PDA

View Full Version : Young Writers:Please Respond

Pages : [1] 2

Oliveman
12-08-2006, 05:31 AM
Any young writers here under the age of 21? I'd be interested in getting to know you, and perhaps we could start a group on this website. If no one responds.. I'll assume I'm the only one, or that I should post in other forums. You can message me as well ^^b

Oh and if you don't know, I am a 17 year old senior in highschool working on a fantasy novel.

Be pleased to meet you!

EDIT December 06 2007
We now have a home: http://authoringideas.proboards75.com
Also, though our user base is mostly young writers, I welcome anyone of any age to join. Furthermore, we're still growing and changing, so anyone who wants to get involved with the actual construction of the group, the forum, or the website, CAN.

Our forum mostly concentrates on the investigation of ideas that can go into writing, although it has a section devoted just to writing. In this way it's different from these forums, and is more concentrated and progressive. Our hope is that we're able to lead a revolution of sorts in the literary world through our ideas and writing.

So come on in and introduce yourself! We don't bite, seriously.

Oh, and as a further update, I'm 18 now, and at 39k words in the novel mentioned above ;)

Akuma
12-08-2006, 05:35 AM
17 year old senior with sci-fi/fantasy novel in the works. Sounds like a cool idea you've got. Feel free to PM! :)

WildScribe
12-08-2006, 05:37 AM
20 year old fantasy lover, but my WIP is actually YA... which I never in a million years thought I'd be interested in writing. Go figure. Anyway, I barely meet the criteria, as I will be 21 in three weeks. Do you still love me?

Alan Yee
12-08-2006, 05:42 AM
I'm a 15-year-old high school freshman who is writing a dark urban fantasy/horror novel. I read fantasy and horror, and some SF.

There's other teens around here. You just have to look around for them carefully to find them. ;)

Akuma
12-08-2006, 05:44 AM
There's other teens around here. You just have to look around for them carefully to find them. ;)

You just have to look for the excess of emotes and "LOL"s. :tongue

anodyne
12-08-2006, 05:44 AM
Yeah, I'm kind of bummed to be considered an old writer.

Provrb1810meggy
12-08-2006, 05:48 AM
I'm 14 and have written three novels. Young adult novels are my favorite things to write and read. I'm currently revising one of my novels. It's kind of girly, with a chick lit feel. The NaNoWriMo novel I just finished was a YA urban fantasy.

Yep, there's teens here! I hope you enjoy AW.

jbal
12-08-2006, 05:52 AM
I clicked on this thread thinking "I'm young". (28)

PeeDee
12-08-2006, 05:55 AM
I've still got lots of youthful life left in me. I like long walks on the beach followed by a frolic in the waves, and then a tip-toe through the tulips. I've been known to get frisky when Kenny Rogers gets my bones up on the radio.

....what?

.....it's a what thread?

Oh. Er.

Um.

Disregard. Have fun, kids.

soloset
12-08-2006, 05:56 AM
I wasn't feeling particularly old until my first thought on reading this post was "I'm not sure that's a wise idea; what if oliveman is a freaky internet predator luring teenagers in for nefarious purposes?"

And then I considered posting a warning for the young people in case they hadn't heard it ten thousand times before.

Now I feel really, really old.

PeeDee
12-08-2006, 05:59 AM
So what, if we have a teenager's club on AW, are we going to have an Up And Coming Club, an Established Writers Club, an Old Person Scribbler Club? Are we to segregate ourselves like this?

No matter how you divide up AW, I will still sit at the front of the bus.

(that's a reference to "history," for those of you kids.)

CaoPaux
12-08-2006, 06:06 AM
'Twas my first thought/impulse as well, Soloset. :cool:

Carrie in PA
12-08-2006, 06:06 AM
So what, if we have a teenager's club on AW, are we going to have an Up And Coming Club, an Established Writers Club, an Old Person Scribbler Club? Are we to segregate ourselves like this?

No matter how you divide up AW, I will still sit at the front of the bus.

(that's a reference to "history," for those of you kids.)

Behind ya all the way, Rosa!

(And no, I don't know WTF I'm doing in this thread. :ROFL: )

Akuma
12-08-2006, 06:07 AM
Get out, you old coots! :P

PeeDee
12-08-2006, 06:57 AM
Respect your elders, get a hair cut, pull up your pants!

Elektra
12-08-2006, 07:03 AM
Respect your elders, get a hair cut, pull up your pants!

You never understand! I hate you! Oh, and later can I have a ride to the mall?

TwentyFour
12-08-2006, 07:03 AM
I use alot of LOL's and this sucks! I'm only 28 and I'm considered old. Well poop on you!

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLO LOL

MidnightMuse
12-08-2006, 07:05 AM
Turn that music down! And close the fridge door, I'm not paying to cool down the whole nieghborhood!

I'm with you, Soloset, and now I feel old too.

Alan Yee
12-08-2006, 07:11 AM
Nah, even if I thought the OP was legit, I wouldn't actually contact them without knowing they're here for other reasons than baiting. I usually only PM people who've been here long enough to contribute and who've talked with me before.

But, just so we're all safe.... for heaven's sake, don't give out your physical address, phone number, school name, route to and from and school, date of birth, yaddayaddayadda to some person you met online. And don't arrange to meet them in real life. You might be a little surprised to find out that 18-year-old Sexy Hunk is really a 40-year-old fat guy who *really* wants to gets to know you. (Seriously, you *don't* want to get to know him.)

This message has been brought to you by AY DieselGuy. Thank you.

Akuma
12-08-2006, 07:32 AM
But, just so we're all safe.... for heaven's sake, don't give out your physical address, phone number, school name, route to and from and school, date of birth, yaddayaddayadda to some person you met online. And don't arrange to meet them in real life. You might be a little surprised to find out that 18-year-old Sexy Hunk is really a 40-year-old fat guy who *really* wants to gets to know you. (Seriously, you *don't* want to get to know him.)

I still don't get how people are so stupid as to fall for that. Of course, there are idiots.

I believe it was through Myspace that a grown man convinced a 15 year old girl to sleep with him and birth two babies. He used the first one for a snuff film. Got caught before getting the second one, I believe.

Happyhappyhappy!

engmajor2005
12-08-2006, 07:37 AM
Um, I'm 24 but stopped maturing around age 16. Do I count?

(PS--I'd rather hang around teens than grown-ups most of the time, at least people who still act like college students.)

(PPS--I know how creepy that sounds. My intentions are noble.)

David McAfee
12-08-2006, 07:47 AM
I'm a 12 year old boy living in a 33 year old man's body....at least so my wife tells me.

Man...first I was too old to audition for American Idol and now this! Sheesh! Where's my walker!!

(seriously...I can't find my walker....it's my eyesight, you know. My trifocals are missing and without them I can't see to find my...well...trifocals)

BruceJ
12-08-2006, 07:47 AM
Well, I'm probably old enough to tell your parents to get a hair cut and pull up their pants, but that doesn't mean I can't listen in.

Down with "age-ism"! :Soapbox:

I'll be quiet now...

PeeDee
12-08-2006, 08:32 AM
Dag nabbit!

http://www.uttyler.edu/cowan/circle/gifs/CONWAYThe-Old-Man.jpg

Oliveman
12-08-2006, 08:40 AM
LOL wow! what a responce! I was cracking up just reading some of this. You guys aren't old ^^ don't take offence. I had to stop somewhere, though :P

Oh and note the :P's and LOL's, dang it

And no im not an internet stalker, though who's to know? Muahaha O_o

Actually I think internet stalkers would have a little sense in them and not try for writers, sharp as they are.

Sorry for making anyone feel old ^_- love you all anyway

PeeDee
12-08-2006, 08:44 AM
Actually, I'm not nearly old enough to be posting a picture like that above guy, really.

SomethingCatchy
12-08-2006, 09:16 AM
20. Old is all relative anyway. Besides, I took an online test (because they're the most accurate kind, of course) and it told me I acted like a 30 year old. I didn't know whether to be offended or happy.

PeeDee
12-08-2006, 09:18 AM
Test Results: You act like you have been dead for nine months. Get a life.

*sob*

soloset
12-08-2006, 09:25 AM
I'm glad I'm not the only one who felt old. And I have to say, the internet-savvy-ness of all you (pesky) teenagers is not making me feel any younger.

Sorry for making anyone feel old ^_- love you all anyway

Awww, that's okay then. Just don't internet stalk or axe murder anyone and it'll be all good.

(ETA: I took that test too, and I tested out my actual age. Yay. I think.)

Mr. Funktastic
12-08-2006, 09:56 AM
I suppose I'm pushing your age limit, Oliveman, because I'll be 21 in four months, but... I'll join your incredible underage club.

Oliveman
12-08-2006, 10:02 AM
simply funktastic

merper
12-08-2006, 10:29 AM
Dammit there's only downsides to turning 21. The booze tasted so much sweeter when it was forbidden.

Mr. Funktastic
12-08-2006, 11:33 AM
simply funktastic

I think you just gave me my new favorite description, sir. I mean, it doesn't make much sense, but it just sounds so good. You know, outside the name for once.

RLB
12-08-2006, 11:36 AM
I have counted at least three unsuspecting 28 year olds (myself included)who have been lured into this thread. Evil, just evil.

Zolah
12-08-2006, 12:51 PM
God, I'm only 24 and I'm already an 'old' writer! Over the hill! Washed up! Finished! Wwaaaaah!

aadams73
12-08-2006, 02:45 PM
WOULD YOU ALL SPEAK UP PLEASE. EH? EH? what's that sonny boy?

I'm 33, just roll me in the grave and throw dirt on my ancient face.

bsolah
12-08-2006, 03:46 PM
I think you'll find lots of young writers here.

I'm a 20-year-old Marxist horror writer. Age does not matter. Some of my friends think it's weird, but I have good friends who are twice, even three times my age.

engmajor2005
12-08-2006, 06:59 PM
I think you'll find lots of young writers here.

