Adapting real old material

Status
Not open for further replies.

FJ and G

I'm not yet considering this but may in the future. I really LOVE some of Mark Twain's short stories, some of which have not yet been made into films. I understand that you need a lawyer for practically everything these days but since the material is so old, is it free to use?

mammamaia

go to www.loc.gov for the rules 'n regs...

basically, any copyright lasts for the author's life plus 50 - 70 years... i'm not sure if the 70 is across the board now, or still just for some disney stuff they had the pull to get an extension on...

FJ and G

Lets see now; dead for about 90 years now...

Interestingly, there's perhaps good material in the Bible (Charlton Heston's "Moses") and the more recent Mel Gibson one on Jesus.

I can picture it now, you have this great idea from the Bible for a screenplay to folks on the religious right, who'd watch. Enter relatives of Jesus, Paul and Peter, with their lawyers.:grin

NikeeGoddess

to adapt published material you can contact the publisher to find out who owns the film rights. if they're available then you can ask about acquring them. it'll probably cost you some big bucks and may not be worth it. it's easier to acquire the rights from lesser know published authors. they're more likely to be available and cheaper (sometimes free if the author has the rights and keen on the idea).

70 years is across the board

Status
Not open for further replies.