My daughter's teachers view on terrorism. (It's scary!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

eldragon

in a van down by the river
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lifeat42.blogspot.com
My daughter, who is in the 4th grade, has a teacher who returned from a trip that involved air travel last weekend. The woman told her students about her trip:

"A man wearing an anti-war (Iraq) jacket got on the plane with me. I was terrified that he would start attacking people, and try to crash the plane. I looked at my watch, and the time was 9:11."

The class was horrified.

My daughter told me this story yesterday, and I said: "Yes, except the man wearing the jacket was just using his free speech to denounce the war, which has nothing to do with 911, or plane crashing terrorists."

And this teacher has a four year college degree. She still thinks the Iraq war has something to do with 911.

Has this confusion gone on long enough?

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What worries me is that she thinks her watch bearing the time 9:11 has anything to do with it. Her watch is not synchronized with anyone else's and time is arbitraty anyway.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
What bothers me is that she's sharing her irrational fears with 4th graders.

eldragon

in a van down by the river
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lifeat42.blogspot.com
When I was in school, in the 70's - teachers never talked about personal matters to students.

My teachers were mean, unfriendly, uninterested adults. They didn't wish you a merry Christmas, or ask you how your grandmother was. They didn't compliment you on a pretty dress, or make small talk in any way.

I really think it was better that way. We respected them more.

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
*groan* This is why I plan to homeschool, thank you!

Reaction score
eldragon said:
When I was in school, in the 70's - teachers never talked about personal matters to students.

My teachers were mean, unfriendly, uninterested adults. They didn't wish you a merry Christmas, or ask you how your grandmother was. They didn't compliment you on a pretty dress, or make small talk in any way.

Being friendly, nice and interested vs. Respect is not mutually exclusive.

Or something like that.

What I mean is you can be respected as well as nice, friendly and interested.

If you have good interpersonal communication and people management skills.

Thank you.

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
True, but most kids take advantage of the nice teachers nowadays, even if they are respectable. Am I making sense? No... didn't think so.

nicegrrl

Banned
Reaction score
Does anyone on this board think our children (Mine and Billy's) would be better off if I homeschooled them?

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score

Just kidding. Probably so, but that's just my views on the school system.

JAlpha

Smilie Fanatic
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
diaryofaliteraryfictioneditor.blogspot.com
Pam, that's terrible.

My first bad experience with a teacher imposing his/her own values and or fears, paranoia etc. on my children, was back when my oldest son was in first grade. By the third week of school, his teacher taught all of the kids what TGIF meant. She was miserable in her job and was determined to teach her students how to be miserable too. I hold her personally responsible for the fact that my son is taking five years to earn a four year degree :D

Last edited:

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I had a teacher teach me that reading was boring. I ignored her, but my brother had the same teacher, and didn't read until my mom taught him when he was 8. Yes: EIGHT. Sad...

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
eldragon said:
My teachers were mean, unfriendly, uninterested adults.

I don't think so. The best teachers I had were all kind and encouraging but FAIR. They don't spew personal hatred or fear like this so-called teacher did, but they were not mean and unkind. That's just fear, not respect, that you had for yours.

Two of my teachers died last year. They were both wonderful, well-respected teachers who were very strict but fair. They had very high standards and wouldn't let us get away with bad behaviors or laziness. They were also our mentors and "friends" after schools. I have very fond memories of them and but I would never attribute my respect for them to meanness or uninterestingness. In fact, they were both very active, interesting individuals that earned our respect fair and square.

Last edited:

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
My favorite teachers were always the ones that were strict and no-nonsense. In other words, the most hated teachers in school.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
My 4th grade teacher was Mrs. Wilms, and she was just about the nicest lady I ever knew.

My 6th grade teacher was my favorite. Mr. Zoller. Every friday was creative writing and storytelling. He'd read to us, either stories like Where the Red Fern Grows, or stories he'd written himself. Those stories were later published, and when I was an adult, I took the books to him to have autographed. I am proud to have been among his first readers.

Reaction score
Kindergarten: Mrs. Cincotta. 4th Grade: Mrs. Prutting. 7-9th English:Mr. Dietrich.

God bless ya's.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
Only bush out to get you's made that you smoked his buds.

nicegrrl

Banned
Reaction score
My boyfriend is anti-public school. Im not. Im anti-private school. I wonder what will happen if we have kids.

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
robeiae said:
Armageddon?
So that's how a cinematic atrocity/Affleck vehicle is created!

SC Harrison

Dances With Hamsters
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
nicegrrl said:
I wonder what will happen if we have kids.

The news report would read, "The six month-old baby was last seen crawling speedily away with a napsack containing toys and a handful of diapers draped over his back."

dahmnait

Just a figment…
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
When you figure it out, will you let me know?
What is it with fourth grade teachers? I believe my daughter was in the fourth grade when the towers went down. She was devastated, not so much because of the tragedy; she was too young to fully understand what happened. She was devastated because she thought it was her fault.

A few weeks prior, one of her teachers has decided to share a horrible experience that happened on her (the teacher's) birthday. Apparently the teacher placed some emphasis on the day more than the event. Because of this, my daughter was convinced that something awful was going to happen on her birthday. She was frightened that people were going to die on her birthday. She thought it was her fault because it was her birthday. Of course, I didn't know this until after I turned on the TV that morning.

It took me a while to get the whole story, and I wish I remember what the teacher had talked about. I don't remember the detail, but I do remember that it was highly inappropriate. Granted, there was no way the teacher could predict what happened, but it should have never been told in the first place.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.