I'm a 20-year-old Marxist horror writer. Age does not matter. Some of my friends think it's weird, but I have good friends who are twice, even three times my age.

Hmmm...is that horror stories with pro-Marxist overtones, or stories that treat Marxism as horrific?

engmajor2005
12-08-2006, 07:01 PM
Dammit there's only downsides to turning 21. The booze tasted so much sweeter when it was forbidden.

Ah after ten drinks they all taste the same anyway.

NOT THAT I'M CONDONING OR APPROVING DRINKING, UNDERAGE OR OTHERWISE. I am, after all, what I think the popular term is defined as "straight edge."

I want an "sXe" tattoo...

Azure Skye
12-08-2006, 07:19 PM
I like being old, erm, I mean, older.

SomethingCatchy
12-08-2006, 07:21 PM
I've been able to drink legally for the last two years. And now I almost never drink. Go figure.

Mark Lazer
12-08-2006, 07:45 PM
*gasps* I'm considered old already now...

Stormhawk
12-08-2006, 11:59 PM
I've been 21 for 5 months now...but that makes me >21 therefore old.

*goes and cries in the corner*

Warp
12-09-2006, 12:24 AM
I just turned 25 yesterday, felt pretty good about it too. But now I have to go cry in the corner b/c I'm old! Half a century! Too old for you cool kids and your young writers club thingy. It's like middle school all over again.

Oh well. At least I'm out of high school and got a BA. Take that suckers! I'll take 25 over 16 any day.

Oh, and for all you young men out there, do like Pee Dee said and pull your pants up. I don't wanna see your boxers and I don't think anyone else does either.

Have fun in your club. *begans doing grown up things like listening to free form jazz*

Stormhawk
12-09-2006, 01:07 AM
...don't you mean 1/4 of a century?

Akuma
12-09-2006, 02:24 AM
simply funktastic

Would it be terribly unwise for me to suggest upping the age limit a little?

Some of the posters look like their gettng riled up and we don't want bedpans flying.

BruceJ
12-09-2006, 02:30 AM
Bed pans? Oh, that hurt!

Oliveman
12-09-2006, 02:40 AM
Well the original intent of this post was to establish a group of writers who normally arent considered to be serious writers, hence the fact that many 21-30 yr olds have posted. We are not better, cooler, more writerly than you, simply at an unusual age to be a serious writer. Not saying that you're being conventional, since serious writers are a minority anyway.

Now, that being said, we're all of a similar generation, so... let's all make a group! Up the age to 30! If you're 31, please do not complain ;P

Bufty
12-09-2006, 02:45 AM
I'm a long way ahead of 21-30, which may explain my confusion, but what are you talking about? :Shrug:

...a group of writers who normally arent considered to be serious writers, hence the fact that many 21-30 yr olds have posted. We are not better, cooler, more writerly than you, simply at an unusual age to be a serious writer.

aadams73
12-09-2006, 02:45 AM
Look at me, I'm wearing the bedpan as a hat!

Anyone seen my walker? Eh? Eh?

Nevermind, I think I just broke a bone anyway.

(where's my damn pudding?)

bsolah
12-09-2006, 03:13 AM
Hmmm...is that horror stories with pro-Marxist overtones, or stories that treat Marxism as horrific?

Horror stories with pro-Marxist overtones. I'm a Trotskyist and am involved in activism around Sydney, as well as being a writer, so it's a bit hard for me to ignore my worldview when writing.

Mr. Funktastic
12-09-2006, 03:24 AM
Walkers do not signify old age. I fractured five vertebrae in my lower back when I was eighteen, and I had to hobble around on a walker for a week. It wasn't very fun...

I haven't associated them with old people since. Take that. Hoo-rah!

aadams73
12-09-2006, 03:42 AM
Please don't spoil my pudding high with persnickety things like fact and common sense :D

PeeDee
12-09-2006, 03:56 AM
yer' gots a purty picture there, by your name. You wanna maybe step out later? Catch a late night moving picture, at around 5:00?

Tallymark
12-09-2006, 04:29 AM
22 and already an old biddy. XD Us 21-31 year olds can have senior status in the young'ns club!

Do I get any discounts?

Cat Scratch
12-09-2006, 05:51 AM
Olive, I don't think anyone here considers writers under the age of 21 as "less serious." A number of us started when we were your age, and are just poking fun at ourselves for reminiscing. (Did I just say when we were your age? Ouch.)

That said, I'm 29 and often the youngest in my writing groups by at least a decade, so I understand feeling outnumbered.

bsolah
12-09-2006, 06:49 AM
Yeah, I think we could do better than to isolate ourselves into age groups. I mean, writers are an endangered species; if anything, we need to unite further.

Sean D. Schaffer
12-09-2006, 10:05 AM
Right about now, I wish I was 15 years younger. Then I could say something relevant to this thread.

Darn but I do feel a lot older than I did about five minutes ago.

Oliveman
12-09-2006, 10:48 AM
This was not meant for people to be hard on themselves! geez, lighten up a little :P no one was meant to take offense. Must we view our age with such severity? It's only spirit's waning we should be concerned with.

Just wanted to create a group of people who are from a similar perspective in terms of how old they are at a specific time in history. It is merely gathering together the ideas that we can throw around between each other and bringing them to the table of writers. I want to make a place for that, you see. I should have been more general in who could join, I'll admit. Something like "Anyone around age 18"

Just remember the original intent of the post, guys :P

PeeDee
12-09-2006, 04:49 PM
This was not meant for people to be hard on themselves! geez, lighten up a little :P no one was meant to take offense. Must we view our age with such severity?

YES. And you reminded me. And I was just managing to stay SOBER.

ASS.

Now I have to go DRINK and BE BILLIGERENT and USE ADVERBS.

I hope you're happy. That must be what you wanted, when you reminded me that we're all going to DIE SOON.

*sobs petulantly in the corner.*

Azure Skye
12-09-2006, 06:13 PM
This was not meant for people to be hard on themselves! geez, lighten up a little :P no one was meant to take offense. Must we view our age with such severity? It's only spirit's waning we should be concerned with.

Just wanted to create a group of people who are from a similar perspective in terms of how old they are at a specific time in history. It is merely gathering together the ideas that we can throw around between each other and bringing them to the table of writers. I want to make a place for that, you see. I should have been more general in who could join, I'll admit. Something like "Anyone around age 18"

Just remember the original intent of the post, guys :P

I don't think anyone took offense. We're just being our usual cheeky selves.

I have a craving for pudding all of a sudden.

Provrb1810meggy
12-09-2006, 06:28 PM
Hmm...all you old people (ha, just kidding, you aren't THAT old) that want to be younger, well, I'm young and I want to be older. High schoolers are idiots, but I guess there's idiots wherever you go, right?

PeeDee
12-09-2006, 06:30 PM
Hmm...all you old people (ha, just kidding, you aren't THAT old) that want to be younger, well, I'm young and I want to be older. High schoolers are idiots, but I guess there's idiots wherever you go, right?

Yeah, remember that the idiots eventually get older too. World full of 'em. :)

Provrb1810meggy
12-09-2006, 06:33 PM
Yeah, remember that the idiots eventually get older too. World full of 'em. :)

Hey, you weren't supposed to say that! You were supposed to say life gets better out of high school, people grow out of it, college is so much better, etc. Sheesh.

TsukiRyoko
12-09-2006, 07:18 PM
I'm a 16 (turning 17 within the next week) year old, technically a junior, but I homeschool and take college classes instead. I write fantasy (we should start an underage fantastical mafia...), horror, and sci-fi. I also do a lot under YA, and I've been looking into the wonders of freelance writing.

Oliveman
12-09-2006, 11:47 PM
And you must realize that I am someone who takes things far too seriously, now and then. :P

maddythemad
12-10-2006, 04:09 AM
14 y'all.

Carrie in PA
12-10-2006, 06:36 AM
WHAT?? For Pete's sake SPEAK UP! How do you expect me to hear what you're typing?? Eh?? Eh????

Damn kids. Where's my applesauce?!

*shuffles off*

PeeDee
12-10-2006, 06:40 AM
http://www.gallery19.us/images/100-11845.jpg

Carrie in PA
12-10-2006, 06:42 AM
Have you been following me again??

PeeDee
12-10-2006, 06:44 AM
Considering you're asleep on myshoulder, I'd say it's the other way around.

And then there's Jenna, sitting upright.

Carrie in PA
12-10-2006, 06:46 AM
Then who took the picture? Musta been one of them there whippersnappers who can do energetic stuff like... stay awake long enough to take a picZzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...

Sean D. Schaffer
12-10-2006, 06:46 AM

Wow! Is that a Super 8 movie camera on the table? I haven't seen one of those since I was little.

Now I really feel dated.

Alan Yee
12-10-2006, 08:08 AM
Just so we're all clear... this is Writing Novels, not Office Party. This thread is starting to look a lot like OP. ;)

karo.ambrose
12-10-2006, 10:15 AM

I'm totally crushing on the woman on the far right. She's got mad style.

maddythemad
12-10-2006, 10:29 AM
My g-ma is way cooler-looking than that. So there!

WildScribe
12-12-2006, 10:06 AM
So are we gonna have a secret handshake, or what?

Cat Scratch
12-13-2006, 02:21 AM
WHAT?? For Pete's sake SPEAK UP! How do you expect me to hear what you're typing?? Eh?? Eh????

Damn kids. Where's my applesauce?!

*shuffles off*

Its right next to my prunes! And has anyone seen my glasses?

(P.S. In evidence of my twisted mind, I saw the picture of the elderly people sleeping and my mind went "mob hit.")

Akuma
12-13-2006, 02:30 AM
So are we gonna have a secret handshake, or what?

