Story characters compared to real people

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greenwolf103

Hi, Everyone,

I don't normally post here because I've just been reading and felt I couldn't really comment on too much. But something's come up for me and I really don't know how to deal with it.

I have this fantasy script I wrote. I got the go-ahead to submit it to someone who offered to give it a read. That's not the problem.

What IS the problem is that I've been wrestling with the idea of even putting this script out there. The reason for my hesitation? Politics. The protag and antag in my story are similar to two head political leaders (one of them a fallen leader, I might add) that we hear all about today. Now, mind you, I wrote this script long before these guys became news. (Well one of them, anyway.) But because it's going out NOW and they're in the news NOW, people might say "oh, yeah, you just wrote some kind of fantasy with these people in it" or something. These characters are similar to their real life counterpaqrts, but only because one of them is the son of a former leader and they are both intent on destroying the other. But that's where the similarities end.

This story is my original creation. I didn't use any kind of outside influence in writing it. I even had to draw my own map and make up my own names. But I'm worried that the above is the kind of reaction it will get.

I realize movies take time to be made. And that this story in particular may never even get made. Still, it's a worry I have.

Lewis Carroll had the same thing happen with his "Alice in Wonderland" stories. Though I can't really say for sure if that really was his purpose with those characters.

Any advice?

--Dawn

maestrowork

Fiction imitate life. I don't see any problem with that, as long as you tell a good story. As a matter of fact, I think if it's relevant to today's politics and news, all the better.

mammamaia

sounds like your characters aren't written as the real public figures, so if you've got made-up names for them, chances are no one will even notice what's probably only so clear to you because you wrote it...

is this person a producer, or just someone who's going to give it a critical read?... either way, just go ahead and see what kind of feedback you get... if you've got a problem, it'll be made clear to you, if the person is honest and up front...

good luck... love and hugs, maia

Greenwolf103

Thanks, maestro and M.

Nikee, when that book came out, the author admitted it was related to the whole Clinton scandal (although not directly). And when Travolta was on Leno promoting the movie, he said, "It's based loosely on Clinton."

The thing with my script is that it has NOTHING to do with the current political leaders. But people might think it would, if it happens to come out when they're still in office.

mammamaia

dawn...

i tried to reply to your email several times this morning, and you seem to be over your limit in your inbox, so they kept coming back undelivered...

if you can fix the problem, let me know by email and i'll resend it again... i wanted to share something with you about the person reading your script...

love and hugs, maia

NikeeGoddess

Re: dawn...

The thing with my script is that it has NOTHING to do with the current political leaders. But people might think it would, if it happens to come out when they're still in office.
you might be taken as less than creative by a reader who recogizes the similarities your characters have with a public figure....like a cheap shot or lazy characterization. you can easily fix this by changing the sex or race of your characters that seem to imitate.

write on!

Greenwolf103

D'oh!

I recently finished proofreading my 365 Tips for Writers book ... AND I FOUND THE ANSWER IN THERE!!!! :smack

But, thank you, Nikee. :) I'll see what my reader has to say before I change anything, though.

Take care! :)

-Dawn

DevoGrrl

Hi

I'm new here. Well, I read the posts here before, but never participated, so, hi. As for the "characterization" issue, I don't think anyone will think less of you if your characters remind them of real people. On the contrary, I'd say your characterization is dead on. So I wouldn't worry about anything and submit the script. If the producer is reputable, that is.

NikeeGoddess

Re: Hi

well Devo - you're not a producer who might get sued by a polititian or other celebrity who felt they were unfairly portrayed on the screen (whether it was true or not).

write on!

Lady Elaine Fairchild

Re: Hi

You have no worry. That sort of thing is very common. In "The Day After Tomorrow" the actor playing the vice-president seemed to be playing DIck Cheney. Write your script and send it out and the best of luck to you!

DevoGrrl

Sorry

Sorry, I should've done this right. My bad. But again, I'm new.

I graduated from UCLA's film school 4 years ago (Producing major). Worked as a story analyst for Fox, Fox Searchlight and Dimension. Now I work in development... So I think I kind of know what I'm talking about. If the names of the characters have been changed and if ther is a disclaimer, no one will ever say a word. And if there is a problem, legal will make sure it's resolved prior to the script going into production.

BTW, Nikee, I'm also originally from DC. Got my screenwriting start @ the Writer's Center in Bethesda many, many moons ago. Had an awesome writing group there and still keep in touch with them.

Greenwolf103

Re: Sorry

Thank you, Lady Elaine. :)

And:

I'd say your characterization is dead on.

But I don't want it to be. That's the thing. My characters in this story are my own creation. Two politicians in real life just happen to start being like them. I don't think I need a disclaimer, because I wrote the script before all of this and there's no way it has anything to do with real life. It has more to do with a fantasy story.

But from that POV, maybe there's a silent round of finger-pointing going on with the LOTR trilogy. (shrugs)

NikeeGoddess

see my post near the top - i am not wishy washy - i try to look at all sides

but i do believe imitating or modeling a character after a known person shows that one is less than creative....but, that's how it's done sometimes

write on!

DevoGrrl

Then it means that your script is in touch with reality. Seriously though, some of the best work out there reflects the real world. A good screenwriter can never be out of touch with reality. A touch of something recognizable, something your audience can associate with never hurts the project. For example, last year's success of "Pirates of the Carib." can be attributed to Depp's exceptional performance. He made the movie by basing his character on Keith Richards. He used his mannerisms, his gestures, his words. Everyone who knew Richards immediately knew it was him. Now, neither Depp, nor Disney asked Richards for a permission to use him as a prototype. On the contrary, people at Disney were dreading the movie's release, thinking that Depp's over-the-top performance will kill it. Well... it made it. (Also proves that creative execs know nothing)... Anyway, my point (there is one here) is - don't worry. Just send yout script and relax.

NikeeGoddess

i don't disagree with you but there's only one diff - Richards is not a pirate. if Depp was playing a rock star then there might have been a problem.

NikeeGoddess

can't you see that i'm not really disagreeing with you? an accumulation of my posts suggests that. why fuss over a particular example? you can find specific examples no matter what side you debate; no matter what the topic. b/c in screenwriting there are no hard rules. just do what works!

write on!

DevoGrrl

I'm not really arguing. I don't understand why you are getting so agitated... I thought this was a chat board, so I was chatting... Half of my posts weren't even addressed to you and you were the one getting pissed off. Okay, sorry, let's close the topic then.

mammamaia

these're meant to be more info/help, than 'chat' boards...

that may be the source of the confusion... you'll notice at the top of the listings there's a chat room option on this site...

once your question had been answered pretty thoroughly by the helpful folks here, it may have seemed to some that you wanted to beat the subject to death, instead of moving on or going back to work on your script... get the picture now?

love and hugs, maia

Status
Not open for further replies.