Not open for further replies.

Bird of Prey

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
For now, an unofficial rivalry

Possible Clinton-Obama presidential clash has Senate abuzz

"Don't tell Mama, I'm for Obama" has become the Obama campaign's unofficial motto. It's a reference to Clinton's nickname as first lady and an example of the conflicted loyalties of many Democratic political aides. Some are talking to both camps about possible jobs in the presidential campaigns. Meanwhile, Democratic senators who are not considering presidential bids of their own are remaining neutral. . . . http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16099863/

Last edited:

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Personally - I think nominating these two would be slitting our own throats.

I've been a Democrat since I've been old enough to vote. I have no intentions of changing my party affiliation.

The best - nay, the only thing I could do should this be the Democratic ticket is ABSTAIN.

Obama I don't mind, but he's very young in the political areana. I will not vote for Hilary - ever. She makes a great Senator. New York should keep her.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
In other news, Joes Biden and Lieberthal prepared to take the White House by storm, trusting they could ride the "bravo says white males rule the world" stereotype straight into pennsylvania avenue.

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It doesn't have anything to do with her being a woman.

It has everything to do with her position that the US should be subordinate to the UN.

Sorry, I'm not buying it.

Reaction score
I just pray that the Dems nominate Hillary or Obama.

Both Rudy and MCcain will trounce them. IMO and according to the polls.

I really don't say anyone the dems put up against Rudy or McCain winning to be honest.

An Evan Bayh is a strong candidate though. He seems cool and a moderate.

There must be others. Somewhere.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
what we saw in the mid-terms was a number of conservative-leaning democrats winning over repubs in a "throw-the-bums-out" wave.

this was a feelgood situation for those who wanted to see a sort of wholesale (R) to (D) flip of the rollcall.

the presidential election in 08, being the national stage it is, is going to expose deep divisions in the democratic party, from the right-leaning, somewhat hawkish DLC to the hardcore left.

personally, i think it will prove to be a healthy process. at the very least, it's going to be big fun to watch.

Dawno

Shiny!
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
someplace around here, anyone seen my keys?
While I'm not about to cross the aisle to vote for Obama - and experience is a big issue for me, when he's more seasoned I could be persuaded to change my mind depending on his record in the Senate. I think people need to hear what he's saying. If a run for the White House gets folks thinking about topics like this (any emphasis is mine, elipses are mine as well, where I've skipped certain paragraphs):

For some time now, there has been plenty of talk among pundits and pollsters that the political divide in this country has fallen sharply along religious lines. Indeed, the single biggest "gap" in party affiliation among white Americans today is not between men and women, or those who reside in so-called Red States and those who reside in Blue, but between those who attend church regularly and those who don't.

Conservative leaders have been all too happy to exploit this gap, consistently reminding evangelical Christians that Democrats disrespect their values and dislike their Church, while suggesting to the rest of the country that religious Americans care only about issues like abortion and gay marriage; school prayer and intelligent design.

Democrats, for the most part, have taken the bait. At best, we may try to avoid the conversation about religious values altogether, fearful of offending anyone and claiming that - regardless of our personal beliefs - constitutional principles tie our hands. At worst, there are some liberals who dismiss religion in the public square as inherently irrational or intolerant, insisting on a caricature of religious Americans that paints them as fanatical, or thinking that the very word "Christian" describes one's political opponents, not people of faith...

Now, such strategies of avoidance may work for progressives when our opponent is Alan Keyes. But over the long haul, I think we make a mistake when we fail to acknowledge the power of faith in people's lives -- in the lives of the American people -- and I think it's time that we join a serious debate about how to reconcile faith with our modern, pluralistic democracy.

And if we're going to do that then we first need to understand that Americans are a religious people. 90 percent of us believe in God, 70 percent affiliate themselves with an organized religion, 38 percent call themselves committed Christians, and substantially more people in America believe in angels than they do in evolution.

This religious tendency is not simply the result of successful marketing by skilled preachers or the draw of popular mega-churches. In fact, it speaks to a hunger that's deeper than that - a hunger that goes beyond any particular issue or cause.

Each day, it seems, thousands of Americans are going about their daily rounds - dropping off the kids at school, driving to the office, flying to a business meeting, shopping at the mall, trying to stay on their diets - and they're coming to the realization that something is missing. They are deciding that their work, their possessions, their diversions, their sheer busyness, is not enough.

