When/how to tell my agent about another project?

nancy02664

Baby Name Maniac
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.nancy.cc
Hi all,

I've had an agent for about 6 months, and so far she hasn't been able to sell my book.

Recently, I started working on a different book--same general subject area, but aimed at a different (& smaller) audience. I'm thinking, based on other book sales I've read about lately, that it might be easier to sell the 2nd book right now.

I'd like to tell my agent about the 2nd book, but I'm not sure what to say (if anything at all, at least this early on). I don't want her to think that I jump from project to project on a whim.

I guess what I'm asking is: if you were me, would you say anything about the 2nd book? If so, how would you bring it up? If not, how long would you wait?

clara bow

Li'l Rug Bug
Registered
Reaction score
I don't have an agent, but I think this is a good question.

Do agents want to know what you have already completed/in the pipeline before even signing the contract, or are they like, let's sell the first book...first...and then discuss other projects?

erinbee

slanted and enchanted
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.erinblakemore.com
I'm in a similar boat - my agent has been trying to sell a non-fiction proposal without success. I recently told him about the novel I'm finishing and he asked me for a quick synopsis, then said he'd be glad to read and represent it when it's submission-ready. I trust that he won't be into sending something out he wouldn't want to go in front of an editor, so I'm sure that when I do send it in he'll have suggestions and maybe revisions, and if he hates it I don't expect him to take it on.

I was nervous before mentioning the project, but reminded myself that my agent took me on because he was interested in representing my career. I can't imagine he'd think I was flighty or unfocused if I produced a saleable piece of work! I'd mention that you're working on another project and ask whether your agent would like to see it. Can't hurt!

Carmy

Banned
Reaction score
When the second novel is ready, send her details. It might be an easier book for her to sell, and that might open up a market for the first novel.

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
nancy02664 said:
I'd like to tell my agent about the 2nd book, but I'm not sure what to say (if anything at all, at least this early on). I don't want her to think that I jump from project to project on a whim.
She should be thrilled that you're being productive. Agents don't want one-shot writers. Do tell her about the second book--she may agree with you that it might be easier to sell.

- Victoria

mysterygrl

Registered
Reaction score
I'm in your shoes, Nancy. It's been over six months and my ms remains unsold. However, I've been working on other projects and recently told my agent about them. I plan to send her a proposal on one of them after the holidays.

(By the way, I was nervous about contacting my agent, too! I'm glad I'm not alone in this. Our relationship is still new, and I was worried she might be losing interest in me since we haven't sold yet. But her reply was very cordial and she said she'd be happy to review my proposal.)

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I'd have to agree, although I don't have an agent at the moment. Honesty is the best policy, and she can't sell what she doesn't know about.

nancy02664

Baby Name Maniac
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.nancy.cc
Thank you, everyone, for the input -- you've convinced me to send my agent an e-mail. :)

mysterygrl - I feel the same way. My agent and I don't know each other well, and I'm afraid of saying/doing something that might convince her she made the wrong decision by taking me on. Probably an unfounded fear, but I can't help but think it...