I cast my vote.

maddythemad
12-13-2006, 02:33 AM
Definitely on the secret handshake.

Any suggestions? Bonus points if you include jazz-hands.

Akuma
12-13-2006, 02:58 AM
No jazz hands but...

http://youtube dot com/watch?v=_hfjn24e0hs

Provrb1810meggy
12-13-2006, 02:58 AM
Lick your pinky, touch it to your nose, high five down low, jazz hands, jazz hands, then spin around three times on your tippy-toes, then kneel down to the ground, and do Patty Cake. The whole time you should shout, "I'm a young writer. WOO HOO!"

Carrie in PA
12-13-2006, 03:23 AM
Lick your pinky, touch it to your nose, high five down low, jazz hands, jazz hands, then spin around three times on your tippy-toes, then kneel down to the ground, and do Patty Cake. The whole time you should shout, "I'm a young writer. WOO HOO!"

OH GAWD!!! I just tried this and I think I broke my hip!!!!!!!!

:roll: :roll:

PeeDee
12-13-2006, 04:22 AM
Stop shouting that! GET OFF MY LAND!

Provrb1810meggy
12-13-2006, 04:33 AM
Hmm..I tried to do my own handshake, but it would probably work better if I had another person.

Akuma
12-13-2006, 04:39 AM
Up high
Down low
Pull my thumb
Gee, your dumb!

BruceJ
12-13-2006, 04:59 AM
Whatever you come up with, all this clearly points to the fact that you're going to need chaperones anyway, so we geezers will need to stick around.

Carrie in PA
12-13-2006, 05:41 AM
Whatever you come up with, all this clearly points to the fact that you're going to need chaperones anyway, so we geezers will need to stick around.

"we geezers" - I like that, Bruce, I like it a lot.

Are any of us small? Or at least hunched over?? We could be the Wee Geezers. We could get jackets and everything. :ROFL:

PeeDee
12-13-2006, 05:47 AM
I slouch when I write. DOes that count? I'm not terribly short, though.

This is just another part of your midget obsession, innit?

Akuma
12-13-2006, 06:04 AM
...and here I was expecting the younger of the audience would be the ones to veer off topic... ;)

BruceJ
12-13-2006, 11:56 PM
"we geezers" - I like that, Bruce, I like it a lot.

Are any of us small? Or at least hunched over?? We could be the Wee Geezers. We could get jackets and everything. :ROFL:

Or at least T-shirts. But I don't know...a "geezer T-shirt". It's kinda like making a statement of the obvious.

David Gonzalez
12-15-2006, 08:47 AM
For the love of youth, and I thought I was alone in this forum! Young people in writing forums exist! Is not a myth!

Thanks to thammoly who linked me here, and sorry for the overreaction :D, I'm 18 here nice to meet you all. So when the conspiracy starts? :)

JeanneTGC
12-15-2006, 10:01 AM
Oh my God.

I finally broke down and looked at this thread. I am now laughing so hard that I have tears running down my face, and I think I'm going to go into an asthma attack. Or a heart attack. Maybe both. I blame the youth of today.

Auntie Jeanne is far too old to do more than snap the ruler here and there when the youngsters get rowdy...though I have heard that the young folks like it when I get down verbally with them. (Oh, how I love Real Genius.)

I will have you know, however, that when Auntie Jeanne goes to her writing conferences here in Arizona (The Retirement State because oldsters LIKE the dry heat!), she is about the youngest one there. By decades.

And yet, I am ancient here. Oh, the irony.

(Auntie Jeanne shuffles over to hang with Bruce and Pete and Carrie and...umm...what's their names again...oh, never mind...those other oldsters whatstheirnames...)

P.S. I have seen most of you youngsters post on other threads and I would NEVER have guessed you were young enough to be my children. (AAAAAAHHHHHH! Breathe...breathe...) You're all a very mature and interesting bunch! Unlike we codgers, who are completely out of control and duller than dust...but we would prefer that you not mention it.

Oliveman
12-16-2006, 06:19 AM
Well I'm glad my thread amused you :)

As for what we're going to do, I've written all your names down and will contact you when I'm ready to set something up. Waiting to hear from a partner to start this up, though it might be a month or so.

Akuma
12-17-2006, 12:44 AM
Well I'm glad my thread amused you :)

As for what we're going to do, I've written all your names down and will contact you when I'm ready to set something up. Waiting to hear from a partner to start this up, though it might be a month or so.

Cool. :e2headban
I'm going to write in the mean-time, then. :e2writer:

emotemotemote

Angel~Of~Music
12-17-2006, 06:14 AM
Okay, I'm 14...All you "old people" are making me laugh a lot.. I'm sure my family thinks I'm nuts, I kept laughing out loud. XD This thread is awesome, and I am so in for the handshake. My friend LOVES jazz hands, maybe I'll make him think one up....

eliflauta
04-28-2007, 10:56 AM
I'm 14 and have written three novels. Young adult novels are my favorite things to write and read. I'm currently revising one of my novels. It's kind of girly, with a chick lit feel. The NaNoWriMo novel I just finished was a YA urban fantasy.

Yep, there's teens here! I hope you enjoy AW.

Hey, you're my kind of person! Except I'm 15. Close enough. I finished my first novel when I was 12, finished another a year ago, and then because I'm absolutely nuts I rewrote Lord of the Flies for a school project (I changed it so Jack becomes chief). I had 16 days and no free time. It only turned out to be 48 pages, but I'm counting it as a full novel. I'll extend it to more like 150 pages over the summer (when I'll have the same amount of free time as before, but whatever).

Oliveman
04-28-2007, 11:01 AM
Yeah so... sorry for the inaction for months, guys. I have you all on my friends list, so I'll keep you updated. If anyone else wants to join, just comment here! :)

BoyBlog
04-28-2007, 11:14 AM
I'm a 16 year old College freshman, hey everyone! :)
Majoring in Crime Scene Technology, which helps if I ever decide to do a crime novel.

Veniar
04-28-2007, 11:28 AM
Wow, this is the first time I've viewed a thread with such a concentration of young writers. Hi everyone! I'm 14 (hehe, I can still claim to be this young for 5 more months), and I'm currently finishing up my fantasy novel.

Nolita
04-28-2007, 06:40 PM
Too Young To Publish? (http://www.justinelarbalestier.com/Musings/Musings2005/tooyoungtopublish.htm)

On the off chance the kids don't have it bookmarked or commited to memory already.

Hey, does anyone know if prune juice lowers the efficacy of Geritol? I'm still not feeling any vim or vigor :(.

Niapri
04-28-2007, 06:57 PM
Hi, y'all. I'm 18, a college freshman, and I'm finishing up the rewrite (aka: stumbledraft v2) of my YA fantasy novel.

I read through most of this while I was supposed to be writing - nice to know there are so many young writers out here! Err...in here. =^.^=

Matt Lipp
04-28-2007, 09:28 PM
I'm an eighteen year-old college freshman majoring in English. My first piece is done and I've gotten a few fulls from agents, but nothing ever came out of it. I'm currently doing another draft and hoping to send it out again this summer.

Sassee
04-28-2007, 10:26 PM
23 is too old isn't it? <sigh>

Oh well, good to see there's a big group of you youngins in here :) We'll all have to have a virtual celebration when you guys become legal enough to drink! Haha!

Shady Lane
04-29-2007, 01:34 AM
I just turned sixteen.

Novelist in Paradise
04-29-2007, 07:54 AM
I am the father of teens.

I just found out what "emo" meant the other week.

Zoombie
04-29-2007, 08:18 AM
Emo means someone who is too dumb to be happy and too lazy to be dead.

I'm seventeen, and have written a few 'novels'. Not the quotes. The first 'novel' was a fifty page pile of CRAP! The second one was sure more exciting and had four ringwrolds, but it was still pretty weak. Then my next novel was actually two and a half novels crammed together with a really weak tie together, so that was kinda crappy...

Cutting a long story short: I'm currently working on my zany action adventure romance sci-fi YA novel, Electronic Life Form, or E.L.F. The reason why I call it that is because I wanted to have robots, but didn't want to call them robots, so I just stole the term G.E.L.F (Genetically Engineered Life Forms) from Red Dwarf, dropped the G and noticed that it sounded like Elf and thought, "Aha!"

Did I mention the story is set on a massive star ship called Harbinger that flies through the galaxy and eats planets for raw materials. It's picked up a large assortment of odd races (including humans) who are kind of intergalactic hitchhikers. One of those races are the lizard like Xorquin, who have sworn a vendetta against mankind for reasons unimportant to the story. So when the MC, the good natured son of a diplomat, accidentally finds a data crystal that has information vital to the Xorquin's villainous plot (turns out a Xorquin who thought genocide was wrong for some reasons stole the information and flushed it down the toilet, which is why the MC finds the DC in a trash compactor) adventure begins. The MC and his friend/girlfriend (who is a E.L.F, by the way) are chased up and down the length of Harbinger by the Xorquin assassin Hir. In the end, they kill Hir, stop the evil plot, discover the ancient evil that instigated the plot, kill the ancient evil, and have their first kiss!

Quite a story huh?

Oh and before anyone tells me, I stole Harbinger from the little known video game, Harbinger, which is about a space ship called Harbinger that's kind of like Harbinger, except instead of a zany action adventure romance YA sci-fi story, it's a rather lame Diablo 2 clone.

If you have read this far, you get an award!

britlitfantw
04-29-2007, 08:29 AM
Seventeen in 52 days. God, that sounds weird. Wasn't it only yesterday I turned sixteen? :Shrug:

Veniar
04-29-2007, 08:40 AM
Heh, I know how it feels. I forgot how old I was once and I thought, "Woohoo! I'm not yet considered a teenager!", and my mom came and told me that I just turned thirteen yesterday.

britlitfantw
04-29-2007, 09:15 AM
Heh, I know how it feels. I forgot how old I was once and I thought, "Woohoo! I'm not yet considered a teenager!", and my mom came and told me that I just turned thirteen yesterday.

