Not open for further replies.

nancy02664

Baby Name Maniac
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.nancy.cc
Hi all,

Would it be possible to add a forum under "Religious and Spiritual Writing" for those who write about philosophy, ethics, secularism, and so forth? (And maybe expand the title of the sub-forum to something like "Religious, Spiritual and Philosophical Writing"?)

The reason I'm wondering is that there isn't really a place here for non-religious writers. (For instance, the only place I could think of to start a discussion on atheist markets was the "Other" forum under "Religious and Spiritual Writing" -- a pretty counterintuitive location, actually.)

I was going to e-mail a mod, but there isn't one for the sub-forum itself, so I thought posting this here would make more sense.

Thanks,
Nancy

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
For general discussions revolving around topics of this nature, I suggest Current Events and Political Theory in TIO. There's plenty of room for philosophical discussions, despite all the ideological name-calling. Start a thread and see, or go back and look at some older threads.

:)

nancy02664

Baby Name Maniac
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.nancy.cc
robeiae said:
For general discussions revolving around topics of this nature, I suggest Current Events and Political Theory in TIO. There's plenty of room for philosophical discussions, despite all the ideological name-calling. Start a thread and see, or go back and look at some older threads.

I see what you're saying, but I was thinking it would be nice to have a place for people with the same beliefs (along the lines of the Pagan, Jewish and Christian forums) -- I wasn't really thinking about it in terms of starting discussions/debates among the general membership.

Last edited:

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
veinglory said:
I don't think TIO is any place for discussing writing for atheist markets. they'd go off topic from post #2.
But of course. My suggestion was not for writing markets, but for discussions on philosophy and ethics. I'm always looking for fresh blood...;)

As to a specific section for writing markets, Other in the Religious and Spiritual Forum is the closest fit. I have no authority, but a specific section for this market might serve too small a group. Let's see how much of a response this generates, I guess.

We did successfully plead the case for the Historical Writing Forum, after all...

xhouseboy

In the Yellow Woods
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
veinglory said:
I don't think TIO is any place for discussing writing for atheist markets. they'd go off topic from post #2.

I predict a riot... I predict a riot...

nancy02664

Baby Name Maniac
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.nancy.cc
robeiae said:
As to a specific section for writing markets, Other in the Religious and Spiritual Forum is the closest fit. I have no authority, but a specific section for this market might serve too small a group. Let's see how much of a response this generates, I guess.

Good point -- and I think the "other" section would be fine. But, if this is the best place for the nonbelievers, I really hope the title of the sub-forum can be altered to reflect this (otherwise, I think most non-religious people would pass right by).

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I'm not sure we are so small a group, really. At least demographically speaking. About 10% 0f Americans and up to 25% in European countires.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
veinglory said:
I'm not sure we are so small a group, really. At least demographically speaking. About 10% 0f Americans and up to 25% in European countires.
:rolleyes:

Okay, walk me out back and shoot me. I meant the group of writers on this board actively searching for these marktets. And if it's a much bigger group, then great.

Spirit_Fire

Slow-burning Muse
Registered
Reaction score
I enjoy arguments about religion/philosophy/ethics, etc.

I'm looking for a new place where I can get up on my high horse and point the finger. :D

Maybe I should start a thread...

LaceWing

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
There are a lot of religious folk in just about every writing forum on the net. I'm afraid to make someone religious a bad guy in a story -- and that means I can't write truthfully at times and that means I may as well shut up.

I've browsed a couple of atheist websites and found the only topic that unites their denizens is something like "all religious people are really dumb."

If the conversation could get off this one track, it might be interesting. I like considering that religious and scientific impulses are related to story-telling's root cause. Of the three related books to come out recently, I like Dennett over Dawkins and Harris.

I agree that "other" does not work as a forum heading, but "non-religious" might; even better is "decline to state."

Yes, I would really like to see AW and other writers' forums include Decline To State as a sub-forum in the religious area. (Even the census bureau offers this choice now, I think.)

And hopefully the forum's rules would make it clear that preaching is not welcome. Moderating might be quite a challenge, since some missionaries would make a point of making a point at every opportunity.

I would also enjoy a second philosophical forum, especially if it got into existentialism, po mo, varieties of lit theory, roots of symbolism and myth, etc. It might be called the Theory Forum.

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
LaceWing said:
Yes, I would really like to see AW and other writers' forums include Decline To State as a sub-forum in the religious area.

Huh? Maybe I'm missing the point (or the humor), but I don't understand that at all... why would people gather to discuss writing about their "declined to state" religion? What would they talk about?

