Recording vs just posting lyrics

rtilryarms

Crossbows and Handgonnes
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
OK,

Finally we have some people posting sound-based music (very good I might add).
It has been my goal for the last 2 years to make this very thing a reality, but technology is advancing far faster than my free time to experiment.

I would like to utilize this thread for you new Gurus out there, to help us tecnologically challenged po' folk become adept at getting sound quality posts.

Jbal, Mooncars and Jim Colyer are the most recent experts, how about some advice and tips?

I know I excluded others so for give my old-age memory.

Let's fire it up!

DreamWorks

keep dreaming
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I intend to link to some of my songs soon and I was going to do it through MySpace by opening a musician's account and then just uploading a song there. Couldn't be easier than that, right?

jbal

Registered
Reaction score
Do you mean in regards to recording with good quality? Because I sell the equipment for a living, I can definitely help there. The stuff I posted on purevolume.com is just 96 kbps mp3's, which still sound like crap to me, but you can't do .wav's.

mooncars

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
First off, there are a few good free multitrack resording softwares out there. I use Audacity. It has a learning curve (but we can walk you through it). I have a Zoom PS04 multitrack digital recorder. It has several drum patterns, amp modelers and 4 tracks plus 36 virtual tracks. at !199, it's been a good deal for me.

The unit is small (can operate for five hours on 4 AA batteries or use the adapter) and has a good size learning curve, but can be mastered. I have a friend who records his podcast in his car with it on lunchbreak. Great for recording anywhere, anytime.

I usually just plug my guitar into the Zoom and interface into the Audacity. The Zoom has a built in mic that's very good (I've used it for all my vocals this past year).

To use my wife's words I'm "daft", but I caught onto the technology after lots of trial and error.

Another great thing about pc recording is you can send a file via email to a friend who can add a part if you want to collaborate. I've done this. One of my songs was an effort involving people in three continents. Pretty nifty.

Boss makes good recorders also for the home recordist.

Any questions just ask.

Au reverb,
Rick

mooncars

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
DreamWorks said:
I intend to link to some of my songs soon and I was going to do it through MySpace by opening a musician's account and then just uploading a song there. Couldn't be easier than that, right?

You can use Soundclick, iSound, Switchpod, etc. They are all free and fairly user friendly.

rtilryarms

Crossbows and Handgonnes
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
jbal said:
Do you mean in regards to recording with good quality? Because I sell the equipment for a living, I can definitely help there. The stuff I posted on purevolume.com is just 96 kbps mp3's, which still sound like crap to me, but you can't do .wav's.

This is an invitation to plug the equipment you sell. Let's have a cheap, moderate and ritzy solution pitch.

For the purposes of this thread, what did you use for you purevolume posts?

rtilryarms

Crossbows and Handgonnes
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
mooncars said:
First off, there are a few good free multitrack resording softwares out there. I use Audacity. It has a learning curve (but we can walk you through it). I have a Zoom PS04 multitrack digital recorder. It has several drum patterns, amp modelers and 4 tracks plus 36 virtual tracks. at !199, it's been a good deal for me.

The unit is small (can operate for five hours on 4 AA batteries or use the adapter) and has a good size learning curve, but can be mastered. I have a friend who records his podcast in his car with it on lunchbreak. Great for recording anywhere, anytime.

I usually just plug my guitar into the Zoom and interface into the Audacity. The Zoom has a built in mic that's very good (I've used it for all my vocals this past year).

To use my wife's words I'm "daft", but I caught onto the technology after lots of trial and error.

Another great thing about pc recording is you can send a file via email to a friend who can add a part if you want to collaborate. I've done this. One of my songs was an effort involving people in three continents. Pretty nifty.

Boss makes good recorders also for the home recordist.

Any questions just ask.

Au reverb,
Rick

My Sister uses Audacity, she likes it. I was looking at Pro-Tools.

My goal for 2007 is to make this an audible critique and discussion forum. Maybe y'all can help out.

Mike

(au reverb... lol)

mooncars

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Indie musicians have the same hurdles as book authors. Getting your product out to the public. If you just want to make some cd's cheap to sell or give to friends, Dollar CD is a good place. You'll find them on the web. They do a black and white cardboard sleeve (very well printed) and burn and imprint the disc, shrinkwrap, etc for $1 each. Shipping is $10 regardles of the size of your order. If you order 1 cd it's 11 bucks. Order 10 and it's 20 bucks. A hundred will run you $110. Good deal.

Hope this helps,
Rick

mooncars

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
rtilryarms said:
My Sister uses Audacity, she likes it. I was looking at Pro-Tools.

My goal for 2007 is to make this an audible critique and discussion forum. Maybe y'all can help out.

Mike

(au reverb... lol)

This forum should have already been there. Songs depend on sound. Cold reading lyrics doesn't give the true flavor. The best way to do this is to start posting songs. Raw, polished, etc. We can help others learn how to clean up their music and tighten loose ends. I've run a forum that did exactly that. It's thriving to this day with 1600 members and growing.

Sop post them songs.

Rick

rtilryarms

Crossbows and Handgonnes
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I could make a subforum for posting songs with a password so there are no theft or copyright concerns. I am considering that.

mooncars

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
rtilryarms said:
I could make a subforum for posting songs with a password so there are no theft or copyright concerns. I am considering that.

You certainly could, but once you have uploaded your song on another site, you have proof and date of ownership. Of course there's the registration route at $30 per song. Completely unnecessary until you're picked up by another artist, label, etc.

jbal

Registered
Reaction score
rtilryarms said:
This is an invitation to plug the equipment you sell. Let's have a cheap, moderate and ritzy solution pitch.

For the purposes of this thread, what did you use for you purevolume posts?
For the stuff I posted. I used Cakewalk Sonar (Now on version 6, I used 2.2), which is excellent software with unlimited tracks. (the poisonous has 28), along with a Tascam audio interface and all Audio-Technica mics. Not counting instruments, this would all cost about $2000 including Sonic Foundry Sound Forge, which is great for editing and mastering.
Cheaper solution would be a Boss BR-600, 8 track recorder which is $399, and can hold 32 tracks, though it only plays 8 at once. It's got a usb, so you can drop the tracks into Home Studio software, which costs $99, and take advantage of all 32 tracks. Many solutions out there. I'll expand on this when I have more time.

DreamWorks

keep dreaming
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Yes I would feel much happier about posting songs if there was a password!