:ROFL: And we think the "old" people have the memory issues.

Lady Esther
04-29-2007, 09:46 AM

You never know; I could be from How to Catch a Preditor ;)
I'm 12 years old and my mommy and daddy aren't home. lol

I'm 19 actually.

Lady Esther
04-29-2007, 10:19 AM
How do you go from this...

http://www.fjordsong.com/Pictures/Band%2050's.JPG

To this...

:Shrug:

DamaNegra
04-29-2007, 08:42 PM
Oh well, good to see there's a big group of you youngins in here :) We'll all have to have a virtual celebration when you guys become legal enough to drink! Haha!

I turned 18 in March, so that means I'm old enough to drink legally :D

HA to all you USA losers who have to wait until 21 to be able to drink :e2tongue:

Sassee
04-30-2007, 12:42 AM
I turned 18 in March, so that means I'm old enough to drink legally :D

HA to all you USA losers who have to wait until 21 to be able to drink :e2tongue:

Hush, you :tongue

(Though, that doesn't stop a lot of younger people from drinking, just so ya know...)

DamaNegra
04-30-2007, 01:18 AM
Hush, you :tongue

(Though, that doesn't stop a lot of younger people from drinking, just so ya know...)

'Course not. The first time I got drunk was at age 14, and I was one of the late bloomers.

Raphee
04-30-2007, 11:52 AM
N You might be a little surprised to find out that 18-year-old Sexy Hunk is really a 40-year-old fat guy who *really* wants to gets to know you. (Seriously, you *don't* want to get to know him.)

Now I really feel old. And I'm not even fat.

Angel~Of~Music
05-01-2007, 07:20 AM
Just turned fifteen and I keep forgetting it. People will be like, "How old are you?" and I'll be like, "Hold on, let me think a while..."

Writer14
05-01-2007, 05:07 PM
I'm a 14 (15 on May 15th) highschool freshie ^^;;I'm currently finishing up the editting for my short story that i'm going to send into an open call and then i'm going to continue my Fantasy WIP =]

Akuma
05-01-2007, 10:23 PM
Wow, I remember this thread.

Wanna know something funny?

I was 17 years old the last time I was in here. Now I'm 18.

Yes, I know, the difference of maturity is startling.

Akuma
05-01-2007, 10:27 PM
Emo means someone who is too dumb to be happy and too lazy to be dead.

I'm seventeen, and have written a few 'novels'. Not the quotes. The first 'novel' was a fifty page pile of CRAP! The second one was sure more exciting and had four ringwrolds, but it was still pretty weak. Then my next novel was actually two and a half novels crammed together with a really weak tie together, so that was kinda crappy...

Cutting a long story short: I'm currently working on my zany action adventure romance sci-fi YA novel, Electronic Life Form, or E.L.F. The reason why I call it that is because I wanted to have robots, but didn't want to call them robots, so I just stole the term G.E.L.F (Genetically Engineered Life Forms) from Red Dwarf, dropped the G and noticed that it sounded like Elf and thought, "Aha!"

Did I mention the story is set on a massive star ship called Harbinger that flies through the galaxy and eats planets for raw materials. It's picked up a large assortment of odd races (including humans) who are kind of intergalactic hitchhikers. One of those races are the lizard like Xorquin, who have sworn a vendetta against mankind for reasons unimportant to the story. So when the MC, the good natured son of a diplomat, accidentally finds a data crystal that has information vital to the Xorquin's villainous plot (turns out a Xorquin who thought genocide was wrong for some reasons stole the information and flushed it down the toilet, which is why the MC finds the DC in a trash compactor) adventure begins. The MC and his friend/girlfriend (who is a E.L.F, by the way) are chased up and down the length of Harbinger by the Xorquin assassin Hir. In the end, they kill Hir, stop the evil plot, discover the ancient evil that instigated the plot, kill the ancient evil, and have their first kiss!

Quite a story huh?

Oh and before anyone tells me, I stole Harbinger from the little known video game, Harbinger, which is about a space ship called Harbinger that's kind of like Harbinger, except instead of a zany action adventure romance YA sci-fi story, it's a rather lame Diablo 2 clone.

If you have read this far, you get an award!

I'll take a medal, please.

And don't even get me started on emo kids.

Siddow
05-01-2007, 10:53 PM
LOL!

OMG, ya'll are freaktastic!

*ahem. 36. I'll leave now.*

thepainpasses
05-01-2007, 11:05 PM
16 year old sophmore, currently struggling with settling on one idea to write, as each new book she reads steers her in another genre direction. Nice to meet you.

Kate Thornton
05-02-2007, 02:01 AM
I am way older than most of you (yes, even Pee Dee) but I damn near asphyxiated reading this thread - I am *still* laughing! Thanks for a wild and funny ride, young writers. I knew some of you were amazing young prodigies (Alan Yee, for example) but I didn't realize *how* young some of you are.

The cool thing about being a writer, especially on the internet, is that your age is seldom a factor in being taken seriously. I assume everyone here is serious about their writing, and I think of you all as colleagues.

TsukiRyoko
05-02-2007, 02:09 AM
I wonder if we have enough young writers to rule the world yet....

Adrienne
05-02-2007, 02:24 AM
I'm in your category of young writers, so I think this is a great idea. BUt don't feel offended if I don't trust you. It's hard too trust someone who you have no proof is being honest.

Lady Esther
05-02-2007, 03:17 AM
16 year old sophmore, currently struggling with settling on one idea to write, as each new book she reads steers her in another genre direction. Nice to meet you.

Ooh, I like the idea of talking about myself in the third person.

She's a 19-year-old freshman in college. She's writing a fantasy novel, but haven't written anything in 2 months thanks to college papers and exams. Joan can't wait till classes end in three weeks. :)

Faerlain
05-02-2007, 05:34 AM
ohhh... third person! XD Very tempted... very tempted indeed... nope, I'll stick to first.

I'm seventeen, working on my first novel which is currently only an unimpressive 13,000 words. I don't know what genre it would be. Romance at the begining, but more... modern at the end. ^^ I love it though.

*waves* Nice to meet all of you.

The ImagiNation
05-02-2007, 06:23 AM
I'll bite....

I'm 20 years old, currently planning for my first novel. I've written over 10 screenplays, one of which almost made it to production from an independent film company in New York. The constant college school work is making it hard for me to write because I'm not able to focus on one idea for a long amount period of time. I have a strong idea for my first novel, but it is pretty epic and I'm worried if I'm too novice to handle the sheer size of it.

Will keep trying though...

DamaNegra
05-02-2007, 06:52 AM
I'll bite....

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!!!!!!!! The ImagiNation bit me!!!!!!

Lady Esther
05-02-2007, 07:19 AM
*waves* Nice to meet all of you.

:welcome:

Alan Yee
05-02-2007, 08:21 AM
I knew I wouldn't be the youngest here forever, but it's all cool. Now I get to initiate you into the Cabal/Dragoon or whatever we're supposed to be this time. Just remember: don't play with fire, be nice, and try not to kill each other.

Oh yeah, and watch out for Dama. She likes to eat, er, greet all the newbies.

freshpencils
05-02-2007, 09:18 AM
Olive -

Perhaps we older ones have knowledge, wisdom and if you're lucky, the secret to life, to share with you younger ones.

How are we to impart these wonderful prizes if you isolate yourselves?

Zoombie
05-02-2007, 09:33 AM
Who said anything about isolating ourselves? That'd just be stupid. Who said that!

Oliveman
05-02-2007, 10:30 AM
We're up to 26 now plus my 17 friends from creative writing camp last summer, my 3 other writer friends and my cousin. The ones who I've talked about it with were psyched about joining, so I'd just go ahead and count them all, bringing our total to about 47!

Going into this, I am always reminded of the quotation by Margaret Mead:

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed it's the only thing that ever has."

We're in pre-pre-planning phase right now, but it's going to be quite the community. I don't want to seem like I'm isolating, but I'm just forming the core of our community at the moment. I'm sure that in the end we'll open it up to writers and perceptive people of all types. Just to give you a taste ^_-

I know it is unreasonable to ask you all to trust me, but I trust as writers you are perceptive enough to sense any falsehoods in my words. Besides, what could I possibly do besides contact you through having all your names on a writer's forum? :O

Probably won't be a major update on what I'm hinting at till part-way through the summer, when I'll open it up to discussion regarding the creation of whatever it is we're going to create. :) Keep responding- though I may move this to the other forums (e.g. roundtable, scriptwriting) soon.

bsolah
05-02-2007, 12:57 PM
The cool thing about being a writer, especially on the internet, is that your age is seldom a factor in being taken seriously.

I love this about the internet; and it's not just age. Race, gender and sexuality aren't judged before you here what comes through in the person's words. You judge on merit and not on stereotypes.

Lady Esther
05-03-2007, 11:44 PM
Great thread

Bump

Turtle07
05-06-2007, 08:23 AM
I'm a young teen writer (Cannot say real age. I'm limited to what I reveal. Parents are saftey freaks and I must abide by the rules.) and have been writing since 04. I have tons of ideas that I wish I were working on, but I'm focusing mainly on two. I think I may end up deleting one.

HourglassMemory
05-07-2007, 04:47 AM
Hey! I always wondered if there were teens in this site, and yes...it seems there are a few!
I'm 17 and I bet I'm the only one who's portuguese! Yup! Live in Portugal.
I've been writing since I was 14, it's been the same story ever since, and the story has grown by itself for all these years and it's great to see where it is now. Although I only have 87 pages of story becauseI keep changing and changing the dialogue and the events.
The stories I write are really extreme and quite unusual. I try to go for things that not many people would try writing about...like...a journey around a planet with characters that look like they've come out of 19th century England and the stuff they do has nothing to do with 19th century behaviour. That's actualy the book I'm working on. I have many other ideas, also very eccentric. And until now, I've been writing my stories in English...not my mother language, which is weird. I just feel more comfortable with English than Portuguese.
I'll be glad to share opinions and bits of my chapters just so I can see what other people think of what I have written, specially if it's people around the same age as mine.
I don't promiss being around here every week though.
And no contests, please! Long story.
Lets just create a space where we can congratulate each other and see ourselves as the masters of the unvierse.

