PDA

View Full Version : Garbage man/ My Philipina

DreamWorks
12-11-2006, 12:08 AM
This is in the style of Sarah Silverman in Jesus is Magic, when she sings to a group of geriatrics a song called "you're dying, you're dying"
I know this is nowhere near as funny as that, but imagine a rich self deluded brat type singing this innocently and wide eyed, and whether you find this amusing or not, please share your thoughts. I included two songs right after the other cause I feel like they work well together.

garbage man garbage man
how do you survive?
smelling such sordid smells
every day at five?

garbage man garbage man
why are you alive?
do you know what it's like not to live but thrive?

take out the trash
take and dispose
Don't get much cash
but thats how it goes

maybe you could compose symphonies
maybe you should have gotten degrees
You would have avoided social dis-ease
if only you had some small expertise

take out our stash
junk someone throws
more and more trash
Man, your job blows.

Maybe your life could have been a breeze
if you were not up to your knees in dead fleas
why it's enough to make someone wheeze
if only you had some small expertise

My Phillipina has two kids back home
she lives in this country almost alone
she went to college to be a pharmacist
but had to pull out when her dad got a cyst

if her dad had eaten a more healthy diet
today my maids life would have been one great riot
instead he got sick and the bills piled up
as his brain got big and his head swelled up

My Philipina now works in my home
cleaning my toilet and wiping my phone
She'll never be a great pharmacist
Cause of her dad's unfortunate cyst

When your life flashes before your own eyes
will you see something there you do not despise?
or only the cleaning of rich people's lies
your own failed fantasies and stifled cries?

Then I told my Philipina; I'd have never had kids!
I'd have less didn'ts and alot more dids
what's the point of raising the bids
when you can't even be there to feed your own lids?

She burst into tears and ran out the room
so I fired her that very same afternoon

billythrilly7th
12-11-2006, 08:54 AM
I like them.

But don't be surprised if you find yourself on Letterman apologizing to garbage men and Philipinos.
;)

DreamWorks
12-11-2006, 05:19 PM
thanks billythrilly! ooh letterman would be a great place to apologise on...

A note to the public - just curious; why do people not comment? is it because you have nothing good to say? because that is precisely what we are here for - to hear the bad stuff. I personally would much rather someone tell me I hate it than not say anything at all.

What I really want to know is does this fall into the category of funny or preachy or God forbid, sad?

Thanks in advance for any further commentary :)

gwendy85
12-12-2006, 08:07 AM
I'm a Filipina (don't know why people still commit mistakes in the spelling) and I am terribly insulted! You shouldn't be putting stuff that can insult people like that! You ought to think more before you write! Then again, you must be happy you got a rise out of me, aren't you!?@!

DreamWorks
12-12-2006, 09:08 AM
i'm so sorry
No I am not happy you are insulted, although I am happy to have gotten a comment (hint hint why does nobody say anything)
this was intended as eye opening satire, I guess it didn't work huh. I live in Israel, where instead of saying maids or house cleaners we practically say Fillipino (Thanx for the spelling!) because they are basically all from your country. I am sorry if you are insulted by that, but I am insulted as a human being by some of the outrages committed to your people in the Fillipines. Sorry but the story above is 100% true (apart from the fact I fired her)
and even my firing her in the song, could have an alternate meaning - maybe the guy fired her so she wouldn't have any choice but to go back to her country and be with her children??
thanx for responding, anyway i appreciate. sorry about the state of your people in my country. sad but true.

gwendy85
12-12-2006, 12:22 PM
i'm so sorry
No I am not happy you are insulted, although I am happy to have gotten a comment (hint hint why does nobody say anything)
this was intended as eye opening satire, I guess it didn't work huh. I live in Israel, where instead of saying maids or house cleaners we practically say Fillipino (Thanx for the spelling!) because they are basically all from your country. I am sorry if you are insulted by that, but I am insulted as a human being by some of the outrages committed to your people in the Fillipines. Sorry but the story above is 100% true (apart from the fact I fired her)
and even my firing her in the song, could have an alternate meaning - maybe the guy fired her so she wouldn't have any choice but to go back to her country and be with her children??
thanx for responding, anyway i appreciate. sorry about the state of your people in my country. sad but true.

A little more relaxed now. Unfortunately, it's a sad fact. Spelling errors again. Country: Philippines. Citizens: Filipinos (male) Filipinas (female). Still...I would appreciate it if you hadn't mentioned anything about...then again, there's the whole freedom of expression thing. I'm probably the only one to react here, seeing as I'm quite possibly the only Filipina around.

I suppose you'll have to know, that there was one dictionary in which Filipinas were defined as domestic helpers/maids/house helps and it caused such an outrage in my country. I don't know what became of that case, as it has been years. Still, this is a sensitive subject and we Filipinos are sensitive people. Claire Danes has been banned from the country, and is still not allowed in for something she never apologized. You have to tread carefully, esp. with where you're going with this. Despite it being a sad fact that my people are so poor we had to lower and debase ourselves to feed ourselves and our family, we're humans with feelings and wish to be treated with equality and respect, no matter what our profession or status in life. Doesn't everyone want the same thing.

But you can't have a perfect world.

moblues
12-13-2006, 10:15 AM
I'm sorry, DW. gwendy85 is right. You must be very careful. Find other ways of expressing these thoughts. Why do you need a label or nationality? Totally unnecessary. I know from our conversations that you meant no harm. Tread softly. Open your eyes ever wider. Pay attention to the world around you.

Mike

Scarlett_156
12-13-2006, 10:33 AM
I think they're funny and, yeah they're kinda insulting but they're still funny anyway. I'm glad to see you're continuing to work on your song writing and rhyming. They are both getting better.

There's scarcely a kind of satire that's not going to offend SOMEONE-- that's what satire is all about.

I've grown so used to people being insulting, hateful, and threatening toward me throughout my life that I believe that it has indeed desensitized me to a very great degree. So it's always a mild shock when I find myself laughing at something that just about everyone else takes great offense to, and is perhaps the biggest reason that even virulent personal criticism doesn't stir me up even slightly. As long as the guns aren't coming out, ya know?

But anyway-- can't you tell that your songs and rhymes are coming out more naturally now? I can!

DreamWorks
12-13-2006, 08:42 PM
There's scarcely a kind of satire that's not going to offend SOMEONE-- that's what satire is all about.

by exposing the specifics, that makes people aware there is a problem.
Instead of getting into an outrage over the dictionary definition, the phillipines should be dealing with the cause not the symptom, and actually do something about it instead of getting insulted and banning people. In short, what I've done is expose a problem that I think needs to be known and talked about, not hushed away or censored.

I've grown so used to people being insulting, hateful, and threatening toward me throughout my life

I'm sorry to hear that Scarlett! what's up with that?

But anyway-- can't you tell that your songs and rhymes are coming out more naturally now? I can!

Thank you! I really appreciate that :) please don't read "wasted faces," my last post!! Don't know what I was thinking, it is no where near ready. Thanks for the honest opinion on that one Mike, sorry to have wasted everyone's time with it.