Red flags - reverse engineered

jamiehall

Bereaved Snarkling
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamiehall.org
Reading through these PublishAmerica posts has impressed me with one idea more than any other: that nearly all of the red flags mentioned by prestigious scam-hunting sites like Writer Beware are more plentifully found at PublishAmerica than anywhere else.

Except for charging obvious upfront fees, they have all the red flags in such profusion that it is a wonder to behold. Furthermore, they do NOTHING right. Even the other vanity press and author mill outfits have at least one tiny, insignificant thing they will do right. Not PublishAmerica.

This made me think: could red flags be reverse-engineered from PublishAmerica practices? For example, if you see any other company that reminds you of anything that is done at PublishAmerica, that could be a red flag right there. Do the company's "satisfied authors" say things that sound just like things that PublishAmerica's "satisfied authors" say? That's a red flag. Does the company's response to complaints remind you of PublishAmerica's response to complaints? That's another red flag.

The list could go on and on. Anytime you see something that reminds you of PublishAmerica in any way, treat it as a red flag.

Caro

Registered
Reaction score
Gravity said:
It could be their new corporate logo: PublishAmerica: the mine canary of vanity publishing.

Okay, I now have to go clean coffee off my monitor. Thanks for the morning laugh.

HapiSofi

Hagiographically Advantaged
Registered
Reaction score
Jamie, that's not a bad idea. There used to be an index of scamminess that measured the subject's degree of resemblance to other operations that were known to be scams. It worked pretty well.