JBI
05-07-2007, 05:46 AM
Pushing 18 here.

lazy_sod
05-09-2007, 01:23 AM
Hi! I'm sixteen years old, and I've been writing for at least eight years. My genres and formats of interest are all over the place. I've written poems, short stories, plays, and I've attempted novels. I've dabbled in fantasy, sci-fi, horror, farce, and everything in between. I always work on-and-off on different projects, depending on my mood. Yeah, I'm not very disciplined. So...the end!

misslissy
05-09-2007, 01:42 AM
I'll post here, but I already pmed you.

Oliveman
05-09-2007, 02:46 AM
I just turned 18 yesterday :O

I'm getting old!

*grabs his cane*

Turtle07
05-13-2007, 08:48 AM
HAHAHA!!!!! :ROFL: I finally got around to reading this entire thread! My family thinks I need to see a doc now. But it was worth it, this was hilarious! :D

Jeez, I guess I'm so young...I'm only 13...I feel very small suddenly. *looks up with wide, innocent eyes* :Shrug: Opps, I just said my age, oh well, no big secret anymore!

Reading this makes me wanna die young...

DamaNegra
05-13-2007, 08:57 AM
I'm 17 and I bet I'm the only one who's portuguese! Yup! Live in Portugal.

Nope. Truelyanna is also portuguese. And my portuguese sucks :D But I'm still learning.

And until now, I've been writing my stories in English...not my mother language, which is weird. I just feel more comfortable with English than Portuguese.

Actually, my mother language is Spanish, but I also write a lot of stuff in English. In fact, my first novel was in English. Somehow, I too feel more comfortably writing in English, but I'm trying to give Spanish a shot, too. So far I have not been disappointed :D

Reading this makes me wanna die young...

As long as it's young at heart.... :D

PenTeller
05-14-2007, 10:48 AM
I'm kind of new here, and I guess I'm pushing it, huh? I'll be 21 in less than six months.

I've written a few novels, all YA (well, there is that historical that was a YA, then turned into an adult, then turned into a YA again...this time contemporary, but, well, forget that) and some short stories. I'm not new to writing...I'm just slower than most, I guess. You can only write so much during Russian class.

bsolah
05-14-2007, 01:59 PM
I turned 21 in March but still classify myself young. But not young in the ageist way of I don't know anything, just young at heart and not so serious all the time.

maddythemad
05-14-2007, 04:27 PM
I got over wanting to "be older" around the time I was eight, and realized I was probably 1/10th done with my life. I've never cried so hard before. :D

I strongly dislike my birthday (Sept. 12), but for some reason, it keeps coming 'round anyway. I'll be fifteen this year, which, truth be told, is quite frightening. And the sad part is, the older you get, the faster everything happens... Except you. You get slower.

~ Maddy, already crippled by her overwhelming age and worldly maturity

Shady Lane
05-14-2007, 11:52 PM
I'm kind of new here, and I guess I'm pushing it, huh? I'll be 21 in less than six months.

I've written a few novels, all YA (well, there is that historical that was a YA, then turned into an adult, then turned into a YA again...this time contemporary, but, well, forget that) and some short stories. I'm not new to writing...I'm just slower than most, I guess. You can only write so much during Russian class.

You should try Earth Science. I wrote my entire first book in that class, 8th grade.

Welcome ;)

TsukiRyoko
05-15-2007, 12:09 AM
I got over wanting to "be older" around the time I was eight, and realized I was probably 1/10th done with my life. I've never cried so hard before. :D

I strongly dislike my birthday (Sept. 12), but for some reason, it keeps coming 'round anyway. I'll be fifteen this year, which, truth be told, is quite frightening. And the sad part is, the older you get, the faster everything happens... Except you. You get slower.

~ Maddy, already crippled by her overwhelming age and worldly maturity
Maddy, you're so cute. *pats head* :D You really are years beyond your age, though.

Akuma
05-15-2007, 02:13 AM
Please change your avatar soon, Tsuki.

Seriously, I piss my pants every time I look at it.

TsukiRyoko
05-15-2007, 02:54 AM

Seriously, I piss my pants every time I look at it.
No, go away. Kyo stays. :D

Devil Ledbetter
05-15-2007, 04:03 AM

Seriously, I piss my pants every time I look at it.What do you have against Courtney Love?

PenTeller
05-15-2007, 07:29 AM
You should try Earth Science. I wrote my entire first book in that class, 8th grade.

Welcome ;)

I read the entirety of the Davinci Code in my logic class, and still got an A+.

If I hadn't been so bored, honestly, I probably never would have finished it.

Akuma
05-16-2007, 10:25 PM
Bumping for the greater good.

TsukiRyoko
05-17-2007, 08:39 AM
Started this at 17 and now I'm 18 - getting old!

You sound like an old fart. :D Heeheehee

I don't mind posting my contact info on here.

My emails (already gave them to you, Oliveman)- <removed> (for those who don't know, these are also AIM addresses, just take off the @aol.com part)

And I can always be contacted via PM, just for the record.

Fox The Cave
05-18-2007, 08:48 PM
This sounds like a good idea - sure, sign me up!

I'm fourteen, but very serious about writing and would love to talk to more younger writers. I don't mind putting my MSN address here:

<removed>

Oliveman
05-18-2007, 10:59 PM
I find it hard to believe that there are no young poets on here :O Well, I'm one, but I can't really be responding to my own thread, can I!

AFS
05-19-2007, 08:27 AM
I'm 18...

Sounds good.

louiscypher
05-20-2007, 03:27 PM
hello O

Maybe the youngen's here think you've no literary credentials? Have you?
Maybe they feel safer here than they might over yonder with you? Are you safe?
And tell me, what of themselves are you willing to keep sacrosanct, no-matter where or with whom they may CHOOSE to roam, other than yourself and just a bunch of meaningless words?

This a genuine enquiry btw

J

PS: your second comment sounds like reverse psychology/manipulative to me, and that makes me pretty suss of you too?

temerity
05-21-2007, 01:50 AM
I would be fantastically interested!
Please let me know the details.

Oliveman
05-21-2007, 02:48 AM
Too true, I didn't fully present myself. My name is Oliver, I'm 18 (my picture.. enhanced.. is my icon), and just getting out of high school. Currently I'm working on a fantasy novel I intend to have out by next year, which later I plan to expand into a trilogy or 5-part set (most likely a trilogy). I also work on poetry now and then. What else? Oh, in 5th grade I had a short story of mine published, and this year won in a poetry competition with two of my poems.

Aside from writing, I have a variety of interests. I play badminton, swordfight, do things on the computer of all sorts (3-d modeling, programing, and typing in these forums and on IM, etc.), have my own business, and have coached junior high math teams the past 4 years. There is always sufficiently more to a person than such a list of activities (even more than we ourselves know), but that gives you some vague idea of who I am.

I know it'd hard to trust people randomly posting on here, but if you read my posts, I hope that as writers you can be perceptive enough to verify my honesty here. I've had dealings with dishonest people in the past, so I most certainly understand.

Oh and as for next year- I'm taking a year off before going to college at Cornell University.

And as for my second post, that's a little thing called sarcasim :) please excuse me for it

louiscypher
05-21-2007, 12:08 PM
Ahhh, there ya go lad ... now even I'd trust you with me missus or daughter ... if I had either - of course!

Tis a fine idea btw cause old people suck... of which I'm one, but don't push it lol!

Why don't you start a youngens thread here at AW - erhem, ROB - so we can all have a gander? Would be wonderful imvho ... you'd could have mentors and such too as there is much OLD talent here!

J

poetinahat
05-21-2007, 12:55 PM
Good luck with your project, Oliveman. And enjoy Cornell!

Is this project for writers in general, or just poets? If it's the former, then let me know -- because this thread would be better placed in the Writer's Roundtable forum.

Why don't you start a youngens thread here at AW - erhem, ROB - so we can all have a gander? Would be wonderful imvho ... you'd could have mentors and such too as there is much OLD talent here!
Just a suggestion, but if you have a request for me, it's far better to PM me than to leave a post and assume I'll see it eventually. If, of course, I'm the 'Rob' to whom you're referring.

Oliveman
05-21-2007, 07:35 PM
Oh good idea- I'll go post it on the roundtable. I just thought many writers (like me) don't visit that forum so often.

louiscypher
05-22-2007, 02:52 AM
Just a suggestion, but if you have a request for me, it's far better to PM me than to leave a post and assume I'll see it eventually. If, of course, I'm the 'Rob' to whom you're referring.

YUP

Angel~Of~Music
05-22-2007, 03:49 AM
I write during LA class...one of my friends had the same teacher last year, and she had that she and a buddy spent the whole class period playing 'I Spy'...XD Another great writing class: Alegbra 1&2.....

Oliveman
05-23-2007, 01:28 AM
there are apparently many Robs around here

freshpencils
05-23-2007, 02:26 AM
A handful of young writers have chimed in to say they write in class.

Gosh, I"m so glad my property taxes are going to a good cause. I'm so glad my school district taxes are also going to a good cause.

I'm so glad, in fact, that I'll think twice when I consider my vote for the next school levy that comes up!!

(Sorry kids - the real world intrudes. Pardon me!)

Oliveman
05-23-2007, 05:57 AM
Writing, sometimes, in this current educational system, is a far higher calling than paying attention to what is an admonishment of learning, and which brings this country's spirit and success lower every day.

