Kind of like the way certain extremists saw 9-11 as a way to take over moderate america and turn it into a new empire based on unilateral american force.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
Kentuk said:
They were shills to force moderate support of an extremist leader. They make him seem less extreme and serve notice that politics can get more radical. It is well executed propaganda.

an alternate version of this is they are CIA-backed psy-ops meant to agitate. sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
Bird of Prey said:
Added: I would not be surprised at all if this latest student heckling had CIA support.

whether or not it does is up for debate perhaps. however, we do the ongoing struggle for human rights a grave disservice if we reduce these students to proxies for american policy and fail to acknowledge that the younger generation in iran has good reason to harbor real grievances against their oppressive rulers.

English Dave

Registered
Reaction score
William Haskins said:
whether or not it does is up for debate perhaps. however, we do the ongoing struggle for human rights a grave disservice if we reduce these students to proxies for american policy and fail to acknowledge that the younger generation in iran has good reason to harbor real grievances against their oppressive rulers.

Chavs and hoodies. The lot of them.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
again, sir—there is certainly value in discussing the historical oppression in iran by various regimes, as well as the shortcomings of the US, but as this thread is about students in present times protesting the current regime, this particular conversation is best served by discussing the point at hand.

English Dave

Registered
Reaction score
Bird of Prey said:
I agree, William. Excellent point. However, I harken back to the young Chinese students that protested for democracy in Tiananmen Square: 1989?

It was a courageous, but to no avail. They were punished severely for it, if I'm not mistaken.

I wouldn't say to no avail. The picture of a young student defying a tank is flashed on the psyche of a generation and something that the Republic of China has to live down.

It takes real guts to defy a totalitarian regime. Many times more than students in the West protesting about segregation or Vietnam or Iraq.

We can. Count your blessings rather than looking for conspiricies.

English Dave

Registered
Reaction score
Bird of Prey said:
Am I looking for conspiracies? I don't think so, ED.

And as far as living it down: tell that to the Republic of China. She hasn't lived down a damn thing. The human rights abuses are flagrant. She just executed 16 or so religious people. I'll find the link if you want.

There is a difference between the people who live in China under a regime where conforming can be the dfference between starvation and eating and China.

It's up to us to gradually change that.

greglondon

VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.greglondon.com
William Haskins said:
again, sir—there is certainly value in discussing the historical oppression in iran by various regimes, as well as the shortcomings of the US, but as this thread is about students in present times protesting the current regime, this particular conversation is best served by discussing the point at hand.

If any guesses were to be made as to where these students would be coming from, a look at their complete history would likely be revealing.

Yes they're protesting the current regime, and it is likely that they won't be embracing the US with open arms either.

English Dave

Registered
Reaction score
greglondon said:
If any guesses were to be made as to where these students would be coming from, a look at their complete history would likely be revealing.

Yes they're protesting the current regime, and it is likely that they won't be embracing the US with open arms either.

What is the US? Is it a bunch of self seeking politicians or is it an ideal? I'd guess that a vast percentage of Americans believe in the ideal. And that is what is exported.

The major positive about democracy is that wankers have to account for their actions.

Status
Not open for further replies.