Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Let's have a conversation. Try to stay with me for a little while, people, instead of careening off into funny but psychotic episodes. :)

I've shortened the time-out on Haskins and Greg. They're both fully reinstated as of right now. I've also permanently banned Nicegrrl. I've done these things for a variety of reasons.

1. There is a difference between the specific language you use, and the intent with which you use it. That doesn't mean they're unrelated--but they aren't the same thing. I don't believe either William or Greg is inherently misogynistic--that is, while I don't believe the intent behind the language in the thread in question was particularly misogynistic--the language they chose was.

Correspondence with a couple of different board members--who did NOT, by the way, ask me to reconsider imposing limbo--have convinced me that the difference between language chosen in the heat of the moment, and actual intent to wound with that language, is great enough to take it into account.

Now, they were still pretty rude to each other, and that's why the time-out in the first place: the respect your fellow-writer thing. Which I stand by. I sorta missed having 'em around, though. So I shortened it. Which is really sort of arbitrary, and while I could try to think of a good reason, I'll spare you.

I'm deeply troubled that it's considered insulting to imply that a man is in any way woman-like. That's indicative of a deeper cultural issue, though, and I don't think it's completely fair to hang the whole weight of that on any one guy. It's also interesting to realize that one of the worst things a woman can call a man, to insult him, is a dick or an asshole. Sexualized insults are weird.

2. Nicegrrl is leaving us permanently and involuntarily. After a review of her post history, I'm unconvinced she's interested in anything but upsetting and insulting people, just for the sake of stirring up shit. I'm not going to change my mind about that. I've thought about it for a couple of days.

I'm not interested in having anyone in this community who is primarily motivated by being disruptive and divisive just for the sake of getting attention--and for all practical intents and purposes, is apparently completely uncaring about the greater good of the community, as a whole.

I think that's really all I had to say. I'll yield the floor, if we need to talk about it some more.

Last edited:

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you Mac. I respect your opinion and also appreciate that I can come here and feel comfortable and that AW has given me invaluable tools to reach my goals to become a better writer, learn and engage with wonderfully intelligent people.

Last edited:

Bravo

Socialitest
Registered
Reaction score
MacAllister said:
2. Nicegrrl is leaving us permanently and involuntarily. After a review of her post history, I'm unconvinced she's interested in anything but upsetting and insulting people, just for the sake of stirring up shit. I'm not going to change my mind about that. I've thought about it for a couple of days.

i think we interpreted her intent differently.

i dont think she argued to stir stuff up, i think she genuinely believed that stuff.

now, when she says something like "white trash" ppl are right to condemn and call for an apology b/c it's petty namecalling that doesnt do anything to further a discussion.

and of course the "God is a redsox fan" was out of the line abrasiveness as well.

but when she says "native americans are obese b/c they drink too much and dont eat right" (whatever the statement was) she is saying something we can now go thru and challenge or support.

i dont blame you for banning her. but i just dont want the ban to be something over a controversial statement (however repugnant & reductionist it might be to you).

i honestly think she says things that are on a lot of ppl's minds. and when a person goes and just says, "that's not very nice of you" , and doesnt argue against the statement, it does discussions and threads a disservice.

ColoradoGuy

I've seen worse.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chrisjohnsonmd.com
I have an interest, but no training in linguistics. I've struggled over the years trying to understand the pro/anti-Chomsky thing, but I remain fascinated by the issue of the necessity of language for abstract thought. In some sense I think we do use language to frame our thoughts. So words become more than tools to express thoughts, sometimes they are the thoughts themselves. Thus poor word choice can represent more than a limited vocabulary.

Bottom line: ugly words matter because sometimes they represent ugly thoughts--worse, sometimes they represent ugly intent.

Scarlett_156

asdf
Registered
Reaction score
I don't even know what was going on. I just visit this board because it's a resource and don't care about increasing my post count. Every discussion board has members that become addicted to/hung up on that board and unable to move on to anything more productive. That's the internet for ya!

But no need to explain motives to me. Whatever you do I'm sure is for the good of all. Keep on modding!

estateconnection

Registered
Reaction score
Bravo said:
i dont think she argued to stir stuff up, i think she genuinely believed that stuff.

I think some of the stuff was said to stir the pot, but I do agree that I think she genuinely believed some of the stuff she was saying. Archie Bunker.

Deleted member 42

ColoradoGuy said:
I have an interest, but no training in linguistics. I've struggled over the years trying to understand the pro/anti-Chomsky thing, but I remain fascinated by the issue of the necessity of language for abstract thought.

Don't struggle; Chomsky is a total nutter; his grammar doesn't work.

ColoradoGuy said:
Bottom line: ugly words matter because sometimes they represent ugly thoughts--worse, sometimes they represent ugly intent.

Come away from the Dark Side, and join the Whorf-Sapir coalition :D

Bravo

Socialitest
Registered
Reaction score
Medievalist said:
Don't struggle; Chomsky is a total nutter; his grammar doesn't work.

are you being serious?

eta: i never read his linguistic stuff, so im curious.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
MacAllister said:
Sexualized insults are weird.
This is the head-scratcher for me. Why is it odd? An insult is programmed and developed to discomfit. If a man is happy to be a man, then, yes, it would stand to reason that tagging him a woman is a valid insult - to that man. It says nothing against any woman in particular or women as a collective.