Living in this system and also being a writer, I know

If anything, more educational support is what's needed. If something is actually more important than writing at such times, maybe we'll put it on hold till after the school day.

One of the main factors for me wanting young writers, is that we've all gone through the woes of this generation, including the dire situation in schools.

JBI
05-23-2007, 06:28 AM
Writing in class in lame. I just imagine myself writing in class. I have found nothing more boring that grade 11 math; I didn't even need to pay attention the class was so silly. The whole "no child left behind" bit really did a toll on the educational system, to the point where you have to be a complete idiot not to pass.

BoyBlog
05-23-2007, 07:56 AM
I don't write in class. Know why? I have to pay for each one now.. damn college.

TsukiRyoko
05-23-2007, 08:19 AM
Writing in class in lame. I just imagine myself writing in class. I have found nothing more boring that grade 11 math; I didn't even need to pay attention the class was so silly. The whole "no child left behind" bit really did a toll on the educational system, to the point where you have to be a complete idiot not to pass.
I used to write in class all the time. Thanks to class, I could write a novel in record time (and in pen, nonetheless!). I still passed almost every test with stellar grades, too.

I agree about the no child left behind hogwash. Most of the standard tests until recently have been challenging (and even a little fun, says my nerdy side). The new test took me 20 minutes to take, I got every question right, and John Hopkins started sending me their damned pamphlets again after I got my test scores back. The tests are at least 3 grades below the potential of whoever's taking them.

I'm usually not one to complain about an easy ride out of school, but c'mon. I think those tests were a bad idea, especially since they don't prepare you for the tests they haven't changed- the ACT, the SAT, etc etc. if a student changes from taking Bush's easy tests to something that difficult, they're bound to fail.

Words Are My Life
05-23-2007, 08:40 PM
I'm 23, but consider myself a young writer : )

RLSMiller
05-23-2007, 10:17 PM
I'm 23, but consider myself a young writer : )

Delusion is bad for the soul. :)

(Sowwy, couldn't help it :tongue )

eliflauta
05-24-2007, 02:42 AM
Writing in class is good for you. At the very least (very very very very very least), it relieves stress. At best, it makes you understand everything better, both the superfluous school classes and your own curiosities that you pursue outside of class. Writing is good for the soul, mind, and heart. Only music also has such an effect.

PenTeller
05-24-2007, 06:29 PM

Gosh, I"m so glad my property taxes are going to a good cause. I'm so glad my school district taxes are also going to a good cause.

I'm so glad, in fact, that I'll think twice when I consider my vote for the next school levy that comes up!!

(Sorry kids - the real world intrudes. Pardon me!)

Don't worry, I pay for my school. Damn college, indeed.

I really don't feel the need to be required to pay attention in a class I need to pay for to graduate, either.

Turtle07
05-29-2007, 02:49 AM
I wish I could write in class. :e2writer: I'm the best (and only passionate) writer in my class, and it sux that I can't talk to anyone at school about writing cuz most of the kids are "math wizards" instead. Not to mention we barely even do (and I guess did since the school year is almost over YEAH! :hooray: ) writing. Darn it, stupid school put me in the wrong class. :rant:

Writer14
05-29-2007, 04:15 AM
Being in an English class full of Math Wizards is better then being in my English class where everyone finds writing tedious and pointless. it's painful to hear people say who boring and 'un-fun' writing is. ><!

Danger Jane
05-29-2007, 07:18 AM
I wonder if we have enough young writers to rule the world yet....

NOW you do!

I am 17 and I write whatever, my first "novel" was horrible and I learned a lot from it, and now I'm a lot better?

Angel~Of~Music
05-29-2007, 08:02 AM
Don't worry. I go to a private school. You're taxes are wasted on the others. xP Haha! We had to take this National Alegbra test and I really wish I could've just written something instead. Biggest waste of time ever! It doesn't even count for our grade!

misslissy
05-29-2007, 08:12 PM
I go private too, so no tax dollars wasted on me either. And for the record, when I write in class, I'm already done with the assignment at hand because it's usually a math class and my teachers are fans of putting the assignment on the board and so I don't pay very much attention and I teach myself the lesson and do the homework and then I start writing.

It's my system. The only other time I usually do it is during videos but that's to keep myself awake!

Fox The Cave
05-29-2007, 09:54 PM
I'm 14, but vey serious about writing and i've heard i'm not too terrible at it too, which is always a good thing to hear.

So, can I join the group?

Danger Jane
05-29-2007, 11:55 PM
Only music also has such an effect.

Visual arts?

I write in class pretty often because otherwise my history teacher's voice like, soothes me to sleep. And I LIKE history. I get distracted sometimes if I don't write.

dancingandflying
05-29-2007, 11:59 PM
hey, look at me! :e2poke:
i'm interested!

peace out.

VonShneer
06-05-2007, 03:25 AM
That guy shut down the newer forum! that sucks! Lots of posts scare me...
I'm 18.. I too write more fantasy/horror/comedy - (OR aanything else)
I'd like to have some chit chattin' about writing and ideas and such!

Akuma
06-05-2007, 06:23 AM
We need to form a guild or something. . .like. . .the Young Writer's Association of Killer-Kool Ink. . .or. . .like. . .Oliveman and the Aquanets!

Geez. I. . .I can't write anything these days.

althrasher
06-05-2007, 09:19 PM
Still in the young writer cutoff! I'm 20, about to go into my junior year of college. I have a completed YA fantasy novel that is at the very end of its editing/mutilation at my hands. I'd love to meet other young writers-all my friends are music majors, and we kind of have a one-track mind...

WordGypsy
06-05-2007, 11:26 PM
Well, it appears I'm old at 26 but I did want to give you all major points (props? haha). I wrote all through high school but never would have though of submitting or anything. You all seem to have it together! It takes work and you seem to realize that (took me a lot longer). Use what these old coots have to say. When you can get around the ben gay smell they actually have some good advice ;)

DamaNegra
06-05-2007, 11:55 PM

I write in class too. Classes are boring and teachers always have to explain everything at least 4 or 5 times to the stupid kids, and I get bored when people tell me what I already know more than one time. So I write, since if I start talking I'll get kicked out of class and the teachers have already tagged me as the one who's always talking in class and disrupting order. Or whatever.

Writing, sometimes, in this current educational system, is a far higher calling than paying attention to what is an admonishment of learning, and which brings this country's spirit and success lower every day.

Yeah, the education system is going to the dogs. I don't know in the US, but in Mexico it's pure shit. The day before the exams, the teachers tell you exactly what topics you should study for the exam so you won't waste your time learning things that are not going to help you pass. Also, some of them give guides that contain the exact same questions that are going to be in the exam so all that you have to do is learn them by heart and then forget them once the exam is over.

With those incentives to learn, no wonder most of the population is stupid and ignorant. They're not taught to think or learn, they're taught to memorize. And memorize they do, taking in all kind of useless data and taking for a fact everything a greater power (marketing) tells them because, hey, they're used to doing it ever since elementary school.

In my ideal world, teachers wouldn't even know the date of the test until the very day they're handed the test and are told to have it that same day. Students would HAVE to learn everything they're taught, and really learn, because they'd never know when the exams are coming or what's coming on them, since the teachers would have no power over the exams. That would be my ideal.

The whole "no child left behind" bit really did a toll on the educational system, to the point where you have to be a complete idiot not to pass.

Exactly. There's a reason why the survival of the fittest has helped evolution reach such an advanced state. Because those that are not fit are just going to drag everyone down with them. So, everyone has the chance to get an education. Not everyone has the ability to make it through school. They should be given their chance and then left behind. It sounds cruel, but it's the only way to get rid of the mediocrity. Nature's been doing it for a long, long time.

I'm the best (and only passionate) writer in my class, and it sux that I can't talk to anyone at school about writing cuz most of the kids are "math wizards" instead. Not to mention we barely even do (and I guess did since the school year is almost over YEAH! :hooray: ) writing. Darn it, stupid school put me in the wrong class. :rant:

Most of my friends aren't even readers. Let me rewrite that: they hate to read. And they don't really understand why I'd rather read a book than see TV or why I'd rather write a story than play nintendo (even though I do like playing nintendo). But they sure as hell laugh when I'm so distracted thinking about my stories I crash into stuff.

Oh well, at least I've managed to make two of them like my stories enough to ask for more. You just have to send it to them when they're sufficiently bored to read it :D

Don't worry. I go to a private school. You're taxes are wasted on the others. xP Haha! We had to take this National Alegbra test and I really wish I could've just written something instead. Biggest waste of time ever! It doesn't even count for our grade!

I know! I was forced to take a test called the CENEVAL, which is pure shit. They made us take a 2-month course which consisted on teachers telling you exactly what information you should remember from high school because it would be coming into the exam.

"Learn this. Don't learn this. This is probably coming into the exam, but I don't think this will be."

Turns out, they scared us for nothing. The exam was so stupid I can't believe some people got low grades on it. I still remember clearly one of the questions:

34 - What is Islamic?
a - A rise in the tides
b - A weed
c - of the religion Islam
d - That comes from Iceland (Islandia in spanish)

The TOEFL is also stupid beyond belief, and still a lot of people get pitiful grades on it. I fell asleep during the listening comprehension part and still got 663/670 points. Some people didn't even make it to 500 points.

WordGypsy
06-06-2007, 12:13 AM
DamaNegra,
I love your sig btw...

reenkam
06-06-2007, 07:48 AM
I'm 19 and I've written 8 novels so far. I hope to finish at least two more before the end of the month. My first novel took me 3 years to write (8th grade to 11th grade) but my most recent took only 13 days. I'm usually write things pretty quicky now, since I like to get it all out when the whole story is still fresh in my mind...

It's cool to see that there are so many other young writers out there.

