A Professional question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Serendipity

I've been toying with the idea of writing a screenplay based on a novel. now how do I go about getting permission for writing this? Do I just write it and then ask the writer or publishing house for permission to submit it... or do I need permission before I can even start writing it? help help help!

:jump Indi

dchapma123

You will need to acquire the film rights for the novel, probably from the author (though possibly from the publisher). Contact the publisher before you begin writing to find out if the rights are even available--someone may have beat you to the punch. If no one has the rights, you may be able to option them, though if you don't already have screenwriting credentials, it may be a hard sell.

You MIGHT be able to boost your chances by convincing a producer to sign on to your project, so that you're not just adapting the novel on spec.

NikeeGoddess

i'm not a professional but.....

you can always call the publisher (some have websites with a rights inquiry section) and find out who owns the rights - they will tell you if someone already has purchased the film adaptation rights

if the writer is a "hot" author then someone probably has already purchased the rights to adapt. in this case.... forgetaboutit!!! you would have to be involved in that purchase and atleast be an established writer to get the opportunity to write the adaptation.

if a producer has already purchased the rights then they will find a name writer. They hire that person, if their script doesn't work they hire somebody else to either rewrite it or start from scratch.

if the rights are available then expect to have a lot of cash to purchase the rights especially if it's a "hot" book
and if it is feasible then you should invest and study in screenwriting books on adapation. novel execution and filmwriting executing are so very different.

write on!

cathypaulwriter

Well....

If you're going to play with the sharks, you can't be afraid of the water and have to join the feeding frenzy.
I'd suggest doing up a 20pg screenplay spec, with an outline of where you're going, then contact the writer (the publishing house more than likely has only the rights to literary media) and send them what you have so they can determine if you've hit the mark on what they're looking for. You might be surprised. Everybody wants their work on film and if you do a fabulous job putting their baby out there...it does happen.

Good luck.

p.s. Before you send anything anywhere, make sure you work it until it's perfect, join every screenwriting board available and get as much feedback/critique as possible and then, if you really want the chance to write the sp, make the changes suggested and post the final product before sending it out.:hat

If the writer (novelist) decides he/she likes what you've done with their work, get an entertainment lawyer to draw up the agreement.

NikeeGoddess

Re: Well....

if you go the route of writing some first (against my suggestion) then i still say you should send them anything. if you get to the point where they are remotely interested then offer them a sample of your writing (and here i'd suggest something other than their adaptation) and a treatment fully outlining where you plan to take the story/how you plan to make it cinematic.

write on!

Jamesaritchie

rights

I've had a fair number of novels contracts, and I've handled more than I can count. There's a clause in every novel contract that covers film rights, and the publisher always owns a piece of them, most often half.

You won't be able to buy the film rights without a boatload of money, and you'll probably need several thousand dollars just for a short term option. It seldom does any good to write a screnplay first, and can sometimes get you in hot water fast.

NikeeGoddess

Re: rights

my suggestion: throw the toy down and right your own stuff!

Status
Not open for further replies.