I have heard women say of another woman who is acting territorially or being over-bearing that she's "waving her dick around". It's not man-bashing to say that. It's a simple illustrative use of an accessible notion.

I get uneasy, and please note that I'm only giving my logic for my opinion, when language clear in context is vilified for possible extrapolations. To me, that is PC at its most cumbersome and the worst enemy of social progress.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
But then we're assigning empirical bottom lines to a select combination of words. I believe that language and intent is way too fluid for that. I also believe that as devotees of language, it is our responsibility, privilege and joy to find what was said, not only in our own offerings, but in those of others.

Preconceived ramifications of hotbutton words and terms throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Deleted member 42

Perks

If I call Lori a Walloon, in a context that makes it very very clear that to me being a Walloon is a horrible, disgusting and rotten thing to be, then, I am not only dissing Lori (no matter how she interprets it, my intent is to cause pain) but I am also sugggesting/implying that to be a Walloon is a Bad Disgusting Rotten Thing.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Or only that it is 'other' than what Lori identifies herself to be. The insult is in taking the power of naming from the other person, as I see it.

If I call my Uncle Tobias a goddamned idiot, he's not upset because I'm disparaging other idiots, only that he does not see himself as such.

Birol

Around and About
Registered
Reaction score
Other is not about what I identify myself, Perks. It is the basis that one part of society is somehow lessor than another part, based on the dominant culture/viewpoint and how that is dominance is determined. Other is very much about language; it's a big part of some lit crit theories.

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
But then we're assigning empirical bottom lines to a select combination of words. I believe that language and intent is way too fluid for that. I also believe that as devotees of language, it is our responsibility, privilege and joy to find what was said, not only in our own offerings, but in those of others.

Preconceived ramifications of hotbutton words and terms throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Perks, I think that's a valid opinion, and I think one can make an argument for it--even though I don't necessarily agree. That's why we're having the discussion.

Last edited:

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
How come I didn't get the normal corporate email about this decision? How come I always am the last to know anything that goes on around here? I'm like totally in the dark again. Thanks and please try to keep me informed in the future. :D

SC Harrison

Dances With Hamsters
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
There are ways in which to formulate an argument that do not directly impugn your opponent's intelligence, motives, morals, integrity, etc. It's not always easy to remain objective in the face of obstinance, and God knows I've slipped into insulting behavior myself from time to time, but you know what? It pains me to do so. It really does, which is one of the reasons I try to take the time to step back, formulate an argument based on the topic itself, then word it as diplomatically as possible.

Something to think about: we all have opinions, and some of these are strong enough to be considered convictions. If we cannot (especially as writers) make a cogent argument to back up our convictions, regardless of the perceived wrongness of our opponent in debate, our convictions must be the first (and only?) thing we attack. You don't gain wisdom from belittling an adversary or slamming doors in your own mind, you get there by learning.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
I have no hope that I would change anyone's mind who would be offended by a remark like the one that caused all of this. I would simply like to defend a way of not walking around at DefCon 4 all the time. If someone's logic leads them to the conclusion that it is globally wrong to insult a man by insinuating that the genitals that should be hanging low are actually concave, then I believe them. They came to a conclusion.

I just wanted an opportunity to diagram a logic that puts me at a different result. I am not pathetic for thinking so. I am not defective or gender-rejecting. I've actually thought this one through. And I'm pleased with the answer I calculated.

ColoradoGuy

I've seen worse.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chrisjohnsonmd.com
Perks said:
The insult is in taking the power of naming from the other person, as I see it.
And to name a thing can be to control it. Brief medical metaphor: dermatologists gravely name rashes with such things as erythroderma universalis, thinking that doing so somehow gives them power over the thing. To some extent it does, even though we know they have only just named it "red skin all over" in a classical language. So if I control the naming of things, in a sense I control the conversation.

Bravo

Socialitest
Registered
Reaction score
Perks said:
I just wanted an opportunity to diagram a logic that puts me at a different result. I am not pathetic for thinking so. I am not defective or gender-rejecting. I've actually thought this one through. And I'm pleased with the answer I calculated.

if youre a woman who's not offended by it, that's fine and good.

but i can def. see how & why women were offended by it.

maybe it's like the difference b/n calling some1 a dick and calling the person a cunt?

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
SC Harrison said:
There are ways in which to formulate an argument that do not directly impugn your opponent's intelligence, motives, morals, integrity, etc.
But why would you want to? A well crafted insult is a beautiful thing. I've heard several times that it's somehow base to insult or malign. It can be. Or it can be the height of wit and discernment.

Insult is a part of discourse and one should learn to sling and absorb it if one is to play in the political discussion sandbox.

Which is why you won't often find me there. I always think of the great comebacks two weeks later.

Status
Not open for further replies.