DamaNegra
06-06-2007, 07:58 AM
I'm 19 and I've written 8 novels so far. I hope to finish at least two more before the end of the month. My first novel took me 3 years to write (8th grade to 11th grade) but my most recent took only 13 days.

:Jaw:

maddythemad
06-06-2007, 09:29 AM
Reading what you guys all have to say about school (and trying to cram writing in during classes), I feel pretty lucky that I'm allowed to be homeschooled.

Guess I'm crazy to be thinking of going back to school next year, though, huh?

reenkam
06-07-2007, 12:03 AM
Reading what you guys all have to say about school (and trying to cram writing in during classes), I feel pretty lucky that I'm allowed to be homeschooled.

I've always found writing between/during class to be really relaxing...and I think I write more then, too, since I have to get the ideas down and do my school work.

happeejunkee
06-17-2007, 03:12 AM
coolios! 17 (almost!! one more month!!!) yr old newbie!!! this looks like fun. ive been looking for writing partners and people to critique my work for me.

anyway ive written 9 novels, 12 novellas-lol-and too many short stories to count. i loved to write a novel with someone around my age ( a Guy mostly lmao!) and...just..talk. about anything!!!

does anyone have msn? :)

DamaNegra
06-17-2007, 09:19 PM

Not really. Even though I'd love to be homeschooled (not an option in Mexico), I really wouldn't trade regular school. All the messing around during class with your friends and joking around during free hours or just skipping classes together to order a pizza and stuff... nah, I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world. You should go to a regular school, it's loads of fun. Except for the classes.

Shady Lane
06-17-2007, 10:38 PM
Yeah...I definitely wouldn't want to be homeschooled. I wouldn't be so proud of myself for fitting in the writing. ;)

Robert L.B.
06-17-2007, 10:54 PM

Over 20 WIPs.

Writer's Attention Deficit Disorder.

Yeah, I'm just trying to finish one before I start on yet another story. :rolleyes:

HourglassMemory
06-18-2007, 12:19 AM
I have also written a lot during class, not much on my stories but more like...on philosophical matters such as the universe and life and religion. Needless to say that if I have a bad grade in maths it was because I was trying to figure out if God is needed or not and if Life is meaningless or special, which quite honestly is more important for me right now then to know if x squared inside parethesis equals the sqaure root of Pi divided by infinity.
And I thought I had no life!

Curiously enough, I'm going to incorporate these thoughts into my stories, which even without these philosophical questions are already pretty weird and unconventional and just plain extreme.

I was thinking.....I wonder if any of us is going to be in that group of "Famous authors of the 21 century".

I don't know about me...I mean...I go months without writing anything. And I'm always wanting to finish my book.
sometimes I stare at the pages and correct this or that term.
I have re-written the beggining of my story about 4 times. I could write it in so many ways. I guess this is what you get when you're too imaginative.
I look at writers like, I dunno Chritopher Paolini and wonder if my stories will ever be turned into a film.
I think they can very well be turned into films but....the fact that I don't touch my stories due to lack of motivation makes this possibility walk away from me, if you know what I mean...I'll probably get them finished in 2040 or something.
They're really ambitious projects that require a lot of research and time and motivation.

I don't know why but I can't just write "tiny" stories.
they have to be these big extreme events that would look good on screen.

I'm gonna stop typing now.

southern_cross3
06-18-2007, 12:45 AM
Nineteen here, but I feel older. I dropped out of college for personal reasons and managed to get a job in pest control, while writing on the side. Sometimes it feels odd to remember being in high school only a bit over a year ago while I'm now surrounded by coworkers in their 30s and 40s.

At any rate I'm working pretty seriously on a fantasy WIP. It's interesting, because it's actually based on a sci-fi story that I first wrote for English class in seventh grade, which I then expanded during a study hall two years later into 100 or so pages. I piddled around for a while wanting to write a book, but each attempt yielded something less than satisfactory. Finally I had the idea of scrapping almost everything from the sci-fi story, except for the map and geography of that world, and turn it into epic fantasy.

It's very good to see that there's a lot of young (or extra-young, so as not to offend those young twenty-somethings) aspiring novelists. I would advise those of you still in school to take advantage of down time in school or elsewhere; write your heart out. When you hit the working world it's a lot tougher to squeeze in writing time.

reenkam
06-18-2007, 09:56 PM

Over 20 WIPs.

Writer's Attention Deficit Disorder.

Yeah, I'm just trying to finish one before I start on yet another story. :rolleyes:

Wow, I definitely have that problem...it's kind of nice to have so many options when you sit down to write something though :)

I was thinking.....I wonder if any of us is going to be in that group of "Famous authors of the 21 century".

I kind of feel like I wouldn't want to be a famous author of the 21st century...at least not with the stuff I like writing at this point. I just don't see any of it being considered a "classic" and I don't really want it to be...

...does anyone get what I'm saying? :o

Shady Lane
06-18-2007, 10:40 PM
Sorry, reen. I'd kill living people to be a famous writer of the 21st century.

Robert L.B.
06-18-2007, 11:18 PM
Sorry, reen. I'd kill living people to be a famous writer of the 21st century.

I wouldn't. I was tortured by the "oldies" in high school, I don't want to inflict that kind of pain on teenagers a hundred years from now.

Shady Lane
06-18-2007, 11:20 PM
I do! I do! I write coming-of-age! Inflicting pain is what I do best!

reenkam
06-19-2007, 12:02 AM
I guess I wouldn't mind being famous....but like Islaitha Frost said, I wouldn't want to be one of those authors you had to read about in school. Having books that are still appreciated 100+ years from now? I'll go with that, for sure :)

HourglassMemory
06-19-2007, 12:55 AM
Yes that's what I was saying.
I dunno, just a marking author that changed culture, like J.K.Rowling or at least write these books that if you say their name people will go "Oh, Yeah! I've heard that before but I never really looked into it."
If I can get that, I'm happy!

If my book was to be taught in schools I don't think the kids would get bored, really.
I write what I would want to read.
I guess I would have my little fan sites and stuff, you know?
Silly I know.

I have always wanted to create my world where people could dive into and look outside their window and think that my characters were out there.
I try to blend reality with fiction.
For example I use real places with ficticious events.
Look at Dan Brown and the Louvre. People wanted to go to the places where the body supposedly was and they want to look at the paintings and stuff.
I think it's great when you're able to do that.

reenkam
06-19-2007, 01:01 AM
I guess I would have my little fan sites and stuff, you know?
Silly I know.

Definitely not silly.....If I ever get published and find a fan site about my books with speculations about what'll happen next then my life will be complete...that's definitely a long term goal for me.

Shady Lane
06-19-2007, 01:03 AM
My crazy dream: I've always wanted someone to write terrible fanfiction of my stuff and post it online.

I would LOVE reading that.

Zoombie
06-19-2007, 01:05 AM
Hey, me too!

I'd probably learn way way more about the private life of my characters than I ever wanted to know, too.

Shady Lane
06-19-2007, 01:31 AM
I KNOW!

"Hmm...who knew Sash and Dmitri actually had a relationship on the side..."

DamaNegra
06-19-2007, 06:22 AM
I wouldn't. I was tortured by the "oldies" in high school, I don't want to inflict that kind of pain on teenagers a hundred years from now.

Are you kidding?? I'd love to still be annoying 100 years after my death XD :D

Lavinia
06-24-2007, 09:48 PM
For months...ok it was years...I thought LOL meant Lots of Luck. Guess that makes me too old for your club.

Lavinia

Angel~Of~Music
06-27-2007, 05:29 AM
Haha! Poor Lavinia...I would laugh so hard if someone wrote fanfictions about my characters! Although knowing some of my friends...it's highly likely. ;)

TheKnightWhoSaidNi
06-27-2007, 06:38 AM
Hey! I'm a seventeen year old high school senior working on a fantasy novel too! Word up homie, representin' (I'm white)!

Bufty
06-27-2007, 06:50 PM
Currently working on...
"The Calling."
A fantasy trilogy where a boy named Angelo from this world is plunged deep into a conflict in a fantastic realm which is threatened by a growing evil. There, he and many others will start journeys to find their own callings...or fall into the darkness that awaits them.

"Gems of Light, part one of 'The Calling'": 81,000 words.
"Sword of Sharom, part two of 'The Calling'": 80,000 words.
Untitled part three of "The calling": 40,000 words and counting.

Off-topic, I know, Knightie, but just thought I'd mention this signature blurb tells me exactly nothing about your story.

invisigirl591
07-03-2007, 06:26 AM
I'm a 14 year old and will be in high school soon. At the moment I have come up with three fantasy novels, two regular fiction novels, and one science fiction. I wish I was able two work on all at once but it's hard. I really enjoy fantasy though.

My fantasy novels are: "The Titans of War", "FANTASY"(calling it that because it is nameless at the moment), and "The Gems of Light"
My regular fictions are: "Teenage Life" and "Sugar, Spice, and Everything Nice". They are both about high school things that hardly happen.
My Science Fiction is: "The Last Sanctuary"

I really had no clue I liked writing until sixth grade when I was 12. All my life I've been coming up with stories, movies, and television shows. I thought I was just having fun when I first started writing. But now I hope to become a successful writer. I'm still learning how to develop stories and characters now and I hope that you can become a great writer. Good luck on your writing!

Hapax Legomenon
07-03-2007, 06:29 AM
Hoy. 15-year-old fantasy writer, I may be one of the younger ones here. Feel free to PM me.

Alexandra Little
07-03-2007, 08:18 AM
19 female looking for a hot sexy---oh, what thread is this? oh. oops.

Anywho, I'm 19 and I've written a young adult fantasy novel, but am working on a historical mystery (very feminist POV, since I can't help myself). I managed to get a short story (you could say prequel, since it's the same characters as the historical mystery) accepted at my college's lit mag (Yay! A Publishing Credit!)

reenkam
07-03-2007, 08:21 AM
19 female looking for a hot sexy---oh, what thread is this? oh. oops.

