What is the difference between writing about yourself and being "Mary Sue"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
A Mary Sue is an idealised self. Like rather than writing about me, it would be someone very like me but gorgeous, speaking eight languages, rich, reverred and with a young Rudger Hauer as my personal love slave.

JeanneTGC

I *am* Catwoman...and Gini Koch
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ginikoch.com
Also, a Mary Sue is considered someone who comes into a story and makes it ALL better. She/he solves everyone's problems, is adored by everyone, etc., etc.

However, I would tell you not to worry about it. One person's Mary Sue is another's Scarlette O'Hara, if you will. It's more the quality of your writing that will determine if you come off as "Mary Sue" or really engaging protagonist.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, Nancy Drew was a Mary Sue, but I read those books like crazy as girl.

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, so let me see if I got this straight...I can write about myself, as long as I remember to cherish my flaws, and keep the Edward Furlong-esque love interests to a minimum.

Thanks, guys. I've never understood this, because if I were going to write an idealized version of myself, I would not name myself Mary Sue.

Azure Skye

Huh?
Registered
Reaction score
I learn something new everyday here. Never heard of this until now.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
What is the term to describe a character that is modeled after myself but with nothing but FLAWS? Meaning, it's not an idealized version of me, but a "bastard" version.

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you all, you learn something new every day.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
How about Dick Buster?

I'm writing a Dick Buster book, and the main character dies tragically at the end...

JeanneTGC

I *am* Catwoman...and Gini Koch
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ginikoch.com
MajorDrums said:
Oh, okay. Thanks, OFG. I may have inadvertently created a Mary Sue in my WIP.:(

Is it well written and your (supposed) Mary Sue character an engaging protagonist who the reader will root for? If the answers are yes, then who cares if someone calls said protag a Mary Sue?

Like a lot of terms, I heard this one first in fanfiction. Fanfiction is not going to be or going for publication.

If you take most of the Mary Sue "rules" and apply them to any story where the protagonist is a "hero" and you'll find there are a LOT of Mary Sue's out there. So what?

This is one of those issues that good writing solves. The only place where I've really seen the Mary Sue/wish fulfillment type of writing is in fanfiction. If you're not writing fanfiction, I'd say stop worrying about this "issue". There are better, far more relevant writing issues to worry about. :)

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
With a name like that I imagine she would. :snoopy:
maestrowork said:
How about Dick Buster?

I'm writing a Dick Buster book, and the main character dies tragically at the end...

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
JeanneTGC said:
If you take most of the Mary Sue "rules" and apply them to any story where the protagonist is a "hero" and you'll find there are a LOT of Mary Sue's out there. So what? :)

Yeah, that was always my problem with it. Everyone says, If you don't write about yourself, you're not really writing, but if you DO write about yourself, the MC might be a Mary Sue. It just seems like a silly thing to complain about. What matters is if the character is interesting and likeable.

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
Celia Cyanide said:
Yeah, that was always my problem with it. Everyone says, If you don't write about yourself, you're not really writing,

If I wrote about myself, I'd put my readers to sleep. I'm not that interesting. That's why I create interesting characters to write about. ;)

*fondly remembers another alter ego: Martha the Mary Sue Slayer*

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I have no problem with Mary Sue stories as long as it's well written, because seriously, I don't know the author. I wouldn't know one way or another if the character is a Mary Sue. I only care about the story and the characters.

And there are some really great Mary Sues...

Tallymark

Registered
Reaction score
Like JeanneTCG said, Mary Suism is primarily a phenomenon in fanfiction. Like, lets say some young writer was doing a Lord of the Rings fanfiction, and they include an original character, maybe a young woman. Sounds good.

But then, this young woman turns out to secretly be a beautiful elven princess! And she's descended from a lost tribe of Spirit Elves, so she's got super special extra powers that she doesn't even know about yet, but are totally as strong as Gandalf's! And she runs into Sam and Frodo and saves them, leading the way into Mordor, and, in Frodo's moment of failure, realizes that in fact she can resist the power of the ring and control it, and defeats Sauron! And then she marries Legolas, who is madly in love with her. The end.

Basically, all too often self-insertions in fanfictions are total Mary Sues--the author is basically writing a fantasy about themselves in the set universe where they are the glorious superstar who saves the day whom everyone loves.

Alas, nobody in the audience loves them.

(Think that was bad? Try, "a new transfer student from America arrives at Hogwarts and meets Harry..." ..it all goes downhill from there).

In writing, one just needs to be careful that a self-insertion is really a self-insertion, and isn't just you writing about a cool superhero adventure you want to have. Characters need to have flaws, and sometimes they need to have stuff go wrong. I don't like reading about perfect characters; I can't relate to them.

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I used to do an oline roleplaying group, but there were too many "god" characters. That is Mary Sueism.

Status
Not open for further replies.