But to the OP's question: I'm sorry this got overlooked. I'll bring it up with Mac. We can probably add another sub-board there if we have a mod who'll cover it.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I think the point of 'decline to state' would be that posts there would have to be based on something other than one's own faith. The would be described dispassionately.

I think there is a fair amount of writting done with an atheist basis, like my science writing. But it is possible fewer people would come out of the woodwork than I suspect.

Sean D. Schaffer

Registered
Reaction score
nancy02664 said:
Hi all,

Would it be possible to add a forum under "Religious and Spiritual Writing" for those who write about philosophy, ethics, secularism, and so forth? (And maybe expand the title of the sub-forum to something like "Religious, Spiritual and Philosophical Writing"?)

The reason I'm wondering is that there isn't really a place here for non-religious writers. (For instance, the only place I could think of to start a discussion on atheist markets was the "Other" forum under "Religious and Spiritual Writing" -- a pretty counterintuitive location, actually.)

I was going to e-mail a mod, but there isn't one for the sub-forum itself, so I thought posting this here would make more sense.

Thanks,
Nancy

I would have to agree. Some people consider Atheism to be a legitimate religion, of sorts. But I don't think Atheists would wish to be called religious, simply because an Atheist technically, does not believe in a god.

Also, I believe that because many Atheists do not believe in a god, does not mean they should be forced to discuss their views in a myriad of places that may or may not agree with their beliefs.

For these reasons, I think an Atheist section and perhaps an expansion of the name of the 'Religious and Spiritual Writing' section, would be a grand idea.

Just my two cents; I wish you well, Nancy, in your endeavors. Good luck to you.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
It would be good to include the 'spiritual' in the title, but being under 'religious' doesn't bother me at all. There are atheist religions just as there are theist spiritualities.

Sean D. Schaffer

Registered
Reaction score
JennaGlatzer said:
Huh? Maybe I'm missing the point (or the humor), but I don't understand that at all... why would people gather to discuss writing about their "declined to state" religion? What would they talk about?

But to the OP's question: I'm sorry this got overlooked. I'll bring it up with Mac. We can probably add another sub-board there if we have a mod who'll cover it.

I wonder if Mac would be able or willing to moderate this forum herself? I have seen her high amount of respect for all religions and non-religions in the past. I have never seen her tolerate a discussion that bashes another religion, no matter what her personal beliefs are.

Or if there is someone who holds a similar view to MacAllister on the respect for all religions as well as those who do not follow a particular faith, perhaps Mac would be willing to have that person moderate the forum.

It's just a thought on my own part. I do not know how feasible it would be, but I hope my post gives you all some good ideas.

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
We've built it! And thank you, Nancy02664, for your thoughtful and excellent suggestion.

We'll find the perfect mod for you, but in the meantime I'll keep an eye on things--and do feel free to PM me or any of the supermods if you need us.

nancy02664

Baby Name Maniac
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.nancy.cc
MacAllister said:
We've built it! And thank you, Nancy02664, for your thoughtful and excellent suggestion.

We'll find the perfect mod for you, but in the meantime I'll keep an eye on things--and do feel free to PM me or any of the supermods if you need us.

Thanks for the addition! I (and I'm sure a lot of other people) really appreciate it. :)

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
robeiae said:
:rolleyes:

Okay, walk me out back and shoot me. I meant the group of writers on this board actively searching for these marktets. And if it's a much bigger group, then great.

That's really a pretty strong rolly eye metaphor given that I was just assuming the atheist forum would work the same way the Christian and Jewish ones already do--as rather more than a place to look for markets. But maybe it was silly of me to think atheists like to hang out and talk too. But thanks for your really positive input all the way along the line.

Daehota

Registered
Reaction score
I don't fit into any of those other groups either and I have a very strong interest in discussing and writing about these topics.

Just my two bits.

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Daehota, you made me think this post was all new n such! :(

PeeDee

Where's my tea, please...?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
I don't fit into any of those other groups either and I have a very strong interest in discussing and writing about these topics.

Just my two bits.

Well, I think to an extent we can only have so many sub-forums before this place turns into a database maze. I mean, after a while, isn't it like having SCI-FI/FANTASY > Epic Fantasy > Epic Urban Fantasy > Epic Classic Fantasy > Epic Gothic Fantasy > Gothic Fantasy.....and so on.

Although I still chuckle at Jenna's perplexed post about a Declined To State forum. I like the idea of a place for people to gather and decline to state their opinions. I wish we had more of those. :D

Daehota, you made me think this post was all new n such! :(

I know!

PeeDee

Where's my tea, please...?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
Which shows how much of an issue it obviously was to me... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.