• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Virginia Kidd Agency

MThomas2003

I am seeking info about Nanci McClosky at the Virginia Kidd agency. I have read all the usual resources, and from what I've seen the Kidd agency has had a good reputation. I know that Ms. Kidd passed away, and the agency remains open. What I've not been able to find is an AAR listing nor info about recent sales. Any help would be appreciated.

HapiSofi

Re: Virginia Kidd/Nanci McClosky

Last I heard, NM was Ted Chiang's agent, and handling Ursula Le Guin's short fiction. I'd call that real.

MThomas2003

Nanci McClosky

>>I'd call that real. <<

LOL. Indeed, quite real. Didn't know about Chiang. Thank you!

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Still looks to be a major agent for spec fic. Can't find any web presence, though (not that they need any).

Fiendish Writer

Registered
Reaction score
Vaughne Lee Hansen

Does anyone have any information on this agent? I know she's with the Virginia Kidd Agency, so obviously quite legit, but I can't find any data on sales or clients online.

Fiendish Writer

Registered
Reaction score
And now I am a client, though most lowly of them all.

Signed,
A Very Pleased Fiendish Writer

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Care to share the story of how you landed this agent?
I've not seen any guidelines for how to query her.

Andrew Jameson

(not his real name)
Registered
Reaction score
Care to share the story of how you landed this agent?
I've not seen any guidelines for how to query her.
Agents at Virginia Kidd do seem to be unduly secretive, don't they? I snail-mailed her a query at the address on Virginia Kidd's website with a standard query letter + five pages. A couple months later I got a nice form rejection letter from one of the other V-K agents which either meant a) my query was interesting enough to pass around, but not quite enough to make the cut, or b) the other agent was low man on the totem pole and had to deal with all the really crappy queries like mine.

Anyway, congrats to FW.

Meira

Informant X03981
Registered
Reaction score
Website
meirapentermann.com
Is Nanci Still Around?

Anyone know if Nancy McCloskey from the Virginia Kidd Agency is still around? The information is sketchy.

http://www.katfeete.net/writing/agents.html
“. . .remarkably difficult to get information on; their webpage is nothing but an address. However, Martin Owtin reports that Brian Townsell has left the agency, and Nanci McCloskey may not be there any more either.”

Not on P&E under “Nanci” or “Nancy”

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Nanci McCloskey is currently with the Denise Shannon Agency according to Agentquery http://agentquery.com/agent.aspx?agentid=811

I had contact with Christine Cohen of VKA back in August. They have had a "series of unfortunate events" and were concentrating on their existing clients and declining new projects

Last edited:

xiaotien

bedazzled /bootay shaker!!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cindypon.com
near 5 month form rejection via SASE
yesterday. it was signed "submissions agent".

i had sent the query and synopsis
on 2/11/08.

natalieburwell

Registered
Reaction score
Vaughne Hansen- Virginia Kidd- Simultaneous Submissions

Hi there, my name is Natalie and I am looking at Vaughne Lee Hansen as an agent. I have figured out that she is still at the Virginia Kidd Agency (as of 2008). Does anyone know if Hansen considers simultaneous submissions or how I can find out?

Thank you,
Natalie

natalieburwell

Registered
Reaction score
Vaughne Lee Hansen - Agent Information

Sorry for another question but I couldn't delete the other one. Vaughne Lee Hansen is an agent with the Virginia Kidd Agency and represents Ursula K. Le Guin, Alan Dean Foster and Gene Wolfe that I know of. I am looking for bewares, other clients, comments, rants and raves and any other information anyone may have on Ms. Hansen.

I am also interesting in submission guidelines, cautions, stories and experiences and other tidbits that you may think helpful. I would like to write to Ms. Hansen specifically at VKA and need all of the information that I can find on her. I am trying to do the best research that I can but there is very little that I can find about her. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Natalie Burwell

herdon

What's up?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ipad.about.com
The vast majority of agents are fine with simultaneous submissions (initial queries -- some might ask for an exclusive after the initial contact) and, according to the Snark Queen, the ones that don't should probably just be ignored.

eqb

I write novels
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.claireodell.com
I'm a client, and I have nothing but praise for Vaughne. I'm not sure if her client list is full or not, but it can't hurt to send a query letter to the address on the agency website.

(And someone with mod-powers will surely come along to merge these new threads to the existing one about Vaughne.)