They want a sense of purpose, a narrative arc to their lives. They're looking to relieve a chronic loneliness, a feeling supported by a recent study that shows Americans have fewer close friends and confidants than ever before. And so they need an assurance that somebody out there cares about them, is listening to them - that they are not just destined to travel down that long highway towards nothingness...

For one thing, I believed and still believe in the power of the African-American religious tradition to spur social change, a power made real by some of the leaders here today. Because of its past, the black church understands in an intimate way the Biblical call to feed the hungry and cloth the naked and challenge powers and principalities. And in its historical struggles for freedom and the rights of man, I was able to see faith as more than just a comfort to the weary or a hedge against death, but rather as an active, palpable agent in the world. As a source of hope.

There's more at this posting of his keynote address to Call to Renewal. If it's not all rhetoric, if he really means it perhaps he can make a change in the attitude of the liberal side of the equasion about the relevance of faith.

Reaction score
Celia Cyanide said:
I love Obama. That is all.

Why?

To me, this is a text book case of a media darling and everyone jumping on board.

ETA: With that said, on a purely charismatical level, I like him too.

His policies are atrocious however. Far lefter. So lefter. No good.

And unlike many others, I don't vote for the popular, good looking guy for President.

Thank you.

Last edited:

Jean Marie

calm waters ahead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jeanmariewiesen.com
I'm w/ Dawno, I'm not ready to cross the aisle, yet, for Obama. However, wait until 2012, and I just might. Matter of fact, I probably will. Why? Because by then he will have gained the experience necessary.

Too bad he doesn't have it, now. I wish he did.

Reaction score
Not saying anyone specifically, but...

For the life of me, I don't understand how someone who has political principles and beliefs can cross the aisle just because they think "Oh, he's cool. So, what that he's going to raise taxes, fund massive entitlements, cut the military, end the Patriot act, put us all in danger, etc...I like him!!"

He's one of the highest rated liberals in Congress. He's wayyyy left.

"I like him though!"

I like lots of people. I like Bravo. I wouldn't vote for him though.

I guess it sucks to be me. I have my beliefs and I have to stick with them.

:Shrug:

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
he voted to reauthorize the patriot act in march of this year.
he's against gay marriage.
he sees value in dialogue with evangelicals.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
just throwing the facts out there. he's an interesting mix of liberal and not so liberal positions.

Reaction score
William Haskins said:
he voted to reauthorize the patriot act in march of this year.
he's against gay marriage.
he sees value in dialogue with evangelicals.

Don't be fooled. This guy is not centrist.

His liberal rating is in the 80%'s somewhere. Or very close to it.

I like him too. AND if he was truly a centrist, I'd never vote for him, but I wouldn't be posting warnings about how others shouldn't.

On a personal level, I don't care who we elect. I'm generally unaffected by our government.

Every post I post and every battle I fight is because I'm just looking out for the folks.

:)

Reaction score
Bird of Prey said:
Well that should seal his fate.

Don't worry.

Like Hillary, I'm sure his position will "evolve" when it comes to this.

Honestly, when I think of Hillary's evolving position, I hate all of these guys. Both parties. If Obama does decide to run, watch how his liberal rating slowly drops...."Obama...this isn't an important one...let's vote conservative on that Pig bill." etc....

Politicians are just about power and how to manipulate their convictions to play better when they're giving a speech here and how to manipulate them this way when they're giving a speech there and how when the poll says they're losing support with this group then have their positions "evolve."

It's a disgusting situation, the majority of the people we have to choose from in this country.

That's why I need to get in there.

My time is coming.

Kate Thornton

Still Happy to be Here. Or Anywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.katethornton.net
Obama for president, Clinton for VP - that ticket would have my vote.
And even then, they'd be a little too conservative for my tastes...

I'd really prefer the reverse ticket, but I don't think it would be successful, so I'd settle for it this way.

nicegrrl

Banned
Reaction score
Obama cant be president because he has a stupid name.

Seriously. People wont vote for a guy whose name rhymes with Osama. We're talking about the country that elected Dumbya and co.

Reaction score
Bird of Prey said:
Please vote for Rudy prior to staging your coup.

In case the coup fails.

A. I'm not running until 2024.
B. There will be no coup. I will win in a landslide vote in 2024. Bring election monitors in, read the results and weep. But be prepared to say "I was wrong and thank you, Billy" when my terms end.

________

Hillary will not be second wheel to Obama. And won't have to. She's destroying him in the polls. Of course the gap could close, but it's not Obama's time. It's Hills.

He'll have his time though and hopefully we'll have a much better idea of what he's about and what he believes in.

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.