HERE'S THE DEAL SONGWRITERS

mooncars

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
This worked well for me in another forum, so let's try here.

1-All songwriters post your music on Soundclick, iSound, etc and give us a link to it.

2-In August, we'll choose the top twenty songs posted by poll.

3-I'll compile them, do the artwork and we'll make a cd to sell on Cafe Press at cost.

4-Composers retain 100 copyright rights.

5-This could become an annual thing if anyone's interested.

6-We can also submit to podcasts, I've had several plays on many podcasts.

The ball is in your court. Remember, the first cd is usually a bit more raw than subsequent offerings due to artists growth in bioth composition and recording technique.

Crank it to 11,
Rick.

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Cool! I wish I could write more than lyrics ;)

mooncars

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
WildScribe said:
Cool! I wish I could write more than lyrics ;)

Collaborating with a lyricist is a great option here.

jbal

Registered
Reaction score
Sounds interesting. I have WAY more stuff than what I've posted. I'll switch it out periodically.

mooncars

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
jbal;
Same here. I've got thousands of songs on cdr's collecting dust.

Au reverb,
Rick

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
OKAY! STOP TWISTING MY ARM!

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pageartist.cfm?bandID=18065

Excuse the lack of production qualities (and lack of performance qualities while I'm at it) on these - all I did was guitar and singing just to ge the song down. If one of these were going onto a CD I'd want to redo it with a rhythm section (even if it were only Fruity Loops) and maybe add another verse and a lead break.
Most of these were done for the last two years of the "50 songs in 90 days" challenge (on yahoogroups), sort of like nanowrimo or whatever, for music. I only did three and four songs per year, but some people DID write a whole 50 songs in 90 days and even recorded them all with a bit of production within that time period. I've also written a few other songs that aren't on that soundclick page.

I'm not sure what I'm doing here (meaning on AW overall, not here in songwriting) - I don't know what makes me think I can write a 50,000+ word book when I can barely squeeze out a 50 word song...

I was in the third compilation of the now-defunct newsgroup alt.music.4-track, and made this recording for it: I pieced together (you can hear the edits) this public-domain 'cover song':
http://www.musicalgearbox.com/prelude.mp3

rtilryarms

Crossbows and Handgonnes
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
By the way, I supported this effort so this is not a usurper. Thanks for the effort moony.

ModoReese

Bang head here for service
Registered
Reaction score
I was going to politely decline as everything I have feels "stale" right now (picking this up again after a 4 year break), but last night the muse was screaming in my ear so loud I fear I may have actually accomplished something.

Why does the muse only talk to me at 1 am - never 8 pm?

Michelle

RG570

Registered
Reaction score
Ah, it's too bad I don't write lyrics. All my music is instrumental. I'm never quite sure what this part of the forum is for-- lyrics or actual music composition, or both.

I do have a soundclick site, but I'm not sure if I'm brave enough to expose everyone here to my bad recordings.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
RG570 said:
Ah, it's too bad I don't write lyrics. All my music is instrumental. I'm never quite sure what this part of the forum is for-- lyrics or actual music composition, or both.

I suppose either one, especially if your instrumentals have enough of a melody that words could be hung on it and sung.

I do have a soundclick site, but I'm not sure if I'm brave enough to expose everyone here to my bad recordings.

C'mon now, it can't be much worse than MY soundclick site...

I once thought my music page had been kicked off iuma.com, but then I found out the whole site went down.

burker

Robin Banks

Hi there, I'm new here, just registered. I like the idea posted in this thread, and so here is my submission link:
myspace.com/nomorecowboys

There are a couple of songs there, recorded in Montreal in November 2006 and January 2007.

Cheers,

Robin Banks

mooncars

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Sorry I've been away, but the phone line's been all messed up- hence, no internet. Instrumentals can be as touching or powerful as lyrical compositions.

I won't judge any songs here. I think we'll see how many we get and if there are tons, we'll vote. If not, we'll use 'em all. It does help the confidence and give a sense of belonging to have a tune on a cd.

I'm very humbled by rtillery arms giving his blessing on this undertaking.

Fruity Loops are fine. I use beat boxes myself. The song is what matters.

Cheers,
Rick

Carrie Ann Eggert

Registered
Reaction score
Trenton, New Jersey (The Garden State, Home of the
well

I write tons of lyrics...I have about 30 songs on my computer. I did try to sound some of them out using my computer recorder system and a simple mic but they aren't top of the line and neither is my voice. When I think of how much time I waste in writing lyrics and not being a musician I want to cry. But the music doesn't ever stop until I write it down. I actually had a whole week in which I could do nothing but write the lyrics down and sing them so they would get outta my system.
So I won't be joining you peeps in this venture but I wish you luck and hope your CD climbs the charts.

Carrie:)

mooncars

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Carrie;
Why not? An a capella song is fine. You gave up before you stepped in the ring, sis. Give it a try. I'm in your corner, so get in there kid and pull no punches. Never judge your own performance. A good song is a good song, no matter the execution (and I've executed more songs than anyone!).

Rock with us,
Rick

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I was really looking forward to participating in this. My son is supposed to be helping me with my song, hopefully very soon.

Since Mooncars was banned, what happened to this idea?

Does this mean the whole idea is scrapped now? I hope not.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
I was really looking forward to participating in this. My son is supposed to be helping me with my song, hopefully very soon.

Since Mooncars was banned, what happened to this idea?

Does this mean the whole idea is scrapped now? I hope not.

It appears to be in limbo, but since YOU bumped up the thread, ...

Actually, I could possibly help with the production (as in assembling all the songs, and perhaps do some "mastering" so they flow together on the CD and are at similar/appropriate volume levels), pending my available time, if we can get a few more people interested.

You also remind me to post that the 50-in-90 challenge is about to come back around again. I'll post a new thread for it.