PDA

View Full Version : Ever "Dream Write" A Song?

billythrilly7th
12-09-2006, 12:09 AM
One of my favorite songs that I've written and usually the first song I'll play for someone was written in a dream.

And then this morning, another great song was blasting from my Itunes, in a dream. I immediately woke up, jumped out of bed and got it down before it was gone.

It's a weird thing.

I feel kind of like I can't take credit for the songs.

But who should get the credit?

God?

My guardian angel?

It's a weird thing.

But I ain't complaining. Make my job easier.

What say you?

mooncars
12-09-2006, 12:14 AM
You wrote the song. We should give thanks to God in all things, which is right. But you wrote it. The mind at rest is a creative force.

Best,
Rick

billythrilly7th
12-09-2006, 12:24 AM
You wrote the song. We should give thanks to God in all things, which is right. But you wrote it. The mind at rest is a creative force.

Best,
Rick

yeah, I agree...it's just weird when people say "That's a great song."

I kind of shrug and say thanks, wishing I could take more credit for it in my own mind.

It was a gift.

I didn't work for it.

But I accept gifts and I always say thank you.

Thank you.
:)

mooncars
12-09-2006, 02:58 AM
Billy;
If only more people were thankful for gifts, imagine how much more great music this world would possess.
Glad to know ya!

Rock on,
Rick

moblues
12-09-2006, 03:51 AM
One of my favorite songs that I've written and usually the first song I'll play for someone was written in a dream.

And then this morning, another great song was blasting from my Itunes, in a dream. I immediately woke up, jumped out of bed and got it down before it was gone.

It's a weird thing.

I feel kind of like I can't take credit for the songs.

But who should get the credit?

God?

My guardian angel?

It's a weird thing.

But I ain't complaining. Make my job easier.

What say you?

Something similar happened to me when I was a teenager. I was only a guitarist at the time, not a writer per se. My buddy was my lyricist. (This obviously didn't last).

He came over to my room (I was living in a boarding house at the time) with his notebook. I told him about a song I had dreamt I had written. I recited what I had heard in my dream. He handed me his notebook.

His latest entry was almost identical. He had written it the night of my dream.

I believe that sometimes we just tap into something bigger than us. A conduit to creative thought, as it were. When I write my best stuff, whether its novel-length fiction, shorts, poetry, or lyrics, I don't even know that I'm writing anymore. Until I'm done.

I'm sure this sounds nuts, but it's true.

Mike

billythrilly7th
12-09-2006, 04:00 AM
Man, I wish I could dream write a screenplay instead of really writing it.

That would be cool.

jbal
12-09-2006, 04:51 AM
I got the idea for my WIP in a dream.

rtilryarms
12-09-2006, 06:29 AM
I got the idea for my WIP in a dream.

WIP cream?

kborsden
12-09-2006, 07:10 AM
I dont sleep, so therefore dont dream, I do write that I dream though.

DreamWorks
12-10-2006, 09:21 AM
how is it possible to not sleep?