:roll: :roll: :roll:

Alexandra Little
07-03-2007, 09:04 AM
I was thinking of something worse but then I realized it could get me kicked off the board...or investigated by the FBI...

RepChristian07
08-17-2007, 04:17 AM
I'm 18, Just Out Of High School, Still Living With Parents, And I Just Finished My First Novel's Manuscript. I Hope That It Will Be The First Of Of A Successful Three Book Trilogy.

It's A Sci-Fi/Action/Adventure/Fantasy/Drama That I Believe Is Extremely Unique And Might Start A New Genre In Books Called Sci-Fi/Fantasy/Action

Xx|e|ph|e|me|r|al|xX
08-17-2007, 05:01 AM
Xx|I think my posting style gives away that I'm young--at least at heart. I have a flare for the dramatic. So sue me. :tongue

In all honesty, I'm 14. Home school. Hopefully to graduate from high school next year, but that darn credit system! Oh well. I couldn't care less. I'll graduate when I'm 25 if I have to. :tongue

My signature features pictures of all four of my primary stories, and how they're coming along.

The first is Whisper. I think I've figured out that it would fit into mainstream/contemporary/literary/other. It's just fiction. It doesn't have much action, not much horror, not any fantasy or scifi--it's a modern-day London setting. Granted, they're vampyres, but it's not the least bit fantastical. It's drama, emotional, psychological, but not "thriller". It has a tad of everything, but overall, it doesn't fit into any genre, really.

Epsilon (that's just a working title--I don't have enough of the plot fleshed out yet to name it properly) is probably high-concept sci-fi. It's set a mere five years in the future, but it's about how the human race is going extinct and this one rather "mad" scientist emerges with all this bio-scientific research, and he's their last hope.

Oriel doesn't really have a plot yet. I know everything that happens in the story, as in, history, present, and future, but I don't know which part I'll actually document. :tongue Anyway, it's probably the same as Whisper. It's modern-day, no special scientific advances we don't have, so it's not sci-fi. No fantastical elements. If it was a movie, it'd be a drama, probably. But I haven't seen that as a book genre. I'm calling it mainstream/contemporary/literary/other, for now at least.

Dollhouse is difficult to place. It's set in the future (kind of. Either that or an alternate present), but there's no scientific stuff. No fantasy. It's probably m/c/l/o as well, and also a tad psychological drama (who am I kidding; a tad? It's a crapload of psychological drama. I'm just pretty sure that's not technically a genre).

That's all I'll say. If I took the time (and page space) to actually summarize each story itself, I might as well be writing the books. This post would be hella long. :tongue

Toodles~!|xX

ZannaPerry
08-17-2007, 06:27 AM
I'm late in this topic, but I am almost 21, so 20 right now... (if you didn't get that and failed mathematics miserably.....don't raise any hands!) I am a romantic suspense writer (or so I would like to be.)

Myriada Star
08-19-2007, 12:36 AM
heya guys

Im 16, just gonna start a new school- got scholarship at british international aaand currently writing 2 novels
wrote couple before - got nice feedback from my cousin and ugly rejection (who s childlish u mean, mean lady ?! :e2moon: heh, not me anyway) i was 14 back then and it my masterpiece was a crap :)

anyway my current novel is about .... well u will have to wait till it will be published ;) im too lazy now
so better get back to writing

cya
if anyone wants to chat wiz me - fell free to do so :D

Azraelsbane
08-19-2007, 12:41 AM
I feel so left out, as I'm 24. :D I will go wander back to the 25 and under thread, where I will be welcome for about 4 more months. I then, of course, graduate to geriatric writer.

Danger Jane
08-19-2007, 12:48 AM
Poor Az :cry:

I only have um, seven more years to fit here? The internet will be old school by then

(mental note of this post :tongue)

OddButInteresting
08-19-2007, 01:12 AM
20 (21 in January) year old Theatre Studies student from the Heart of England, right here!

I'm a big fan of Alan Moore.

I have an education across the arts. Film, art, Literature, videogames, television, theatre, music, etc... Therefore my work tends to be a fusion of material from all corners of the board.

As for my WIP, I discuss it only with two people whom I know and trust. I tend to be very protective of a piece until it's nearing completion.

JLCwrites
08-19-2007, 01:13 AM
Wow, I'm twice the age of most of you and still like to dance to Arctic Monkeys, and Wolfmother.

Now I totally feel old. (Especially with the 20 somethings saying they are old.)

I suppose no one here has used the words, gnarly, radical, or volcanic.

*Sigh* Guess I should start looking for a retirement home.

:e2bummed:

Xx|e|ph|e|me|r|al|xX
08-19-2007, 04:51 AM
Xx|*raises hand*

I've used those words. "Radical" in relation to politics, gnarl as an action, and volcanic as in "volcanic reaction". I've used 'em. :D|xX

JLCwrites
08-19-2007, 08:05 AM
Sweet! That is, like, totally righteous!

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to take off my leg warmers and Cure jacket with all the safety pins in it.

Azraelsbane
08-19-2007, 08:13 AM
Gnarly, radical, tubular, etc... OF COURSE I used them, and Michaelangelo was my favorite turtle. :snoopy:

Danger Jane
08-19-2007, 08:20 AM
I use whatever words I want, man. I'm a freeeee spirit.

Xx|e|ph|e|me|r|al|xX
08-19-2007, 08:57 AM
Sweet! That is, like, totally righteous!

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to take off my leg warmers and Cure jacket with all the safety pins in it.

Xx|Du-ude! I, like, totally wear leg warmers!

I do though. They're cute. They lace up the front. :D And I usually wear them with leggings and a skirt and a pair of lace-up wedge heels. :)|xX

JLCwrites
08-19-2007, 09:28 AM
The 80s are making a comeback! *sniff* I'm so proud!
(Just stay away from the acid wash jeans! Yuck!)

Danger Jane
08-19-2007, 09:29 AM
Tcha, I caught on to that years ago. 99 Luftballons is one of my top songs of ever.

Oliveman
11-08-2007, 10:54 PM
Hey everyone. It's Oliveman, you know, the one who started this whole thread way back when? :) Well, I'm back, and I'm happy to say that we now have a website, and a flipping awesome one at that:

http://authoringideas.proboards75.com

Our group, Authoring Ideas, is mostly made up of young writers, but I want to be clear: we are not just a young writer's group now. Since I first posted this, the model has changed. This is a group for the discussion of ideas, and the artists who create them. Right now, we mostly have writers, so we have a portion of the site dedicated to talking about writing. Mainly, though, our focus is on what we're writing about.

It isn't my goal in this to make it an omnious or hard group to be in, just one that is pertinent to people who see problems in thinking or in action in the world around them (alot of young people, and writers, fit into that category) and want to have some place to share and develop their thoughts. That includes more than writers. The writer's club feel is still there, however - this place is also meant to be pertinent to anyone developing their skills - I'm just making sure not to limit our group in the capacity of what it can accomplish, as we continue to evolve and grow.

That being said, anyone who wants to join this community (though in addition to absolutewrite, of course! ;) ), we welcome you. And thank you everyone who has posted in this thread - many of you have joined and helped in-depth with this site, and others, for just expressing an interest in having a community of young writers. I hope this meets and blows away all of your expectations.

SpiderGal
11-08-2007, 11:41 PM
20. Will touch 21 in three months. Am I allowed?

Metaphor
11-09-2007, 01:37 AM
I'm 14, and I write fantasy. Could I join?

britlitfantw
11-09-2007, 01:45 AM
Please do join in! We don't bite. We have hats. With feathers.

Ageless Stranger
11-09-2007, 01:51 AM
I'm 17 and had no idea there was a thread for young writers!
I thought all the other teenagers were out binge drinking and watching big brother.
How many of us are there???

Oliveman
11-09-2007, 02:11 AM
Yes, of course :) I will repost the link again:

http://authoringideas.proboards75.com

Bring your minds and your passion for writing ^_-b

Ageless Stranger
11-09-2007, 02:16 AM
Cheer Oliveman, sounds great.

leenakincaid
11-29-2007, 02:31 PM
I am eighteen, and I write contemporary fiction.

PeeDee
11-29-2007, 05:07 PM
*throws all the dag-nabbed kids and their new-fangled talk into OfficeParty, then stomps off to take a laxative & nap*

Silver King
11-29-2007, 06:21 PM
*takes the pass from Pete and launches the thread to Roundtable*

DamaNegra
11-29-2007, 09:16 PM
*throws all the dag-nabbed kids and their new-fangled talk into OfficeParty, then stomps off to take a laxative & nap*

:rant: heeeey!!! *bites PeeDee*

Woops, we weren't supposed to bite, were we?

maxmordon
11-29-2007, 09:18 PM
I am going to be 17 on January, although Damanegra already invited me to participate

Oliveman
11-30-2007, 12:52 AM
This isn't about being allowed or not. You join if you want to. Just know there's alot of young people already in the mix.

kuwisdelu
11-30-2007, 09:51 AM
I'm eighteen. On a scholarship in college, so not currently paying for my classes, yet...but if I don't keep my grades up, I will be. This is not to say I pay attention in class, either, of course. If a professor can keep my attention, then they have all of it. But the thing is, in most cases, I'll learn better and quicker from reading the textbook.

Same was true in high school. I went to a private school, too, though. But whoever mentioned taxes going toward public schools--please support them. Our public schools reeally are in dire shape. I'm not even in the system and I know it. We're in trouble if things keep going how they are.

I can't write in class, though. Too bright to concentrate, and I find it hard to write if it's light. I need the dark. And quiet (except for my music). So mostly I spend my classtime here on AW....

geologism
12-01-2007, 02:54 AM
18-year old college freshman. I write (mostly maximalist) literary fiction, and I'm sorta between projects.